Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might be a tablet but it's a tablet with Nintendo games on it which is the deal breaker for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The world doesn't revolve around boards.ie
    This is my opinion on what I read on boards and elsewhere for that matter.
    Yes I believe that it's quite radical reaction to something that is essentially a tablet.
    FWIW, a Surface is a "essentially" a tablet too but it's still a pretty powerful piece of kit. I'd rate the form factor of the Switch considerably lower on the scale of importance when compared to things like the games set to be released on the system and the controllers used with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It might be a tablet but it's a tablet with Nintendo games on it which is the deal breaker for many people.

deal breaker?

Why would people opt away from a tablet because it has nintendo games on it? Thats a massive selling point for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

deal breaker?

Why would people opt away from a tablet because it has nintendo games on it? Thats a massive selling point for me.

I think he meant deal maker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deal breaker?

Well I meant that it having Nintendo games was the big positive!

I'm still not convinced the Switch will be a success but considering how much fun I've gotten out of the failure of a console that the WiiU compared to how poor the PS4 has been I'll be on board for the Switch. Also the full weight of Nintendo's development will be behind the switch unlike recently when it was split between 3DS and WiiU.

I kind of see it more as Nintendo abandoning the traditional console space to concentrate on a handheld but there's massive competition there in the mobile space where quality of games doesn't seem to be a factor, more so how evil and addictive the Skinner Box loop is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

gizmo wrote: »
    FWIW, a Surface is a "essentially" a tablet too but it's still a pretty powerful piece of kit. I'd rate the form factor of the Switch considerably lower on the scale of importance when compared to things like the games set to be released on the system and the controllers used with it.

I think the reveal video had more things I didn't like about the Switch than I liked. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to be bringing it to someone's house and playing a two player game looking at a 8" screen using half a controller that would be too small even for a munchkin. The tablet with the controllers attached on either side looked too bulky for me to ever use playing out and about. The headphone jack being on the top of the screen looked like it could be really irritating for mobile play as well. The feeling I get from it is a great idea with a hell of lot of real world compromises having to be made that will end up diminishing the gaming experience. I could be proven totally wrong but at the moment I'd have no interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nintendo Swith is the next iteration of Nvidia Shield.

Not sure if that's unpopular, it's simply true :)

I like that MS are considered the underdog in this generation. They are trying harder to be noticed, as a result. The end user is getting a better console from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

I think the reveal video had more things I didn't like about the Switch than I liked. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to be bringing it to someone's house and playing a two player game looking at a 8" screen using half a controller that would be too small even for a munchkin. The tablet with the controllers attached on either side looked too bulky for me to ever use playing out and about. The headphone jack being on the top of the screen looked like it could be really irritating for mobile play as well. The feeling I get from it is a great idea with a hell of lot of real world compromises having to be made that will end up diminishing the gaming experience. I could be proven totally wrong but at the moment I'd have no interest in it.
    Totally understandable based on the trailer they released. Personally I don't think mine will ever leave the dock so the only doubt I'm really left with is the controller. If that ends up being more comfortable than it looks and we get a similar catalog, even first party, to the one we've had on the WiiU then I'd be happy.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I like that MS are considered the underdog in this generation. They are trying harder to be noticed, as a result. The end user is getting a better console from it!

I prefer how Sony are getting extremely cocky. It usually means hilarity and drama when the next console gen rolls around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I prefer how Sony are getting extremely cocky. It usually means hilarity and drama when the next console gen rolls around :)

Maybe I'm missing something but they've hardly been failing from Ps1 to Ps4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

gimli2112 wrote: »

PS2 was a roaring success, PS3 was ambitious and launched at what, $700? PS3 didn't run the wheels off the 360 like the PS2 did the Xbox, and the PS4 ended up being a lot more modest.

I think Retr0 is anticipating the PS5 being ambitious and expensive, like the PS3.

That or I'm totally reading it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The world doesn't revolve around boards.ie
    This is my opinion on what I read on boards and elsewhere for that matter.
    Yes I believe that it's quite radical reaction to something that is essentially a tablet.

Um....I never said anything about boards. Elsewhere? fair play, I somehow managed to read opinions in other places as well.

That's fair enough, my opinion is that the general view of it was positive but waiting to see more.

gimli2112 wrote: »

The PS3 launch was a complete and utter disaster for Sony. Even better, it was a comic disaster. From the unveiling of the price, awful performance of early third party games to meme worthy stuff like being told you if can't afford a PS3 get a second job and Giant enemy crabs. It was Hubris at it's finest. That's not to say Sony didn't recover (PS3 went from a complete joke in my eyes to a better console than 360 in my eyes) but those opening 2-3 years were fantastic. Same thing happened to Microsoft with the One and to a lesser extent Sega with the Saturn launch. Anytime a platform holder gets a bit too cock sure hubris results in the most delightful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Probably off topic at this stage, so apologies, but how do you see Sony been cocky at the moment? I think they are doing a grand job to be honest at the moment, they have improved PSN quite a bit (still not the best, but a big improvement over the last year I feel), just introduced VR and have a decent range of new IP's coming out in the next year or so. They could do more frequent software updates though.

I don't really see any platform holder been cocky, they all seem to just be going about their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Benzino wrote: »
    Probably off topic at this stage, so apologies, but how do you see Sony been cocky at the moment? I think they are doing a grand job to be honest at the moment, they have improved PSN quite a bit (still not the best, but a big improvement over the last year I feel), just introduced VR and have a decent range of new IP's coming out in the next year or so. They could do more frequent software updates though.

I don't really see any platform holder been cocky, they all seem to just be going about their business.

If anything, MS are being cocky by thinking that they can coast by on yet more Gears/Halo/Forza despite only really having a potentially ridiculously expensive new console revision on the horizon to play these played out mid-to-late 00's franchises on.

I'll be genuinely surprised if they bother to release something to go up against the PS5.

There's an air of arrogance about them. It's like they can do no wrong. They introduce paid online which would have had people howling a few years back but there's hardly an uproar since people were too busy aiming their venom at MS at the time. Sony at the moment have such a stranglehold on the market at the moment that they don't even have to try anymore, and they kind of aren't. The PS4 is really lacking in exclusives and really doesn't differentiate itself much from the Xbox or a gaming PC.

Microsoft and Nintendo messed up so badly all Sony had to do was sit back and release an unremarkable console with an unremarkable library and were given carte blanche to introduce anti consumer stuff like paid online because 'hey we're not as bad as Microsoft!'.

This isn't a criticism of sony, it makes perfect business sense. If you are top of the pile with so little effort why try harder? Microsoft backtracked it's policies and even offer an excellent backwards compatibility program but their name is now dirt. Nintendo completely misread the market with the WiiU and confused people with it's poor marketing. Why compete when your competition is busy digging its own grave :)

It's that kind of arrogance that we saw going from the PS2 to the PS3. Sony released an overpriced machine that was too complicated and way behind the curve compared to a cheaper competitor. Sony expected the console to sell based on the PlayStation and Sony brand and went from near total dominance of the console market to sharing it with a very strong competitor.

Then of course Microsoft pulled a Sony :D

lawlolawl wrote: »
    If anything, MS are being cocky by thinking that they can coast by on yet more Gears/Halo/Forza despite only really having a potentially ridiculously expensive new console revision on the horizon to play these played out mid-to-late 00's franchises on.

I'll be genuinely surprised if they bother to release something to go up against the PS5.

Microsoft are far from being cocky. They're doing serious damage control. If the One had been successful you wouldn't be seeing their backwards compatibility program (something Sony could offer but again, why bother).

I definitely agree MS need something different in their exclusives. Sony traditionally used their first parties to fill in niche gaps in their libraries but that's gone by the wayside now with a lot of Sony's output being standard triple A affairs that are leaning on tired franchises and genres (more zombies). Sony japan studios are the only studio really doing different things but their output is really slowed down as development is taking much longer.

MS committing to bringing all their games to PC is excellent... because it means I've no reason to buy a One but kind of points to your last point, if MS are going to continue supporting consoles. The games division has always been on the chopping board at MS so they are kind of trying to justify their existence to the shareholders. Xbox will probably end up becoming a service... but then that's really were Sony are aiming for as well. Total console sales have plummeted compared to last gen, tablets and phones are eating into the market in a big way and Sony's dominance of the market is disguising that.

Scorpio kind of reeks of the N64 to me. 'Don't buy a playstation, wait for something more powerful'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If the One had been successful you wouldn't be seeing their backwards compatibility program (something Sony could offer but again, why bother).

Sony cant offer BC. You simply can't visualise the cell processor on the PS4 so other than adding the cell chip to the mobo, we wont be seeing PS3 backwards compatibility on the PS4, ever.
    If only we had PS Now available in Ireland, I could finally put to rest my 9 year old PS3, but my preferred option would be a remaster of Demon's Souls :)

I'm pretty sure Sony could get it working. Their PS1 and 2 emulator was incredible, putting fan efforts to shame. It's definitely not easy but then getting 360 code working on a x86000 machine was a crazy achievement for Microsoft. I'm surprised MS are offering it at all. But then I can see why Sony aren't offering it. It's a mammoth undertaking that has no way to make them any profit in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 monsterhunter

Unpopular?... The Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition is great value! (Rather than waiting for MWR standalone, I purchased day 1 and have been enjoying the remaster and Infinite Warfare MP too! IW's SP is actually very good. MWR SP is a masterpiece. Definitely have got my money's worth so far)...

Also - Persona 4 Golden is one of the most boring JRPGs I've ever played!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Microsoft and Nintendo messed up so badly all Sony had to do was sit back and release an unremarkable console with an unremarkable library and were given carte blanche to introduce anti consumer stuff like paid online because 'hey we're not as bad as Microsoft!'.

Sony's launch lineup would not have been different had Microsoft and/or Nintendo not messed up. You make it seem like they sat back in terms of pushing their library as result of their competitors, but it doesn't work like that. Sony are a big corporation who would have planned their games well in advance, and not in reaction to Microsoft or Nintendo.

And why would a bland launch line-up indicate they are arrogant, but the same does not apply to Microsoft or Nintendo who also had a bland launch line-up (In truth, I don't recall the Wii-U line-up so maybe I'm been harsh on Nintendo)?

The launch line-ups were poor, but with increasing resolutions, polygon counts etc comes more technical challenges and longer development times, and so releasing a console with a stellar line-up is much more trickier these days. Sony also continued to support the PS3 up till the release of the PS4, with the best game on the PS3 (IMO) released just months before the PS4. On the other hand, Microsoft seemed to just abandon the Xbox 360 at the end, so in truth they probably should have had a better launch line-up. And just look at Nintendo, pushing back Zelda on the Wii-U till it's out on the Switch.

Furthermore, in my opinion, Sony have the best variety in exclusives than any other console platform. Games ranging from Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Firewatch, Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot, Dreams, The Witness, Boundless, Persona 5, What Remains of Edith Finch, Paragon, Death Stranding (whatever the hell that is gonna be, I'm sure it won't be your average game though ;) ) and the list goes on. Of course, it's quality over quantity and it remains to be seen how good some of the above will be, but at least they are investing in providing their consumer base with a wide variety of games.

This was longer than expected ha and probably comes off as very fan-boyish ha, but I don't agree that the above suggests Sony are arrogant. They didn't take any risks with the PS4 hardware, true, but in terms of software their exclusives are just as varied as ever, it's just taking longer for them to be released, but that's applicable to all platforms really these days.

Anyway, I hope no platform holder is arrogant, because a failure for any of them could see them pulling out of the console market, which would be awful for us consumers.

P.S. Sorry for going off-topic, I'll leave it there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Pokemon need to release a game on a bigger platform than a hand held or people will quickly grow tired of the same formula

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Define quickly? Because people don't seem to have tired of it over the last two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Define quickly? Because people don't seem to have tired of it over the last two decades.

Through 9 games of the same formula, I'm still excited for No. 10.

Boundless charm, fun and enough new stuff to balance a competitive competition are more than enough to keep pokemon afloat imo

• Pokemon has a winning formula, that has barely changed in the 2 decades or more that they've had video games, with each one seeing an increase in sales.

Can't imagine their ever changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Aside from it's story, the Last of Us is an average/good (nothing amazing) game.
    Also...Joel is NOT the hero/good guy (Though that should be obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Aside from it's story, the Last of Us is an average/good (nothing amazing) game.
    Also...Joel is NOT the hero/good guy (Though that should be obvious)

that's where you went wrong!

I don't even think the story is all that special. Zombies have been done to death and the conclusion was hardly original. It was the writing that lifted it (although that scene at the end which I won't spoil was a total disaster in terms of writing and game design).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

kq5ahw.jpg

• Advertisement

• What lifted TLOU from being a substandard game was the voice acting and the relationship between the characters. Otherwise it was a standard third person shooter with enough conveniently placed barricades to hide behind to make Gears of War blush.

Advertisement