Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Kiith wrote: »
    This is pretty much the only thing thats stopping me from spending many more hours/days playing Morrowind again. Sitting outside the starter area, swinging your sword at a mudcrap, missing 14/15 times, was amazingly annoying. Give me Morrowind, with Oblivions graphics and combat engine, and i'd be a very happy person.

Just take away the poxy scaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

please please please implement something similar to the random encounters in Red Dead Redemption...

please...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The news of this game has really piqued my interest. Never played any of the Elder Scrolls games. Loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Just waiting for this to go on sale on Steam and I'll snap it up. Is Oblivion a good place to start with these games? Seeing as the new one announced will be a direct sequel to Elder Scrolls IV

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The news of this game has really piqued my interest. Never played any of the Elder Scrolls games. Loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Just waiting for this to go on sale on Steam and I'll snap it up. Is Oblivion a good place to start with these games? Seeing as the new one announced will be a direct sequel to Elder Scrolls IV

Get Oblivion on the pc, mod the hell out of it, and enjoy one of the best games of the last few years. It's still definitely enjoyable without the mods, but they make the game sooo much better.

Kiith wrote: »
    Get Oblivion on the pc, mod the hell out of it, and enjoy one of the best games of the last few years. It's still definitely enjoyable without the mods, but they make the game sooo much better.
    You got a link for some suggested mods? Ill bookmark it and use them when I buy it on Steam (hopefully when it goes on sale)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

You got a link for some suggested mods? Ill bookmark it and use them when I buy it on Steam (hopefully when it goes on sale)

wouldn't mind that too. I've played about 150 hours of it on the xbox but love to try it again on the PC heavily modded.

The PC Gamer list is good, but there are some other excellent mods not listed. I can post a better list later, but the Elder Scrolls forums are down at the moment. Will post it later today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope the map is hugeeeeeeeeeeeee and the weather is changable :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Wossack wrote: »
    please please please implement something similar to the random encounters in Red Dead Redemption...

please...!

Where you wander for hours and find nothing? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I hope the map is hugeeeeeeeeeeeee and the weather is changable :).

In terms of area it's a little bit smaller than Cryodiil, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Wasn't the weather changeable in IV?

TamrielMapSmall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Speaking of that map, I'd really love them to clean up the lore, because I have no clue what is going on, and thats having played a couple games. They need a prequel or something, pretty badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Morrowind was a brilliant game when it first came out. Its pretty dated now and alot of the atmopshere wouldnt be there for people wanting to learn more about the Elder Scrolls world.

The Lore is pretty vauge, but anyway, anyone played Battlespire? :D I was around 11 years old and the Scamps used to give me nightmares :rolleyes:

Kai.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

In terms of area it's a little bit smaller than Cryodiil, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Wasn't the weather changeable in IV?

TamrielMapSmall.jpg

wasnt daggerfall one of the biggest games ever created? what part of the map was that on? it would be great if they added in high rock and hammerfall into the game but i guess thats wishful thinking

Dafferfall was in Hammerfell and High Rock, top left side of the map. Looking at the wiki, there were over 15000 towns, cities or dungeons to explore and Morrowind was .01% the size of it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Daggerfall was set in High Rock and Hammerfall. Though, I assume there must have been a great flood to explain why the newer games are on smaller maps. :D

what im thinking with all these games is that the scale of each one doesnt really correspond to that map seeing as morrowind (i think) was a fair bit bigger than oblivion and it doesnt really look it on that map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

Well it took longer to travel in morrowind which was one of the pains, unless you had the speed boot things or levitation spells. Although this actually ads to a feeling of immersion in the map I think. It took 10 minutes to get to some places. Always reminded me of playing Elite on the C64. Fallout 3 was a good balance I think. Oblivion was just repetitious, all trees and the occasional cave and too quick to travel around.
    The plot mattered too much in Oblivion which made it too much of a conventional game I think. Whereas Morrowind you could play forever and not care about the main plot.

Morrowind was actually smaller then Oblivion iirc.

Here's the 'Even larger worlds' picture that shows the next level up in world sizes from the last page.
    http://i.imgur.com/xJU7Q.jpg (h-scroll rape if posted as a pic)

im downloading lotro at the moment as its gone free to play never knew it was the second biggest game ever created

• Advertisement

Yeah but the *only* way to travel around properly was the boots of blinding speed, and so you glitched your boots by using 100% immunity to blindness when you equpped them, but then you needed to roll your character with that in mind to get that little extra bit of resistance. And then you pretty much wanted to specialize in light armor after that, because wearing Plate with these dainty little boots just felt kindof odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah but the *only* way to travel around properly was the boots of blinding speed, and so you glitched your boots by using 100% immunity to blindness when you equpped them, but then you needed to roll your character with that in mind to get that little extra bit of resistance. And then you pretty much wanted to specialize in light armor after that, because wearing Plate with these dainty little boots just felt kindof odd.

I remember when I first found those boots the blind effective never kicked in, without me ever having to use any resisting magic. I was guessing it was a bug, but I could never replicate the issue . . . which sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I dont know about anyone else but i am so glad this isnt an mmorpg like it was rumoured

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I dont know about anyone else but i am so glad this isnt an mmorpg like it was rumoured

Agreed, I want the series to stay focused as a single player game. They have that niche so there's no point taking on the bohemeths of other mmorpgs.

I know there was a multiplayer mod for Oblivion (For LAN). Glitchy and was never completed but you could have another person run around with you.

2011 is shaping up nicely for games and already this is the big one for me. High expectations after Oblivion which I still love playing.

ik maybe i'm dumb but how the hell do i install oscuro's overhaul mod.

I have a few other mods installed already.

I've extracted the package into my oblivion data folder but nothing shows up in OMM. grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Game Informer has blown the lid off the long-awaited sequel to Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Quite a bit has been revealed, including Fallout-style Perks, dynamic NPC interactions, a brand new engine and the ability to wear a beard. That latter news is obviously the best thing ever.
    Check out the details below. Speaking as a fan of the brilliant, if flawed, Oblivion, this new chapter sounds absolutely stellar. So stop right there, criminal scum, take a peek at the details below, presented in a handy list format, and let us know if you're as hot for the game as I am.
    • Set 200 years after Oblivion, in a snow realm north of Cyrodil called Skyrim. Set during a civil war, possibly between two brothers who will accidentally cause the world-destroying dragon Alduin to be born.
    • Player is a Dragonborne, able to slay dragons and trained by the last living Blade.
    • Ten races to choose from, players can edit bodies as well as faces.
    • Combat more dynamic with finishing moves, unique weapon attacks and the ability to forge your own from red hot metal. Dual wielding a possibility.
    • 18 skills to choose from, as well as Fallout-esque Perks
    • NPCs more dynamic. They will move around as they talk to you, rather than have the camera zoom in for a headshot. If you drop items, they will react to them -- for instance, a helpful child might try to pick up a dropped sword and return it to you, or two men could fight over your discarded loot.
    • Quests can be randomly generated and are tailored to suit your style of play. The game judges your strengths and weaknesses by logging your data, and will give your appropriate challenges.
    • Five "massive" cities that you can do many things in, such as smithing, farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking. Killing a shopkeep could lead to someone else taking the store over now, and Dragons may possibly launch attacks on towns.
    • Five magic schools: Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration and Illusion.
    • The engine is entirely new, with dynamic snow and shadows, detailed trees, and water that flows differently depending on how the wind is blowing.
    • Confirmed enemies are zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth and saber-toothed cats.
    • Third person view has been improved.
    • Players can now sprint at the cost of stamina.
    • BEARDS CONFIRMED! YOU CAN HAVE BEARDS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Game Informer has blown the lid off the long-awaited sequel to Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Quite a bit has been revealed, including Fallout-style Perks, dynamic NPC interactions, a brand new engine and the ability to wear a beard. That latter news is obviously the best thing ever.
    Check out the details below. Speaking as a fan of the brilliant, if flawed, Oblivion, this new chapter sounds absolutely stellar. So stop right there, criminal scum, take a peek at the details below, presented in a handy list format, and let us know if you're as hot for the game as I am.

Just so long as it does not become too Fallout like Ill be happy . . . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

• Set 200 years after Oblivion, in a snow realm north of Cyrodil called Skyrim. Set during a civil war, possibly between two brothers who will accidentally cause the world-destroying dragon Alduin to be born.
    • Player is a Dragonborne, able to slay dragons and trained by the last living Blade.
    • Ten races to choose from, players can edit bodies as well as faces.
    • Combat more dynamic with finishing moves, unique weapon attacks and the ability to forge your own from red hot metal. Dual wielding a possibility.
    • NPCs more dynamic. They will move around as they talk to you, rather than have the camera zoom in for a headshot. If you drop items, they will react to them -- for instance, a helpful child might try to pick up a dropped sword and return it to you, or two men could fight over your discarded loot.
    • Quests can be randomly generated and are tailored to suit your style of play. The game judges your strengths and weaknesses by logging your data, and will give your appropriate challenges.
    • Five "massive" cities that you can do many things in, such as smithing, farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking. Killing a shopkeep could lead to someone else taking the store over now, and Dragons may possibly launch attacks on towns.
    • Five magic schools: Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration and Illusion.
    • The engine is entirely new, with dynamic snow and shadows, detailed trees, and water that flows differently depending on how the wind is blowing.
    • Confirmed enemies are zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth and saber-toothed cats.
    • Third person view has been improved.
    • Players can now sprint at the cost of stamina.
    • BEARDS CONFIRMED! YOU CAN HAVE BEARDS!

As long as it has me in awe like Morrowind did, I'll be immensely happy :) (also I want werewolves back, Solstheim was so awesome)

Will the game make lore-sense though :P

• Advertisement

wah?

Advertisement