Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone here any idea if it would be worth while going up north and filling 4x4 trooper with coal/logs suitable for a stove or would costs balance out with fuel used to get there and back.

Going from Wicklow.

Or any places doing good deals on nuggets or such that is suitable for stoves in or around Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭itsallok

Anyone here any idea if it would be worth while going up north and filling 4x4 trooper with coal/logs suitable for a stove or would costs balance out with fuel used to get there and back.

Going from Wicklow.

Or any places doing good deals on nuggets or such that is suitable for stoves in or around Wicklow

To be honest, fuel cost + crappy exchange rate, Idon't see any value in that, and I'm only 10 mins away from the border....

itsallok wrote: »
    To be honest, fuel cost + crappy exchange rate, Idon't see any value in that, and I'm only 10 mins away from the border....
    Thanks for the reply;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Has anyone any suggestions for the Sligo area. Is there much of a difference across the border?

Looking for anthracite and ecoglo mainly.

We have bought "seconds" direct from Arigna Mines - We haven't been for about 18mths as we have been burning mostly turf and timber recently but then ( before Carbon taxes went on) it was €12 for a 40kg bag. The "seconds" is a mix of ecobrite and cosyglo.. I think its good stuff, some bags mostly ecobrite - You are taking a chance as it is a mix.

You have to collect from Arigna but might be worth ringing them to see if they still do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

emg74 wrote: »
    We have bought "seconds" direct from Arigna Mines - We haven't been for about 18mths as we have been burning mostly turf and timber recently but then ( before Carbon taxes went on) it was €12 for a 40kg bag. The "seconds" is a mix of ecobrite and cosyglo.. I think its good stuff, some bags mostly ecobrite - You are taking a chance as it is a mix.

You have to collect from Arigna but might be worth ringing them to see if they still do this

Surely it would be cheaper to buy it loose if you have a big enough trailer .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I called Arigna in september about the rejects and ithe price quoted was cheaper by the bag than by the ton and worked out more expensive than getting the real deal from coop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Going from Wicklow.

Which side of wicklow you on?

vickers209 wrote: »
    Which side of wicklow you on?

near rathnew

near rathnew

Il check the price for a pallet of nuggets collected in rathnew in the morning for you

€600 for a pallet of 40 40kg bags of lignite union nuggets that's €15 per bag collected in rathnew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€15 a bag for 40kg of smokeless stove nuggets in Enniscorthy.Ordinary coal is cheaper but not sure of the price,I think it was advertised at about €13 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

zerks wrote: »
    €15 a bag for 40kg of smokeless stove nuggets in Enniscorthy.Ordinary coal is cheaper but not sure of the price,I think it was advertised at about €13 a bag.
    That's cheap but when you say ordinary coal what do you mean house coal/polish coal? There's a big difference between the two.

Dairygold co-op €399 for 25 40 kg bags of polish coal ending next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Grate Fuels just outside Arklow are €15 for 40kg of Bord na Mona nuggets. That's per bag so no need to buy a full pallet or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Aenaes wrote: »
    Grate Fuels just outside Arklow are €15 for 40kg of Bord na Mona nuggets. That's per bag so no need to buy a full pallet or anything.

€15 is the going rate for 40 kg bags of bord na mona nuggets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

€15 is the going rate for 40 kg bags of bord na mona nuggets

Not in Arklow. It's €16 or €17 in the town.

Apparently not in Rathnew either if you have to buy 40 bags to get it at €15.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That's cheap but when you say ordinary coal what do you mean house coal/polish coal? There's a big difference between the two.

Dairygold co-op €399 for 25 40 kg bags of polish coal ending next week.

Didn't pay much attention to the other coal apart from the stuff I wanted as I was tight on time.
    They sell tonne bags of logs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Didn't pay much attention to the other coal apart from the stuff I wanted as I was tight on time.
    They sell tonne bags of logs also.
    I love the way they say they have tonne bags of firewood :) The bag will hold a tonne of sand but not a tonne of firewood.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I love the way they say they have tonne bags of firewood :) The bag will hold a tonne of sand but not a tonne of firewood.

That was my way to describe them :),the logs are in tonne bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That was my way to describe them :),the logs are in tonne bags.

A tonne of what though ;)

Quazzie wrote: »
    A tonne of what though ;)

mostly air ? Do we win a prize ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mostly air ? Do we win a prize ?

I've just clipped my toe-nails.

Please send a SAE to:
    Quazzie
    Hairy,
    Nepal

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Whats the best price I can hope for for briquettes?
    €7.98 for 2 bales in the local Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Whats the best price I can hope for for briquettes?
    €7.98 for 2 bales in the local Tesco.

I've bought them in 25 bale bundles and they were €4.00 per bale, I've seen them in Tesco AND Aldi @ €4.00 per bale.

Looks like €4.00 is the bottom price around the place (unless you live in Dublin where it seems a couple of suppliers are doing them a bit cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Morris's DIY in Waterford have 3 bales for 11 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the carbon taxes have really pushed up the price of coal. sickening when you think china burns as much as we do in a year, in only a few hours. no carbon taxes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

2smiggy wrote: »
    the carbon taxes have really pushed up the price of coal. sickening when you think china burns as much as we do in a year, in only a few hours. no carbon taxes there.

They have a lot of smog and 700000 die yearly as a result. http://www.industrytap.com/airpocalypse-killing-700000-chinese-a-year-and-millions-more-worldwide/1581

vicwatson wrote: »
    I've bought them in 25 bale bundles and they were €4.00 per bale, I've seen them in Tesco AND Aldi @ €4.00 per bale.

Looks like €4.00 is the bottom price around the place (unless you live in Dublin where it seems a couple of suppliers are doing them a bit cheaper)

The cheapest I've seen in Dublin is €3.55 per bale in grange builders providers on the north side and ABS Building supplies, €3.75 per bale if you buy 4 or more, on the south side.
    But as vic said €4 seems to be the going rate

Briquettes 3 for €10 in ABS until Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Any other daycent offers on Briquettes anybody ?

Sometimes the wood just doesn't cut it for me.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Any other daycent offers on Briquettes anybody ?

Sometimes the wood just doesn't cut it for me.

4 briquettes for €15 topline arklow and few other deals.

Advertisement