Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DayZ Standalone

Options
  • 17-12-2013 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

As most of you already know, the alpha for the long awaited standalone has finally been released. It's available on Steam, and directly from Bohemia Interactive's site, both priced €23.99.

There's also a "Supporter's Edition" available on BI's site at a whopping €59.99 for which you will also receive a digital map of Chernarus, a Steam gift code for the complete Arma II collection, and access to an exclusive supporter's lounge. Count me out on that one methinks.

Anyway, I think the standalone needs it's own thread as I'm sure the original mod will still be played by many. So rather than deal with the confusion of the one thread discussing two sets of servers, two differing lists of mods, different feature sets etc etc, we can discuss the standalone here.

Please remember, the standalone is in alpha. As Bohemia Interactive say themselves;
    “DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process. Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.”

Here's the reather graphic trailer (pulled from Steam I believe);

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Every server is night time.

I spent like an hour walking around the place with a flash light... I couldn't find anything apart from a backpack and some rotten fruit, then I fell unconscious due to lack of food/water.

Bleh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Holsten wrote: »
    Every server is night time.

I spent like an hour walking around the place with a flash light... I couldn't find anything apart from a backpack and some rotten fruit, then I fell unconscious due to lack of food/water.

Bleh!

Welcome to DayZ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

SOoooo buggy but had fun.

Needs a better system to figure out what's wrong with you "I feel dizzy" for a number of issues doesn't help much sadly =(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

think i'll pass on this til' it comes out of EA, that or i get really bored at Christmas, whichever comes first

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

R0ot wrote: »
    SOoooo buggy but had fun.

Needs a better system to figure out what's wrong with you "I feel dizzy" for a number of issues doesn't help much sadly =(

All that will be reworked later and you can tell how your player is feeling from sounds you make and your character model on your menu screen, no more messages down in the corner. I suspect that's a while away yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

headless chicken moment!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lack of Zombies is irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I got ARMA II a few days ago (to go with my shiny new laptop) and I'm greatly enjoying it. A definite improvement on the first ARMA and a worthy successor to the superb Operation Flashpoint. Haven't gotten around to playing the DayZ mod yet - why all the hype around it? Aren't zombies totally cliched by now? My eyes glaze over (rather like a zombie) when I see yet another "zombie-mode" added to a game. Or is there something special about which makes it worth playing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

First page!

Woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

stannis wrote: »
    Haven't gotten around to playing the DayZ mod yet - why all the hype around it? Aren't zombies totally cliched by now? My eyes glaze over (rather like a zombie) when I see yet another "zombie-mode" added to a game. Or is there something special about which makes it worth playing

You sound like a man informed on PC FPS games...yet you're asking about DayZ ?...I'm actually shocked.
    I think more sales for ARMA were probably due to DAYZ than the game itself, definitely the past year anyways.

Also, the thread you see just above this...with 1,600 posts...that's thread number 2...the previous hit nearly 10k , so another was made. Should tell you how popular it is on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I got ARMA II a few days ago (to go with my shiny new laptop) and I'm greatly enjoying it. A definite improvement on the first ARMA and a worthy successor to the superb Operation Flashpoint. Haven't gotten around to playing the DayZ mod yet - why all the hype around it? Aren't zombies totally cliched by now? My eyes glaze over (rather like a zombie) when I see yet another "zombie-mode" added to a game. Or is there something special about which makes it worth playing?
    This isn't like any other zombie game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

My best advice for you if you're getting the dizzy/hungry/thirsty text.. Eat and drink loads and don't sprint everywhere and take rests.. I haven't had a text pop up in well over an hour.

I have a lovely mosin now :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Well for me it's brought back that "Old School DayZ feel" Quick video of when we first met up last night & the panic that ensued:

Reddit: http://redd.it/1t2qfb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

It's not about zombies, it's about survival.. from other players

There are so many different mods, some of them are build a base type things, others are pure "shoot on sight". If you can play with some mates, it's great fun.

PUNCH ZOMBIES TO WIN!

or not. They get knocked down, but take a hell of a beating to actually kill.

found good loot, but its classic dayz so most of it is lacking in ammo :D

can we burn the books we randomly find?

Also other use for rotten fruit other then feeling like crap when forced to eat them

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Hmm, think my family would be offended if I bring the big computer home for christmas?

I do look forward to playing this. Crawling around in the dark with broken legs FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looks very promising. Will probably wait till I upgrade my computer, it was struggling to run the DayZ mod at the lower settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Looks very promising. Will probably wait till I upgrade my computer, it was struggling to run the DayZ mod at the lower settings.

Wasn't a lot of that due to the amount of work being done on the client, rather than any graphic capabilities or whatever?

As I understand it, all the heavy lifting is being done on the server in the new version. I must check out what performance people are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wasn't a lot of that due to the amount of work being done on the client, rather than any graphic capabilities or whatever?

As I understand it, all the heavy lifting is being done on the server in the new version. I must check out what performance people are getting.
    Very intriguing, I can see myself as being potentially very anti social this Christmas.

The performance is much better than the mod. Was playing for about 4 hours last night & was always around 50 frames while recording. As has been said already, a load of the processing/information has been taken from the client & is now run on the server. It's basically an MMO model

• Advertisement

anyone else find that they lose connection after a while and have to start all over or is it just me?

had a good run just there and lost connection to host losing a lot of good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

From what I played last night I was pleasantly surprised. A bit annoyed at the interface change initially but it grew on me.

Got to Berizino and was heading to the NE Airfield but overshot it in the dark only to find a whole new road network up there, wide open roads with junctions etc. I remember seeing a proposed new standalone map with northern areas developed but cant find it now, any ideas?

there's a massive new urban area just north of the southern airfield, loads of tower blocks that are really easy to defend.

but feck all in them.

easier to loot the nearby garages then the blocks themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I think ill wait for release with this one. Im a big fan of alpha's and giving feedback but im already apart of a ton of alpha's and beta's

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Any new really cool areas apart from the Cherno city addition? What about the swamps around Cap Golova I think it is.

Can't wait to play!

Spent quite a while in Zelenogorsk last night, it's completely different. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Are the Irish players hitting up a particular server? Be a fun time over Christmas with running battles if we stuck to a particular server?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nearly every building now is explorable now which is great.

is there a specific way to get the game to save your progress or is that not implemented yet?

I've had a few good runs but I'm forced to start over everytime I got to quit.

in other news

WHERE THE F*CK IS THE CAN OPENER!!!

I found a defibrillator before I have found one of those :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dead_Shot

when you fall unconscious will you wake up later or do i have to respawn? also needs more info on why u feel faint lol i drank and ate n then i fell unconscious lol

Advertisement