Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do private schools have a place in society?

• 16-04-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

I dont think they do. Im not talking about the cost to the system, I think they promote elitisim, cronyisim and a false sense of entitlement in this society. It gives an unfair advantage to people who usually already are lucky enough to not be born into poverty. I dont get why one persons education should be more important than anothers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I absolutely think they do.

The second I hear someone went to a private school it explains why they are such a monumental dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Watch Billy Bragg on 10 o clock live from last week. Great argument against it in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭amacca

oh jesus not this again.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I went to a private school. Yes, there were complete pretentious w@nkers in my year, but on the other hand there were lovely girls, who were normal and didn't think they were a step above anyone else.

I don't think it's unfair to have private and public schooling. It's a choice that's made to send your son / daughter there.

You will get ****e and fantastic teachers in both schools and it's really up to the individual student to either study or act the maggot. Doesnt matter whether it's public or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Because they can pay for it. Things get better the more you pay. If they didn't there would be no need for money. If we got rid of private schools we would be heading towards Communism there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I dont think they do. Im not talking about the cost to the system, I think they promote elitisim, cronyisim and a false sense of entitlement in this society. It gives an unfair advantage to people who usually already are lucky enough to not be born into poverty. I dont get why one persons education should be more important than anothers.

because they pay for it. the point. you missed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One should never under any circumstance lower one's social standing by putting one's offspring into environment detrimental to their chances of an honest and proper eductaion as a result of having to mix with those unlucky to not have been born into the priviledged echelons of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

There always has and always will be the haves and the have nots in society. It is naive to think that that will ever change.

I can assure you that if you came from money you would be more than pleased with the way things work.

GarIT wrote: »
    Because they can pay for it. Things get better the more you pay. If they didn't there would be no need for money. If we got rid of private schools we would be heading towards Communism there.

Id rather communism than 'democracy' tbh. I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

The second I hear someone went to a private school it explains why they are such a monumental dickhead.
    Logical Fallacy

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Of course they have a place! Its simple economics.

If people are stupid enough to want to pay for some things, people should provide them with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

As somebody who goes to a public school, I could not be more delighted that I don't have to suffer listening to spoilt teens that feel they can stroll through life on Daddy's money.
    Let them have their private schools, and let them believe that they are getting a better education.

One should never under any circumstance lower one's social standing by putting one's offspring into environment detrimental to their chances of an honest and proper eductaion as a result of having to mix with those unlucky to not have been born into the priviledged echelons of society.
    :mad:
    stop plaigarising from the private school manual of life

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yes they do. I don't want my children's education based on the current national curriculum as I don't think it's even remotely a good or rounded education. And I don't want them learning that they should learn for the sake of exams, I want them to learn to love learning for it's own sake. I don't want them learning religion outside of it's place in history and politics. No public schools offer the education I want my children to have so I would either have to home educate or send them to a private Montessori. So we're doing the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Trenton Oldfield is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

If I had the money I would send my kids to them to enjoy the benefits of cronyism, elitism and a better education and future.

:pac:

When posting in AH i normally like my style to reside on the "example" side of things.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

GarIT wrote: »

I disagree. Quality of education should not depend on how lucky a child is to be born into priveleged circumstances. The child who benifits from private education does not do so because of any merit on his or her part and thus I dont think its a communist principle to say that reward should be based on merit and not luck.

IM0 wrote: »
    because they pay for it. the point. you missed it.

I take it if I earn more money than you I should also recieve better medication and or treatment in hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Eathrin wrote: »
    As somebody who goes to a public school, I could not be more delighted that I don't have to suffer listening to spoilt teens that feel they can stroll through life on Daddy's money.
    Let them have their private schools, and let them believe that they are getting a better education.

Bitter much?

Have you ever actually visited a private school? Take the chip of your shoulder, t'wil only slow you down in life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I went to a private school. My parents were definitely working class. The fees were minimal so it wasn't an issue. Plus there was an entrance exam to get in. So you couldn't just get in based on how much your parents were willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I take it if I earn more money than you I should also recieve better medication and or treatment in hospital?

maybe a comfier bed.

There always has and always will be the haves and the have nots in society. It is naive to think that that will ever change.

I can assure you that if you came from money you would be more than pleased with the way things work.

I probraly would however Im in the lucky position to have a career where I can make a lot of money. When I have kids I dont think it should be right to send them to private shcool. I got my degree after public shcool and so can anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

They have been around for many years and I cannot see them going anytime soon.

You can be educated in a E20,000 a year boarding school or a state funded school that wouldn't have the best reputation and come out with the same results.

Private schools are good for the old boys club mentality.

iguana wrote: »
    Yes they do. I don't want my children's education based on the current national curriculum as I don't think it's even remotely a good or rounded education. And I don't want them learning that they should learn for the sake of exams, I want them to learn to love learning for it's own sake. I don't want them learning religion outside of it's place in history and politics. No public schools offer the education I want my children to have so I would either have to home educate or send them to a private Montessori. So we're doing the latter.

If I earn more money than you at some point in my life should my extra money entitle my kids (who didnt nothing to earn special treatment) to better healthcare than yours?

I probraly would however Im in the lucky position to have a career where I can make a lot of money. When I have kids I dont think it should be right to send them to private shcool. I got my degree after public shcool and so can anyone else.

Yeah, but if you had the cash to send your kids to a private school, make connections for life, have better teachers and facilities you'd be an idiot not to I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Awwwww. Jealous are we? Need a hug?

I went to both public and private schools and there is an equal amount of dickheads in both.

Grayson wrote: »
    I went to a private school. My parents were definitely working class. The fees were minimal so it wasn't an issue. Plus there was an entrance exam to get in. So you couldn't just get in based on how much your parents were willing to pay.

True there are a lot of private shcools like that but there are many that are elitest and look at a lot more than entrance exams and fees.

Yeah, but if you had the cash to send your kids to a private school, make connections for life, have better teachers and facilities you'd be an idiot not to I have to say.

Ive done that without privelige and as a result developed life skills that wouldnt have been afforded to me if I got everything handed to me on a plate.

• Advertisement

Awwwww. Jealous are we? Need a hug?

I went to both public and private schools and there is an equal amount of dickheads in both.

Nope, not at all. I'm am pulling the piss.

I think your public/private education failed teaching you to spot hyperbole.

Advertisement