Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hope spurs win it in 4 now after watching okcs horrible 3rd quarter tactics that made the game almost unwatchable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, the way it's looking, that could be the case. Both them and Miami sweeping would be ****ty from one standpoInt. But for the Spurs to keep the streak alive and take it into the Finals to face a red-hot Heat would make for an awesome grandstand finish to the season.

On one side, a superstar led 'dream team' with the two most unlikeable but arguably talented players in the league today, but not much to offer otherwise. On the other, the very opposite: the definition of a team with unreal depth, a great coach and quality players who don't care for the superstar, prima donna image and just play for the badge. Plus you know the Heat are losing that battle, so it makes it a bit sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No NBA on ESPN UK tonight due to them showing a pointless international friendly between the USA and Brazil. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, the way it's looking, that could be the case. Both them and Miami sweeping would be ****ty from one standpoInt. But for the Spurs to keep the streak alive and take it into the Finals to face a red-hot Heat would make for an awesome grandstand finish to the season.

On one side, a superstar led 'dream team' with the two most unlikeable but arguably talented players in the league today, but not much to offer otherwise. On the other, the very opposite: the definition of a team with unreal depth, a great coach and quality players who don't care for the superstar, prima donna image and just play for the badge. Plus you know the Heat are losing that battle, so it makes it a bit sweeter.

I don't find wade unlikeable.

Lebron can be a pig when he wants to be, but I think DW is pure class. I actually think he's a better player for the Heat than the King is.

I think most Heat fans would agree with you, and I would have too until this season. He was the one part of their setup I still liked up until last year (with the Dirk thrash talk). But I think we're seeing a new side of D Wade this season as he gets used to being number two...a bit petulant, reactionary and not as much of a sure thing in the clutch as he once was.

He's got his act together, in fairness, since the Indiana debacle. But it'll be interesting to see if this re-vitalised Wade will last the next time Heat are seriously challenged...and the Spurs or OKC will most certainly do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Is the game tonight on ESPN?? Paddy Power and NBA.com say it is but theyre showing a Football game at the moment and dont have the Heat Celtics game in the schedule

stuba wrote: »
    Is the game tonight on ESPN?? Paddy Power and NBA.com say it is but theyre showing a Football game at the moment and dont have the Heat Celtics game in the schedule

Unfortunately not. I'm a huge football fan but it's ridiculous showing that friendly game instead of the basketball conference game. There'll be streams here nearer the time:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/125009/1/watch-miami-heat-vs-boston-celtics.html

I think Miami will win at a canter again tonight.

Also lads, the NBA Draft Lottery is on in 10 minutes, stream here:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/125025/1/watch-draft-lottery-2012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Cheers man, same thing happened with the game 7 between Celtics and Philly I think It was the last night. Hopefully there will be a few decent streams going around alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paully D wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. I'm a huge football fan but it's ridiculous showing that friendly game instead of the basketball conference game. There'll be streams here nearer the time:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/125009/1/watch-miami-heat-vs-boston-celtics.html

I think Miami will win at a canter again tonight.

Also lads, the NBA Draft Lottery is on in 10 minutes, stream here:

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/125025/1/watch-draft-lottery-2012.html

was just about to post a link for the lottery ;)

heres another one in case people can't access the above, they worked for me though :)

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/17388/1/espn-live-stream-online.html

I really want Washington to get no.1, that team would be so much fun !

Can't say I've seen too much college ball lately, how good is this Davis and what players currently in the NBA is he like?

• Advertisement

Any time I watch the draft lottery I can't stop smiling at what happened in 2008 :)

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/30/4526223/draft-lotteries-that-changed-nba.html?mi_rss=Photo%20Galleries
    The Chicago Bulls weren't close to the worst team in the league in the 2007-08 season. Their 33-49 record more than doubled the win total of the Miami Heat, who went 15-67. Seven other teams had records inferior to the Bulls. And yet the Bulls beat absurd odds to jump from ninth to first in the draft order. Under the weighting system the NBA has used since 1994, Chicago had just a 1.7 percent chance at the top pick. They sure picked the right year to get lucky, because the prize of that draft was Memphis point guard Derrick Rose. Point guard has become the NBA's most coveted position in recent years, with the league strictly enforcing a no-hand check rule in guarding ballhandlers. Rose's dribble-drives become just about unstoppable when you can't push and grab him off the pick-and-roll. Just three seasons later Rose was named NBA Most Valuable Player.

Hes a great talent, excellent defensive player but also good on offense. I think he could develop into a Tim Duncan like talent.

Jesus christ they draw these things out

Unbelievable ! Stern is going to be hearing a lot of fix claims (in jest of course ! )

Jesus, Michael Jordan will be gutted. I was almost sure the Bobcats would get the #1 pick this year. They'll be right up there again next year anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

2012 Draft order:

New Orleans Hornets

Charlotte Bobcats

Washington Wizards

Cleveland Cavaliers

Sacramento Kings

Brooklyn Nets (Pick goes to Portland Trail Blazers as it wasn't a Top 3 pick)

Golden State Warriors (Pick kept as it was a top #7 pick via Utah Jazz)

Toronto Raptors

Detroit Pistons

New Orleans Hornets

Portland Trail-Blazers

Milwaukee Bucks

Phoenix Suns

Houston Rockets

Philadelphia 76ers

Houston Rockets (Pick from New York Knicks)

Dallas Mavericks

Minnesota Timberwolves (Pick from Utah Jazz)

Orlando Magic

Denver Nuggets

Boston Celtics

Boston Celtics (Pick from L.A. Clippers via OKC)

Atlanta Hawks

Cleveland Cavaliers (Pick from L.A. Lakers)

Memphis Grizzles

Indiana Pacers

Miami Heat

Oklahoma City Thunder

Chicago Bulls

Golden State Warriors (Pick from San Antonio Spurs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Can't say I've seen too much college ball lately, how good is this Davis and what players currently in the NBA is he like?

Watched a couple of games and he does look pretty impressive, his main attribute is defense, something which does carry straight over to the NBA. We often see big scorers in college come to the NBA and do nothing but defense and rebounds usually bodes well for a successful NBA career, something that Davis has, he will be work on his offense and could become a lethal player.

Duncan is one comparison, also heard Garnett and Chandler comparisons, obviously no way could anyone predict him becoming as good as these players but he does hold many of the attributes they posses but not on their level yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Boston robbed. Unbelievable game from Rondo, he must be exhausted!

How has that foul not been called on Wade? It's as clear as day! Rondo should have been shooting 2 FT's but no foul is called and the Heat get a layup on the transition.

Shocking really. Got to feel for Boston, it's very difficult to win games when you're dealing with that sort of officiating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NewBoss

How has that foul not been called on Wade? It's as clear as day! Rondo should have been shooting 2 FT's but no foul is called and the Heat get a layup on the transition.

Shocking really. Got to feel for Boston, it's very difficult to win games when you're dealing with that sort of officiating.

Agreed. Pierce's last foul as well should have been a no-call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Refs continued again tonight with some poor calls, disapointing to say the least.
    Celtics will definitely feel like this was one that really got away from them and while it is easy to blame the refs, I think Boston have only themselves to blame, their inability tox LeBron out at key moments cost them big time.
    Give credit to LeBron, he was immense at times and got some key offensive rebounds and buckets.
    Rondo was brilliant and deserved more, Ray Allen looks like he should be sent to the glue factory.

Now THAT was a conference final. Boston are going to be wondering what they need to do to win with Rondo scoring a double double with 44pts and phasing Wade out successfully for so long. Have to feel for them with the officiating they've gone up against so far. But great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

didnt see the game but if he scored 44 points it looks like rondos shooting more and more as the years go on does this put him as one of the to 3 pgs in the nba as i know shooting was the main reason he was kept out before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lot of people complaining here about awful calls, and there were some terrible call, but those same calls going against The Celtics last night will go for them now the series shifts back to Boston.

Rondo was out of this world last night, if he is hitting that jump shot, in my opinion he is the best point guard in the NBA. He didn't deserve to be on the losing team last night, 44-10-8, that was a performance for the ages. But for Boston to have a chance they can't rely so heavily on Rondo. Allen has to step up, Garnet had 18 points but it took him 18 shots to get there. Pierce was 0-5 from 3 point range shot 42% from the field, but had 21 points. Also Pietrus has done nothing in this series so far, 3 points in 28 mins, Doc needs to get more production out of him, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

nerd69 wrote: »
    didnt see the game but if he scored 44 points it looks like rondos shooting more and more as the years go on does this put him as one of the to 3 pgs in the nba as i know shooting was the main reason he was kept out before
    I think that was always more of a media thing to be fair. His shooting was somewhat patchy but never terrible. The role of a PG is not scoring. It's being a leader on the floor a dictating the pace and style of the teams play.
    For that reason I've had Rondo as a top 3 PG since his championship year as he managed to get PP, KG and Ray Allen enough shots to keep them all happy while playing winning basketball.

Also what the hell are my Lakers playing at. Why do we always trade away draft picks. There may be a case for using our amnesty on Kobe to free up some cap space for a few free agents

also what do the bobcats have to do to get a break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

nerd69 wrote: »
    also what do the bobcats have to do to get a break

I'm glad they didn't get the #1 pick.
    Performances in 2nd half of the season were disgraceful (routinely blown out by 20-30 pts). They basically wanted to finish last to have the best chance of the #1 pick.
    Other teams near the bottom were still trying, so I'm glad one of them got it.

BQQ wrote: »
    I'm glad they didn't get the #1 pick.
    Performances in 2nd half of the season were disgraceful (routinely blown out by 20-30 pts). They basically wanted to finish last to have the best chance of the #1 pick.
    Other teams near the bottom were still trying, so I'm glad one of them got it.

good point cant argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Felexicon wrote: »
    I think that was always more of a media thing to be fair. His shooting was somewhat patchy but never terrible. The role of a PG is not scoring. It's being a leader on the floor a dictating the pace and style of the teams play.
    For that reason I've had Rondo as a top 3 PG since his championship year as he managed to get PP, KG and Ray Allen enough shots to keep them all happy while playing winning basketball.

Also what the hell are my Lakers playing at. Why do we always trade away draft picks. There may be a case for using our amnesty on Kobe to free up some cap space for a few free agents

Who are your top 3 PGs?
    1. Rose
    2. CP3
    3. Rondo

Kyrie Irving will be pushing to knock someone down that list in the next 2 seasons I reckon.
    Off the top of my head no other PG has overly impressed me this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm just glad because Jordan strikes me as a bit of a sh1tc**t since he stopped playing. There are multiple stories of him stopping practice to shout at players which totally undermines the coach

Advertisement