Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campervan decision

Options
  • 16-10-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some general advice. Want to get a small campervan. The budget isn't great at about 5/6k but obviously its going to be something relatively small, VW camper size. Its going to be my daily driver too so I don't want something too tall or silly looking. Needs to get under a carpark height barrier.

Originally I was thinking i'd buy a something like a 10 yr old transporter / Renault traffic / nissan primastar / Ford Transit and get it converted but the limited amount of outfits that will do this here charge 7000 + euro for a full conversion. Way way out of my budget when combined with van cost.

So with my budget what is the best option? I want something I can get a decent night sleep in and sit down and enjoy a meal. Want cooker and sink too and a fridge would be nice. Outside hook up for electric is preferred.

Here's a few choices im thinking off:

1. Buy a camper in Uk and pay VRT.
    2. Wait till I see the right one and just buy here.

Which is the best path?

Regarding campervans I have seen a few possible candidates:

1. Mazda Bongo with side conversion.
    2. VW T4 camper with side conversion.
    2. Transit with side conversion.

The Mazda Bongo's are getting on a bit now but they seem decent. I like the pop-up roof. Are they any good? Should I just go for a VW as they seem to be the best for spare parts and accessories?

Again my budget is absolute max 6k and no more.

Any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

look for a minibus - transit, merc, master.

Buy a cooker/sink unit from a caravan breakers.

Get cooker passed by rgi.

Jump through the hoops re: sleeping accom and Table. There are murmurs re: height having to be 1.8m height behind the drivers seat, but i think this has been changed to "allowing a person of average height to be able to move around the living area" (or something like that), so don't really know how a VW would fit in. Others here may know more about those vehicles

Do the bare minimum to get the log book changed - get it taxed.

Freedom.(even tho i'm not there yet:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I'd stay away from Renault trafics, lots of problems. Add a hi ace to your list of potential campers, great vans.

Advertisement