Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1.8 update

• 03-09-2014 4:08pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts on the changes or new block types?

I'm firing up the creative mode to play around with some designs. I still use the Sphax PureDBCraft texture pack so everything looks much, much prettier :D I'm looking forward to making some hopefully nice looking ideas of a fantasy walled village together.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Shiminay wrote: »

I'm firing up the creative mode to play around with some designs. I still use the Sphax PureDBCraft texture pack so everything looks much, much prettier :D I'm looking forward to making some hopefully nice looking ideas of a fantasy walled village together.

I love the new decorative additions anyway, the new doors and fences are great. Haven't found an ocean monument yet. My only gripe is that it is performing a lot worse than previous updates. I get 30-40 frames but the movement is really choppy and uneven. Need that fixed before I'm completely happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Renegaid

I pretty much echo Dark. Its the decorative stuff that I love.

Also the new enchanting system: I like the fact that its not so exp. expensive, actually gives Lapis a proper use, AND you can't change the enchant by putting item in and out of table anymore. Good changes, makes getting a really good enchant feel more satisfactory.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Renegaid wrote: »
    Good changes, makes getting a really good enchant feel more satisfactory.

...yet more attainable and overall more practical. That needed fixing. Sure some mods use to (and no doubt will in the future) add ways to enchant stuff exactly the way you want it but its usually near the end of that mod's tech tree and non-random methods never use any of your hard-won XP at all :o

Indeed. There will, without any shadow of doubt, be a moment where I will rage to the heavens for the enchant being stored as a seed and not able to be altered until used. Sure you can just keep enchanting over and over.. but Lapis is gonna feel god damn rare now, thats for sure. Hell its spawn rate its <i>slightly</i> more common than diamond.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But from a miner's perspective its rarer as those spawns cover twice the distribution area of diamond, whereas you focus on mining the area where diamonds pop up... :o

• Advertisement

Yeah, thats true. Looking at Minecraft's ore spawn levels, finding lapis mostly on levels 15-17 seems to be the best bet. Typically I mine for diamond on level 11/12. So, if my intent is to find lapis, my mine with be just above my diamond one! Would've a bit more helpful if it was on the same level, but alas!

Suppose we better check they haven't changed Lapis's spawn rate/levels for 1.8? I dont recall it being mentioned though..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I can't wait to trade rotten flesh with villagers!! Anybody seen an ocean monument yet? I know I could look up a seed for one but I've never done that...

One great thing from mods: rotten flesh + sugar = leather. That was genius.

As to ocean monument, yes. I got spanked by the Guardians..

They look seriously hard to spot?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I saw you can finally do something with rotten flesh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ocean monument seed -5181140359215069925

Then head to x:-200, z:-250

I didn't last long before I was swiped by nasty mods.

Potions of night vision + water breathing recommended. The fact arrows now have different physics in water make the Guardians bloody tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Shiminay wrote: »

Out of curiosity. Were you able to run that texture pack fine in 1.8?

I'm kinda new to the whole modding thing but most sites are saying to run MCPatcher and/or Optifine but there isn't a version released yet for 1.8 so I can't seem to get the resource pack working.

Oh yea, since 1.6 (I think) adding in sound and texture packs require no modding, they go in the "Resource Packs" folder and that's that. So you just drop the zip file of each pack you download and Robert is your father's brother. If you want to have more than one, the order in which you add them will determine which pack gets priority - so for example if you take Sphax's PureDBCraft and GrungeCraft packs, you'll want GrungeCraft listed above PureDBCraft so that the Grunge textures are used in preference of the Pure when there's duplication of textures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Yep I tried doing that (dropping the mod zip into the resource folder) and then going into options and enabling it but kept crashing on me. Do I take the textures/sounds out seperately and rezip and place into the resource pack folder?

I also deleted the Melta-Inf folder as well.

I didn't need to do any of that at all I'm afraid, I just dropped a 1.8 version of the texture pack in and all was well. I did have a problem when trying to load the game with 1.7.x textures active, so I had to delete the Zip file from the ResourcePack folder when the game wasn't running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

So with bukkit getting DMCA'd, and a potential Microsoft takeover, I'm not too sure what the future of Minecraft is looking like.

Yeah, I'm not too sure what to think of the MS takeover.. its probably primarily a way for them to get to Minecraft's userbase for other stuff. In terms of the game itself, I doubt much will change. Hard to say though..

I'm struggling to understand the DMCA take down on Bukkit - I thought Mojang took it over and employed them?

Seems that there's been some sort of internal bust up and for whatever reasons, Mojang have asserted their copyright over the Bukkit project (as they are absolutely 100% entitled to do by the way, it's more of a PR Fail than anything else).

Just for reference, there was some chat about it on the Games Forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057287232

Oh man yeah, I vaguely remember reading a thread about it on reddit Minecraft. I'll see if I can find it, it outlined exactly what was happening etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement