Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuition Fees cost?

Options
  • 19-08-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Hello, so I previously did a software dev course in Carlow in 2012/13 but left in 1st year now I am going back to study Tv and Media production.

Im just wondering how much the tuition fees are as I cannot find any information anywhere about it and Ive emailed the college several times?

Im aware the contribution charge is €3000

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Seeing as you'll be a first year student again, and probably not eligible for a SUSI grant if you've had one within the past 5 years, the fees (contribution charge) would be 3,000 a year. If you have however had one in the past 5 years and it covered first year, I believe you can apply for the grant to cover you from year 2 onwards. Best to also email SUSI if this is the case.

You can find out more information on this page, and there are email links on the left side of the page to the people able to provide further information.

Link to info

Hopefully you can this out, as registration is soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

entropi wrote: »
    Seeing as you'll be a first year student again, and probably not eligible for a SUSI grant if you've had one within the past 5 years, the fees (contribution charge) would be 3,000 a year. If you have however had one in the past 5 years and it covered first year, I believe you can apply for the grant to cover you from year 2 onwards. Best to also email SUSI if this is the case.

You can find out more information on this page, and there are email links on the left side of the page to the people able to provide further information.

Link to info

Hopefully you can this out, as registration is soon.

Yeah Im currently applying for Susi under the exceptional circumstances rule as I dropped out due to my mother developing a rare kidney disease ane being hospitalised for over a month. But Im not relying on that.

I know Ive to most likely pay the 3k charge but there's also tuition fees, I have no idea how much these are and I cant find the info anywhere, even on the it carlow website, and Ive emailed them twice

Nevermind I found it on a pdf file. So it's €250 for a level 7, €819 for a level 8 and €1450 for Engineering level 8.

Which leads me to another question - My course falls under the Aero, Mechanical and Electronic Engineering department.

So are the €1450 fees for the Engineering course specifically or the entire department, including my course?

Please god tell me its the former

AND if that is the case - There is also a Tv and Media Production level 7 which I have as my first choice that is the same course and will allow me to progress into year 4 if I want to. So would I be better off accepting that and paying the €250 fee?

I would hope that it is the former, however I have no information about that myself, sadly. The people who could answer that best would be college admissions themselves, or former students on that course who may see your posts here and reply. It does seem strange to me to have it under the title of engineering, as I thought it was under the arts title.

As for whether you should start with the level 7 and have that option of an extra year to finish the level 8? It does seem like a good idea on paper, the overall fees may/would be lower, however that would ultimately be your decision in the end :)

entropi wrote: »
    I would hope that it is the former, however I have no information about that myself, sadly. The people who could answer that best would be college admissions themselves, or former students on that course who may see your posts here and reply. It does seem strange to me to have it under the title of engineering, as I thought it was under the arts title.

As for whether you should start with the level 7 and have that option of an extra year to finish the level 8? It does seem like a good idea on paper, the overall fees may/would be lower, however that would ultimately be your decision in the end :)

Yeah Ive emailed the course directors anyway

The only issue I have with doing the level 7 is, and I dont mean to sound like a dickhead, but the students are gonna be of a lower standard.

Both courses only have 15 places and there's a lot of group work involved so I think it'd be better for me in the long run to work with students of a higher level. Not sure if thats worth an extra €1200 Ill have to think about it a lot.

• Advertisement

TheStook wrote: »
    Yeah Ive emailed the course directors anyway

The only issue I have with doing the level 7 is, and I dont mean to sound like a dickhead, but the students are gonna be of a lower standard.

Both courses only have 15 places and there's a lot of group work involved so I think it'd be better for me in the long run to work with students of a higher level. Not sure if thats worth an extra €1200 Ill have to think about it a lot.
    I've been on a course with a tight-knit group there so I understand where you are coming from, but that seems like a very dim view of your potential degree classmates, a lvl 7 or 8 is still a degree and that course looks fun, but challenging. I know two people (one, a former housemate) who done that level 7 a few years ago and went on to decent jobs and were pretty intelligent people, so it may sound a bit dickish. However, a degree is a degree, not always an easy thing to achieve, and lvl 7 or 8, it will still improve your chances in life afterwards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've been on both level 7 and level 8 courses. No difference in the intelligence on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

It is more than likely that the level 7 and the level 8 students will be in the same class... with no difference in how they are treated by the lecturers.

Advertisement