Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

I like to put in some chopped coriander in or some mint or flat leaf parsley depending on what other flavours I add. Lemon or lime juice are good as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

This is a lovely soup:

Tuscan Bean Soup

Ingredients:

50g Chorizo, sliced into little cubes
    1 large onion, finely chopped,
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    3 carrots, finely chopped
    2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
    2 medium potatoes, diced into little cubes
    2 tins of Tomatoes
    2 Tbsps Tomato Puree
    1 tin Cannelini Beans
    1 tin Mixed Beans
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 sprig of Thyme
    1 sprig of Parsley

Method:

Heat up a saucepan and spray with Low Cal Spray Oil. Fry the onion, chorizo and garlic until soft. Add the carrots, potatoes and celery and cook for a few mins. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomatoe puree and the herbs. Fill the two cans with water and add that to the pan as well. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 mins, until the veg is soft. Drain the beans and rinse with water. Add to the saucepan and cook for about five mins. Add some more water if it is too thick.

I'd normally get about 5-6 bowls out of this. The points will depend on the weight of your spuds and what beans you use. I normally use around 200g of spuds and the Tesco branded beans and it usually works out around 6pp for a bowl. It might sound like a lot for a soup but it is really filling! biggrin.gif And very healthy too! It's actually more like an Italian stew. I make it a lot for dinner - mostly on days when I have to see the orthodontist tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Great recipe , thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Does anyone know what the best piece of home gym equipment is for burning fat/weight loss? I have dropped 1st 3.2lb since Jan to 9st 8.4lb buy I am now struggling to loose anything. I never snack and rarely use all my point midweek so I think I need to up the exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭kty

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    I've brought a bit of couscous with me for lunch today to try and bulk it up a bit. I put a few raisins in it and a bit of curry powder to liven it up a bit, but it's still missing something! Has anyone any suggestions of what herbs or spices to put in the couscous?

Maybe you could put some very finely dices peppers and red onion, sundried tomato's and some basil??? Also if you cook the couscous in some stock, will have bit more flavour, can be a bit bland!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭donnamc5

Does anyone know what the best piece of home gym equipment is for burning fat/weight loss? I have dropped 1st 3.2lb since Jan to 9st 8.4lb buy I am now struggling to loose anything. I never snack and rarely use all my point midweek so I think I need to up the exercise.

Heya,

I just read this - http://www.livestrong.com/article/150709-best-home-exercise-equipment-for-weight-loss/ which might be of use. Basically if you can afford it then I'd imagine a treadmill or a cross trainer. I'm going to rent a cross trainer next month when my bikram yoga course runs out. I'm going to try a different thing every month so that I don't get too bored. The company I found that rents lots of exercise equipment is www.toneathome.ie Was thinking I might do cross trainer for a month and then rowing machine. Plus, I can fire it in the living room and do an hour while I'm watching the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

flamelily wrote: »
    I did indeed, makes the little cupcake muffins 3pp instead but me loves my raisins.....plan to make blueberry ones at the weekend :)

haven't seen the Irish 'Come dine with me' must take a peek and see what its like. weather looks lovely for a change so am hoping to bring the kids out for a walk this evening (plenty of exercise there chasing them around the place :D they never want to go in the same direction!!!)

am in the office today so have all my food and snacks for the day pointed and packed!!!

strawberry is my favourite in them...they stay SO moist!

I've brought a bit of couscous with me for lunch today to try and bulk it up a bit. I put a few raisins in it and a bit of curry powder to liven it up a bit, but it's still missing something! Has anyone any suggestions of what herbs or spices to put in the couscous?

yeah i wanna know this too....have a packet of ainsly harriot thai cous cous in the press.....

what are the points per DRIED cous cous....cos the packet only has the cooked nutritional information...

I dont want to cook too much of it.....cos i'll end up eating the whole large portion

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

Yes yes yes yes yes;) 2 pounds down after my holidays!!! 7 pounds til my target.. This will be the hardest 7 I think! Ah well, onwards and downwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Red Letter Day here for me, today marks 2 years since I joined ww and started my weight loss & fitness journey (have gone from 11'7 to 9'5) AND I got my application form to become a leader :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

LinK3 wrote: »
    Yes yes yes yes yes;) 2 pounds down after my holidays!!! 7 pounds til my target.. This will be the hardest 7 I think! Ah well, onwards and downwards..

Well done - you must have good on your holidays!

I am just back from my WI. I was 3lb up:(. The combination of no kitchen, my brother arriving unexpectantly for dinner & having to get a chinese, a girly weekend in Glasgow & then my husbands birthday yesterday were to blame. I don't hold out more hope for next week either - going to Body & Soul festival & a 40th birthday party this weekend, so will be away for 4 days. Will be staying with relatives (handy for babysitting at night so we can go back to the festival when the kids are asleep), so won't have much control over what I eat. The sun is shining here today & the work has started on fitting my new kitchen, so I am going to leave them to it & get out for a walk until my youngest gets out of nursery - gives me about an hour & a half.

Good luck everyone with WIs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

LinK3 wrote: »
    well done thats a great loss after your hols:) I am just back from my WI as well and am totally shocked to be down a pound because i ate everything around me in the last week and a half so happy to be down,but my leader did warn me that it could catch up on me next week :eek: and to work hard in the coming week

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

emer50 wrote: »
    2 pounds below my goal and have been given 34 instead of 29 points. Just wondering what are the rules of "maintenance" and what being a gold member means? Do I have to still weigh in every week and do I have to stay within a certain weight limit? My leader isn't giving too much info and I'm trying to plan ahead as I am going on holidays soon!!

i reached my ww goal a couple of wks ago, hoping to get my gold card tomorrow:D i still want to lose another few lbs though. my leader put me on 35 dailies now. the yellow book i got says u only need to wi 5 times a yr as far as i can remember but i will go maybe once a month to keep on track. you have to stay within 5lbs of ur goal weight or u have to start paying again.
    congratulations on getting to goal :D well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

donnamc5 wrote: »
    Heya,

I just read this - http://www.livestrong.com/article/150709-best-home-exercise-equipment-for-weight-loss/ which might be of use. Basically if you can afford it then I'd imagine a treadmill or a cross trainer. I'm going to rent a cross trainer next month when my bikram yoga course runs out. I'm going to try a different thing every month so that I don't get too bored. The company I found that rents lots of exercise equipment is www.toneathome.ie Was thinking I might do cross trainer for a month and then rowing machine. Plus, I can fire it in the living room and do an hour while I'm watching the TV.

im sorry but WTF are you thinking , have u looked outside your window today ??? great day outside , why waste the money on renting a treadmill ( which will be expensive ) when you can walk outside ???

im sorry but WTF are you thinking , have u looked outside your window today ??? great day outside , why waste the money on renting a treadmill ( which will be expensive ) when you can walk outside ???

First off I don't appreciate that tone. I answered a question and having lived in this country for a good few years now I want something at home I can rely on, I have a goal, I'm motivated and I want to be able to exercise when it's pishing it down outside and later in the evening when it gets dark, and exercising in the rain is not my thing. Please don't address me like that again, I have never done so to anyone else on here.

First off I don't appreciate that tone. I answered a question and having lived in this country for a good few years now I want something at home I can rely on, I have a goal, I'm motivated and I want to be able to exercise when it's pishing it down outside and later in the evening when it gets dark, and exercising in the rain is not my thing. Please don't address me like that again, I have never done so to anyone else on here.

I'm the same! I want something that can keep me consistanly exercising! Weather is most unpredictable thing in ireland! and like today yeah the sun is out...but its fecking windy and cold! I hate walking in the rain...wet clothes just stick to me....start chaffing...my runners soak thru and start smelling...and i just crawl along thinking how horible it is..

and well in general on a dry day like this....this might be a female thing....but QUICK THE SUN IS OUT.....PUT A LOAD OF WASHING ON AND GET IT DRY!!!!!QUICK!

Crazyfit @ home is a great company :) they'll deliver and service. you can rent...and then buy it from them if you like the machine! I don't really enjoy walking outdoors...unless its with my camera...and even then i'm crawling cos i'm taking pictures.

Plus i push my self ALOT harder on a treadmill than I would when out walking...cos no one can see me so I get the sweat dripping off me.

In other more happy and positive news, just had my WI and down 2.5 which means I got my 5% Really chuffed with that. Looks like I'm learning to make the right choices even on weekends away. Plus I had a sneaky subway last week, It was the healthy choice and only 8 pp but i still felt guilty for some reason. Man, I wish I'd felt like that when i was shoving big macs in my gob lol

Onwards and Downwards

In other more happy and positive news, just had my WI and down 2.5 which means I got my 5% Really chuffed with that. Looks like I'm learning to make the right choices even on weekends away. Plus I had a sneaky subway last week, It was the healthy choice and only 8 pp but i still felt guilty for some reason. Man, I wish I'd felt like that when i was shoving big macs in my gob lol

Onwards and Downwards

subways is pretty good points wise! (the lowfat menu is anyway)

:D thats a great loss! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭flamelily

I am a treadmill fan.....tried the cross trainer but just don't 'get' it.....probably cause I have the co-ordination of a flea and the whole leg/arm movement is just awkward!!!:o I think the treadmill is worth the money I paid for it.....not sure about renting machines but if you like to mix things up then its probably a good idea to rent so you can change things around!!!

I am a fair weather walker and can't be dealing with wind and rain (90% of the weather in Ireland!!!):mad: and like Lainy i push myself harder on treadmill cause it forces me to keep a constant speed,(am doing C25K treadmill program) when I am walking on the road I tend to slow down cause I can:o.....plus the roads around me are lethal and leaping into ditches to get out the way of several hundred tractors and crazy drivers isn't my idea of a fun way to spend an hour!!! :eek: Plus come the winter, its toooo dark to walk safely.....thats not to say I don't get out when the weather is good but that usually with my kiddies for walks in the park or the beach!!!:cool:

LOL lainy.......yip when the weather is good tis washing time :)

congrats on reaching 5% donnamac5......its a great feeling :cool: I am also starting to make better choices on the weekends, bought kiddies to Mcd's on saturday and i had the grilled chicken salad (no dressing) for 5pp as opposed to my usual order pre-WW :cool: felt good about myself for ages after

WI this eve,ekkkkk!:eek: really hoping that ill be down. Have been spinning twice this week and stuck to my points so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

sorry mammy :D

90 % of your weight loss is done in the kitchen :D

i personally don't mind running in rain , least it keeps u cool , sure when you get home you have a shower as normal so you'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

Had such a yummy lunch, although it wasn't my planned home made vegetable soup. It was penne pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, chirzo and olives (i didnt eat) in a little bit of pesto.
    Got it from a local fancy deli type place, no idea of the points but hopefully it wasnt too bad on points, it was a fairly small but so nice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lizlemon

kty wrote: »
    WI this eve,ekkkkk!:eek: really hoping that ill be down. Have been spinning twice this week and stuck to my points so fingers crossed!

Eeeek! I have mine this evening too :(
    I have a feeling this might be the first week that I'm up. I'm hoping I'm not, but I'm thinking it might be the kick up the ass I need as I've been slacking a little bit the last 2 weeks.

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    yeah i wanna know this too....have a packet of ainsly harriot thai cous cous in the press.....

what are the points per DRIED cous cous....cos the packet only has the cooked nutritional information...

I dont want to cook too much of it.....cos i'll end up eating the whole large portion

And I threw out the box of mine :o I pointed it as 1pp per 10g dried! So I made 30g dried with some water and I got LOADS for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

And I threw out the box of mine :o I pointed it as 1pp per 10g dried! So I made 30g dried with some water and I got LOADS for it! :D

Just becareful of the Ansley Harriott box as it could be made with different things.

Plain couscous is great value for points! Although as everyone agrees, season it very very well.

Dublin25 wrote: »
    Just becareful of the Ansley Harriott box as it could be made with different things.

Plain couscous is great value for points! Although as everyone agrees, season it very very well.

Well mine was a Dunnes Brand I think, or else a Lidl special. Anyway the purple book said 1pp for 10g so I went with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Well mine was a Dunnes Brand I think, or else a Lidl special. Anyway the purple book said 1pp for 10g so I went with that! :)

Oh the plain couscous is right at 1pp per 10g.
    I meant check the ones that are flavoured and ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kareno.carlow

Weigh in at 5.30 eeeek! Good luck to those weighing in this eve. And ditto on the rain thing, if there's even a hint of rain i bail on the outdoor exercising! Different strokes for different folks :)

lizlemon wrote: »
    Eeeek! I have mine this evening too :(
    I have a feeling this might be the first week that I'm up. I'm hoping I'm not, but I'm thinking it might be the kick up the ass I need as I've been slacking a little bit the last 2 weeks.

Best of luck!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Hi all, just back from holidays and I've finally worked my way through all the posts :D

First off Lainy well done on the massive loss!! You've inspired me to get back on track after seriously falling off the wagon over the last 2 weeks. I'm going to give ryvita and the muller lights a try.

I'm gonna give my WI a miss this week and focus on getting back on track foodwise and tracking. I'm still feeling tired so might focus on the food aspect first and then the exercise. My last WI I was down 4lbs and I know I've put that back on and maybe one or two more so hopefully I can get it back to pre holiday weight by next week!!

I'm also a fair weather exerciser. Can't stand the rain and I have a really bad immune system so I'd probably pick up a cold. If I had a treadmill I'd probably find it easier to drag myself up off the couch to do it and I'm always aware off people looking at me when I'm walking.

Good luck to everyone with their WI's this week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement