Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Objects Being the focus of Paranormal Activity

• 12-09-2014 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Was just posting about 'Chucky' (sorry Annabelle!) in the film 'The Conjuring'. Has anyone come across an allegedly cursed/ possessed(!)/focus around an object such as an deceased's jewelry, bone or dare I say … a doll?! [The doll in one of the top-rooms of Charleville Castle at least looks super creepy!] …N2G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Nope and I hope I never do. Those films creep me out, couldn't imagine a real one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

King Tut's tomb was allegedly cursed but there are more interesting tomb curses
    Curses relating to tombs are extremely rare, possibly because the idea of such desecration was unthinkable and even dangerous to record in writing.[2] They most frequently occur in private tombs of the Old Kingdom era.[4] The tomb of Ankhtifi (9–10th dynasty) contains the warning: "any ruler who... shall do evil or wickedness to this coffin... may Hemen ([a local deity]) not accept any goods he offers, and may his heir not inherit". The tomb of Khentika Ikhekhi (9–10th dynasty) contains an inscription: "As for all men who shall enter this my tomb... impure... there will be judgment... an end shall be made for him... I shall seize his neck like a bird... I shall cast the fear of myself into him".[2]

Curses after the Old Kingdom era are less common though more severe, sometimes invoking the ire of Thoth or the destruction of Sekhemet.[4] Zahi Hawass quotes an example of a curse: "Cursed be those who disturb the rest of a Pharaoh. They that shall break the seal of this tomb shall meet death by a disease that no doctor can diagnose."[5]

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Thanks Ah I totally forgot about the tomb curses….

I read about these years ago… it seemed to be about balancing the idea of an actual curse with deadly consequences against 'rational' explanations sought such as curse stories to prevent ancient (and modern day) looters, [thinking of Daren Brown as an example here] powerful suggestion and, the naturally dangerous (accidents and illnesses etc) pursuit of archeological exploration ….

If I remember correctly, some of the 'alleged' curses had mysterious runs of 'bad luck' for some explorers.. I must read up on that again because it is fascinating stuff… shows you that this idea of cursed/possessed object goes back thousands of years …

I guess that there is a thread(s) on this topic some where that I must read ….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I had an experience with an object thought to be cursed, there is some info in an old thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53333076, since then the mirror has been passed onto someone and I'm unsure of where it resides now but did get some very interesting information about the mirror after passing it on.

Thanks Ziycon, for letting us know and the link to the old post. Would be very interesting if mirror was located elsewhere tempoarily without occupants being told of its 'history' so no levels of expectation or no 'sugestion', but it would be unethical to not warn the occupiers at the test location... maybe some test around that could be done if mirror is still around, thanks for the post....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

There have been many reported haunted dolls that have been sold on ebay over the years.
    Haunted Harold is an interesting one that I was reading about on a website a while ago.
    It should also be noted that one of Haunted Harold's owners was in fact an Irish woman who is named only as Kathy R.
    I cant post links but just Google Haunted Harold on the wordpress site and have a read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I was given a jacket as a gift a few years ago... It is a fine jacket, modern and stylish. No backstory, mass produced and bought in a well known chain.

I wore it. This is where things get weird... I felt a great sense of unease any time I wore the thing. I had nothing but misfortune. At times it felt far too tight on me, other times it felt baggy and too loose. Sometimes it seemed to change colour before my eyes, from darkest black to light brown and back gradually. I mentally designated it the "demon cloak".

It disconcerted me and I grew to hate it. I set out to rid myself of it several times but for some reason I always failed and it always turned up back in my house. It's in the garage now for I can't sleep with the thing in the house, nor can I seem to destroy it.

I'm not prone to superstition or hysteria. I've had no experiences I'd attribute fully to the paranormal. I'm not saying this item is paranormal or haunted but it certainly haunts me. I've never told anyone about this because it is, frankly, ridiculous. I know it is. Yet, there it is.

Wow, that is weird alright …. if you can tell us … who gave you the jacket?

Advertisement