Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spacehopper!

I lived in Germany for 18 months. Would I need a police check for that?

Or would an Irish police report do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SteveOwen

Hi there

is there anyone who can tell me if ill have any problems applying for the iec canada next year? i was rejected this year.. (i didnt really know what i was doing filling out the application)... i have my kompass account and wtn,,,, do i need to set up a brand new application?

thanks guys,

SteveOwen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does your 2 yr visa start from the day you enter Canada or the day the visa is approved?

I've found this answer...."Your work permit will be provided at the port of entry. It will show:

A validity period of up to 24 months from the date you enter Canada, under the Working Holiday category."

If you're approved for 2014 do you need to enter Canada this year or can you hold out for early 2015?

I'm looking into going late next year but I'll probably have to apply Dec / Jan?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

PopTarts wrote: »
    Your work permit will be provided at the port of entry. It will show:

A validity period of up to 24 months from the date you enter Canada, under the Working Holiday category."[/I]

You answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

danotroy wrote: »
    You answered your own question.

See the ... I've found this answer...I edited after looking and answered it if someone else might be looking rather than deleting the post.

Wondering still about the other question . if approved in 2014 if I have to enter Canada that year or would 2015 be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

pretty sure you have a year to enter from the date of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

At the minute I'm planning on Canada myself next year.

Out of curiosity, what work do you folks plan on getting into when you's get over there?

EI-DOR wrote: »
    At the minute I'm planning on Canada myself next year.

Out of curiosity, what work do you folks plan on getting into when you's get over there?

to get stared off maybe on a ski resort just to keep meself ticking over..... then maybe try da oilsands as a labourer or something like that....! have to get da visa first tho

then maybe try da oilsands as a labourer or something like that....! have to get da visa first tho
    That is my plan. I have a friend over in Alberta working at the Oil and Gas currently. If you don't mind hard work then that is where the money is!

That is my plan. I have a friend over in Alberta working at the Oil and Gas currently. If you don't mind hard work then that is where the money is!

ur right there!!!! if ur young and fit and have a licence you should find something in the oil sands (well hopefully). check this website and see what you think http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-9826.html gives a little bit hope of getting a job out there no matter who you are or what ya do..... please god i get the visa next year???

• Advertisement

Oh nice one Steve.. A bit of reading to keep me entertained over the weekend.

Did you apply last year and not get the Visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

I lived in Germany for 18 months. Would I need a police check for that?

Or would an Irish police report do?

You need a German one as well as the Irish one, follow the link for Germany here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/

or here for info in German https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Themen/Buergerdienste/BZR/Ausland/Antrag/FAQ_node.html

There's an application form here https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/SharedDocs/Publikationen/BZR/antrag_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=8
    fill it in and send it off (pay the fee by bank transfer, send the receipt or screenshot of the internet banking as proof)
    You get it in about 6 weeks, then you'll need to get it translated to English, should cost another 30 euros or so

Oh nice one Steve.. A bit of reading to keep me entertained over the weekend.

Did you apply last year and not get the Visa?

its a bit of a read but a great 1..... ya made a balls of the whole thing.... went away for a couple of days the week they were out ( the 1 time i do go away!!!!:( ) came back on Thursday to check if they were out and 4000 visas gone in two days and rushing to get things together so I was up against it in trying to get 1 ....to be fair i didn't fully understand the process i did not ask for help because i was keeping it to myself...... im just hoping that it will not have a big effect on trying to get 1 next year...... this is why im fishing for some guidelines from people on this who might have some experience with the visa process...... when in 2014 are u thinking of going???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭oceanstreet

Got a question for the Canada experts on here and would be grateful for some help

I was going to apply for the IEC last year (2013) but decided to go to Asia instead. However I did get garda certs from here and Australia where I lived for a year in 2008. With Asia out of the way it's time to hit Canada next year. I realise I'll need to get a new garda reference for here but will the Australia one still be good...I haven't lived there since. I'd prefer not to pay for another one if it could be helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Against wrote: »
    You need a German one as well as the Irish one, follow the link for Germany here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/

or here for info in German https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Themen/Buergerdienste/BZR/Ausland/Antrag/FAQ_node.html

There's an application form here https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/SharedDocs/Publikationen/BZR/antrag_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=8
    fill it in and send it off (pay the fee by bank transfer, send the receipt or screenshot of the internet banking as proof)
    You get it in about 6 weeks, then you'll need to get it translated to English, should cost another 30 euros or so

Is that definitely for IEC? I've seen that under the citizenship requirements but it isn't listed under IEC, if I read it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A quick one.

I am on a 2 year visa at the minute, I got here in July.

Are you allowed to apply for another 2 year visa when this one is up?

Are you allowed to apply for another 2 year visa when this one is up?
    Negative!
    7. I am currently in Canada with a work permit issued under the IEC initiative. My employer would like me to continue working after the permit expires. Is this possible? What should I do?

You may not work in Canada without holding a valid work permit. A work permit issued under the IEC initiative cannot be renewed or extended, so one possibility remains:

If you wish to extend your stay in Canada under Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program, you must apply for a work permit at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current work permit under IEC.

Go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada or call 1-888-242-2100 to check the requirements for changing the conditions of your permit or extending your stay in Canada. You should make your inquiries after entry to Canada, while your current work permit is still valid.
    If you want to work in Canada, you must understand the following important information:

Your employer may need to get a labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). An LMO confirms that there is no Canadian or permanent resident available, and the employer can fill the job with a foreign worker.

Some jobs do not require an LMO. Find out if you need one.

You must meet the general requirements for entering the country, for staying in Canada and for getting a work permit. This means you may also need a temporary resident visa. Learn more about temporary resident visas.

A work permit is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live in Canada permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category, such as a skilled worker. Learn more about immigrating to Canada.

Live–in caregivers who meet certain requirements can apply to stay in Canada permanently.

Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you.

Is that definitely for IEC? I've seen that under the citizenship requirements but it isn't listed under IEC, if I read it correctly.

I'm pretty sure it's also for IEC, it used to be on the FAQ when IEC processed the whole application but it seems to have been removed now that CIC process the immigration part of the application.

You might find out otherwise somewhere, if you do more power to you, I think the "police check for every country you've lived in for 6 months since you turned 18" is a bit ridiculous, frankly.

I'm pretty sure it's also for IEC, it used to be on the FAQ when IEC processed the whole application but it seems to have been removed now that CIC process the immigration part of the application.

You might find out otherwise somewhere, if you do more power to you, I think the "police check for every country you've lived in for 6 months since you turned 18" is a bit ridiculous, frankly.

I contacted IEC and CIC last week about it. IEC said it's managed at stage two of the visa so CIC will handle it.

Did you get this done yourself too? I contacted the Italian embassy, they said I need to get both documents through the local police station of where I lived. I hope this doesn't get too tricky or costly. I read on a British expats forum people said you have to pay for a translation too. :( yikes.

I contacted IEC and CIC last week about it. IEC said it's managed at stage two of the visa so CIC will handle it.

Did you get this done yourself too? I contacted the Italian embassy, they said I need to get both documents through the local police station of where I lived. I hope this doesn't get too tricky or costly. I read on a British expats forum people said you have to pay for a translation too. :( yikes.

Yeah, i had to get ones from a couple of EU countries. It usually involves paying a fee via bank transfer, then filling out a form and sending to some authority, with proof of payment. Generally takes 4-6 weeks to hear back. You'll need a translation if it's not in French or English, should cost around 30 euro. t's all a bit of a pain in the arse but once you decide to do it and get down to it it's not too bad.

Haven't done the italian one but yeah, looks like you've to get 2 docs:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/italy.asp
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_2.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_3.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ann2905

Couple of quick questions if anyone could help?
    1)Can you work in Quebec on the IEC?
    2)How do you go about bringing a dependant?Hes only 16months old so wont need a study visa or anything
    3)Do I need a garda cert for living in canada for 3 years?If yes can I apply now or will it be out of date by Jan then?
    4)What do you need sorted document wise and money wise by January?
    Thanks a million to anyone who can hepl with any of my questions, finding it hard to find info online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Hey guys,
    Im a little confused is the IEC visa the same as the under 35 visa that USIT where offering a few years ago. Or is it different, and if its different. In what way is it?

Yeah, i had to get ones from a couple of EU countries. It usually involves paying a fee via bank transfer, then filling out a form and sending to some authority, with proof of payment. Generally takes 4-6 weeks to hear back. You'll need a translation if it's not in French or English, should cost around 30 euro. t's all a bit of a pain in the arse but once you decide to do it and get down to it it's not too bad.

Haven't done the italian one but yeah, looks like you've to get 2 docs:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/italy.asp
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_2.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_3.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7

Thanks for that. I emailed the local procura where I lived and they asked me to call directly. I live in Ireland at the moment and today thought maybe the Irish embassy in Italy could help? I just emailed them so I'll see.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=29960

• Registered Users Posts: 2 p_fzg

Hi,

Just wondering when people are planning on applying for Garda clearance given that it needs to be 3 months in date when submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mememealways

bopper wrote: »
    I applied for my Oz police check while I was still in the country, but I think you can apply online from anywhere.

You don't need any proof of address, your passport is enough proof that you're an Irish citizen.

Will your police clearance still be ok? Does the cert just have to be 3months old in the country your living in at the moment?
    Thanks!

p_fzg wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering when people are planning on applying for Garda clearance given that it needs to be 3 months in date when submitted?

Regarding the Irish certificate, that's a good point. I guess it's about straddling the line between being as prepared as you can with your documents so you can have everything ready when it opens but not being too early so the documents are invalid.

The Irish clearance I'll wait a bit, the foreign ones I probably could get going now.

p.s. the 3 months rule...IEC told me it's only a CIC matter so only they will review the certs. I guess provisionally that means within three months up to the end of January 2014?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Regarding the Garda certificate, would I have to get a police cert from Australia having done the WHV over there in 2011/2012

astonaidan wrote: »
    Regarding the Garda certificate, would I have to get a police cert from Australia having done the WHV over there in 2011/2012

If it's six months outside your home country since 18, then yep you do. I read now and again people here who have lived in Canada have to get police certs. there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If it's six months outside your home country since 18, then yep you do. I read now and again people here who have lived in Canada have to get police certs. there too!
    Well that is extremely annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Will your police clearance still be ok? Does the cert just have to be 3months old in the country your living in at the moment?
    Thanks!

It was more than 3 months old when I applied but that was back in 2012 and I think the 3 month rule was only brought in last year.

Advertisement