Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good office/formal matetnity clothes

• 16-04-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for shops or websites for smart, business clothes for maternity wear please. A colleague recommended Nelo Maternity in Dublin 2 but it seems they have closed. So any other suggestions or recommendations? Most places I've seen carry more casual ranges only, which doesn't really work for my job. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

fiona-f wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations for shops or websites for smart, business clothes for maternity wear please. A colleague recommended Nelo Maternity in Dublin 2 but it seems they have closed. So any other suggestions or recommendations? Most places I've seen carry more casual ranges only, which doesn't really work for my job. Thank you.

I got some stuff from debehams, black trousers and a few dresses, all worked well for work - normal work wear is suits. I did also get some stuff from nelo maternity. Have a look at cherishme.ie, I've bought some nursing stuff from them, they had formal maternity stuff but I didn't look through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My best workwear came from benetton maternity range. They don't have a maternity section in cork anymore though.

I also got some good quality skirts, tights and trousers from beautiful bumps. Online here. http://www.beautifulbumps.ie

I got a lot of use from this top (i got it on sale in two colours) and also from wrap dresses. http://www.beautifulbumps.ie/store/store.php?pg1-cid62.html

How formal is your work? Full suits? Blazers work fine over maternity tops right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks all, yes my normal office wear is very formal (full suit at least four days a week)and it's enough of a struggle to be treated as seriously when pregnant without sending out visible signals through a completely new soft, flowy wardrobe. So thanks for those sites and suggestions. It may also be time for me to resurrect my sewing machine and start adding stretch panels to some of my existing office clothes as the market does not seem to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Try Seraphine.com - I only got a wrap dress and cardigan from them the last time but think I will splash out on trousers and a skirt from them this time. previously I made do with bits from h&m and the like but really they were more casual than I would have liked and by the end I was sick of always looking like I thought every day was casual Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Perhaps look at Isabelle Oliver. Very clever pregnancy clothes that grow with you. I got a loan of one of her wrap dresses. It was gorgeous but the sizes are big. I'd say a small is really a medium.

http://www.isabellaoliver.com/uk/m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

try jojomaman bebe on Wicklow street - they also have a website. They have grey/black trousers and pencil skirts and a black maternity jacket to go with the trousers. They're the only clothes that I've found that look smart and don't need a bump band..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

http://shop.boobdesign.com/

I came across this site on a recommendation on the Fashion and Appearance forum and think the stuff looks good. I think I'll try a few things when I can't wear any of my own clothes any more (so far I'm still able to wear almost everything I had pre pregnancy) and will report back.

The boob bras are fab! I've worn them since my daughter was born. I also had a couple of their feeding tops. I got the pregnancy ones as they hid the wobbly bits and would be lovely during pregnancy too. They're stuff is expensive but very good quality. They have a 20% discount code until 30th April VIP14BOOB-20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

The boob bras are fab! I've worn them since my daughter was born. I also had a couple of their feeding tops. I got the pregnancy ones as they hid the wobbly bits and would be lovely during pregnancy too. They're stuff is expensive but very good quality. They have a 20% discount code until 30th April VIP14BOOB-20

Thanks for that.
    The stuff isn't the cheapest but its nice, some of the things I'd like the look of anyway even if I wasn't pregnant which is nice not to have to make a big departure from the type of clothes you'd wear anyway. Also the fact that a lot of the tops in particular work for maternity wear and breastfeeding means that you could get lots of wear out of them.

On a connected but different question, if you're hardly showing at all should you wait before buying any maternity clothing?
    Most of my own clothes still fit but I am getting uncomfortable in some of my jeans now, especially as the day wears on. I was thinking of getting a pair of skinny jeans but I'm worried that if I buy them before I need them really then I'll end up with things that are entirely the wrong size and fit.
    I'm going on holidays for the first two weeks in June and will be 23 weeks when I'm going away so I imagine I'll be bigger by then but if I want to buy online I might not have the stuff before I go. :confused:

I started wearing maternity trousers around 18 weeks on both pregnancies but my waist seemed to disappear immediately. I'd buy trousers/skirts/jeans first as you'll most likely need them by 23 weeks.

I think I got mine in a size 12 as I'm usually a 10 and they fitted me right to the end. I loved the h&m over the bump ones. So comfie!

• Advertisement
Advertisement