Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I tell my daughter about her mother going to jail and prepare? Should she

• 09-07-2014 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

my wife will be going to county jail for six months for a money crime. . I am willing to stick by her and not leave her because I feel She made some stupid mistakes but it was out of character so I think she just got herself into a bad situation and make some poor decisions. And I am not defending her or saying she should not serve her punishment. I told my kids she is rightfully serving her punishment which is the right thing for her mistakes.

I am wondering what is the best way to prepare for this situation and how to handle it.

I have a daughter who is 14 and she seems to be handling it fine. I told her right away about it and she reacted pretty calmly. She later joked about how her mother is "the one getting ordered around now
    I think it is just a joke and I think it is better to be that way instead of being hysterical

I am wondering if she should visit. Would it be wise to expose a 14 year old to a jail environment? It could be scary or traumatizing. My wife says bring her if she wants to and not if she doesn't want to, but even if she want to it might not be right. Seeing the environment and guards and other inmates probably might be scary.

Never thought of the day any of us would be in legal trouble or involved with the police.

I wonder if there is any real benefit of visiting or if phone calls are better

I hope to handle this situation well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Depends on where you are living OP, your term 'county jail' makes me think you're not in Ireland? Our experiences of prison here would be a bit different to say the USA or somewhere outside of Ireland.

Advertisement