Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Theory ban

• 23-10-2014 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭

In my previous dispute resolution, Taltos warned me not to mention MMT or the overlap between Politics and Economics, in this post here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92263973&postcount=16

I've kept avoiding MMT in mind while posting on Political Theory, but honestly, I forgot that mentioning the overlap between Politics/Economics was part of the condition as well - I breached that condition - apologies, as I didn't mean to.

If you look at the thread, the person who started that, appreciated me posting that - and he expanded on that topic as well himself - so it at least seemed like a positive contribution to the thread, and not disruptive.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble with mods/admins here, I've been keeping in mind to be reserved in my posting on PT, but not mentioning the Politcs/Economics overlap slipped my mind here - in a thread where the thread starter thinks its on-topic and appreciated mention of it - so can I please have this latest ban reversed?

If this ban can be reversed, can I please ask that mods/admins communicate with me, that a post crosses the boundaries (or is close to doing that), in some way short of banning me? I'm not an unreasonable poster, so it's not nice to have the first notice that I've stepped out of bounds (unawares in this case), be a ban - this is part of why, sometimes, I get the impression there might be some kind of personal issue against me, in moderation/adminning.

Also: Discussing this kind of topic seems to be a gap on Politics - it'd be nice if someplace were made (a subforum or something) where it's acceptable to discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi :(

I am sorry KB.
    I could not have been clearer.
    I see no reason at all at this point to go against the mod decision to permanently ban you from politics. At this point your soapboxing has become a major issue for the mods, I gave you one last chance not that long ago and I really hoped not to see you back here. I know you are arguing the other poster found your arguments entertaining but that doesn't change the direction I issued.

Ban stands.
    If you want an Admin review please request it but at this time I cannot spend more time going over the same ground.

Regrettably
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Okey, I'll request an admin review so - I really think some leeway should be given, in that users should receive at least a warning/notice instead of an outright ban like this, when they may be unaware they have breached a rule. Same goes with the previous DRP, initially I was just banned outright with no warning (from all of Boards as well), when I had no way of knowing I wasn't allowed to post - I did nothing to warrant it or anything.

Let it be noted as well: Prior to this, it was more than a year ago that I last did anything on Politics to directly trigger mod action (my recent ban a month ago, was totally out of my control, because I had not been informed I was post-account-close banned from PT) - so it's not like I'm deliberately causing issues or anything.

It would also be great if Politics mods and admins, could create a place where the topic can be discussed - that seems a great way to resolve this whole issue I'm having, and the thread I was posting in, shows there is definitely an audience for such discussions (as the OP's agreement with my views show).

Regarding the 'soapboxing' label: I think that is completely inappropriate to use for a brief mention, of the crossover between Politics/Economics as subjects - at the very least, the label 'soapboxing' carries the implication that my breach of your direction was deliberate, when it was not.

It seems an extraordinarily hairtrigger/inaccurate application of the 'soapboxing' label - I have mentioned an objectionable topic once (and unawares), in a period of 1 year and nearly 2-3 months since my general Politics ban started - so a total ban given one mention like that, is very excessive; I don't understand how one mention of something, can be considered soapboxing like that, as soapboxing also implies persistence.

There's got to be some more reasonable way of sorting this out - it's clear that Boards mods/admins have discretion to resolve things, without being restricted to a 'letter-of-the-law' "you broke the rules, we see it wasn't intentional, but you're banned anyway - sorry" kind of way; I understand all disputes are a hassle to deal with, but it'd really suck to see it dealt with that way, especially because I think it's a sign of a gap in acceptable discussion in Politics, where creating a space to discuss this kind of stuff could add a lot to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I've made a separate Forum Request thread, which suggests a forum change/addition, which I think would help accommodate the type of discussion that is causing issues for me here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057313876

It would be good if admins/mods could have a look at doing something like that, independent of that request, because it would perfectly solve the problem that both I and the Politics mods are having, by creating a place where this stuff can safely (without unexpected mod censure) be discussed - to me, it seems like it would be the perfect way to resolve not just this ban, but my wider Politics ban as well, as there is a gap in the type of discussion that is allowed, with no acceptable place for me to air my views at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

KomradeBishop,

As Taltos says - the warning given was loud and clear. You cannot complain about the suddenness of the ban.

When someone has the record of bans/warnings, etc. in the same arena you have, coupled with a final warning from a CMod then, yes, you are going to be subject to a hairtrigger response to any of your posts. The reality is you didn't just cross the line, you effectively gave the mods no choice without such a final warning appearing meaningless.

Sorry, but this ban has to stand. Feel free to petition the mods at some time in the future, but afaic, this case is closed.

As for your forum request, if there was ever a more obvious request for a soapbox, I've yet to see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement