Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So Who Has Booked Flights and is Ready to Go?!

• 17-03-2014 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Yes I did. :eek: I did it. Like many of us here, I've been planning this for months and I was hoping to go earlier, but we know it opened later than last year. So...I'm ready to go. Few loose ends, money saved. I got my POE Letter of Introduction so, having watched flights for months and chatting with family about dates...Sunday 20th April, Dublin-London-Vancouver. :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 MonopolyHat

How much did your flights cost and was it a return journey?

I'm wondering if I book a return, can I get a refund of the return leg if I don't use it? I think I read before I'm entitled to a tax refund of any unused flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

€522 including taxes and charges, return yes. I did read that you can get a tax refund on government charges and taxes if cancelling, but I haven't heard of that being possible with one part of a journey. I didn't expect that I could do that.

Are you heading to Vancouver too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I thought you just needed to demonstrate that you had enough funds to cover a return flight, rather than actually having to book one.

We're not leaving until August/September, so we're not going to be booking flights for a while :)

Ah the funds issue, yep I believe showing the funds will do just fine. It's the weirdest thing, most of the airlines and routes that I checked out charged at least €2,500 for one way. People here said click return and the price drops. Well it did! The only exception is Air Lingus which is the opposite way around. If you have your visa than you simply don't get on the return flight.

Who knows, maybe I'll see you over there later in the year Faith! I'm thinking about a Newcomers in Vancouver thread...:rolleyes:

That's funny, you inspired me to check prices and they were around the €450/€500 mark for a one-way flight in August. Mad that you got quoted so much!

I think we'll start various regional threads soon alright, might keep a bit of life in the forum after the IEC dies down for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 MonopolyHat

€522 including taxes and charges, return yes.

That sounds like good value for the West coast. Meanwhile, a one-way flight to Toronto is around €250 in April while a return is €500. I will 100% not be using the return leg so I'm going to book a one-way. The myth that returns are cheaper than one-ways isn't always true.

All the new competition on the DUB to Canada routes is fantastic. I remember paying almost €600 for a one-way to Toronto a few years ago. As Canada has become more popular with young Irish going on Working Holidays, prices have come down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Yes I did. :eek: I did it. Like many of us here, I've been planning this for months and I was hoping to go earlier, but we know it opened later than last year. So...I'm ready to go. Few loose ends, money saved. I got my POI so, having watched flights for months and chatting with family about dates...Sunday 20th April, Dublin-London-Vancouver. :rolleyes:

Can't believe you got your POE already !! Can I just ask did you sign the 5707 family form or just uploaded it as it was and used the digital signature?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ckgirl

Yes I did. :eek: I did it. Like many of us here, I've been planning this for months and I was hoping to go earlier, but we know it opened later than last year. So...I'm ready to go. Few loose ends, money saved. I got my POE Letter of Introduction so, having watched flights for months and chatting with family about dates...Sunday 20th April, Dublin-London-Vancouver. :rolleyes:

It moved fairly quick once it opened didn't it. I bet u'll be the first of the 2014 IEC's to arrive in Canada. Where u staying? R u doing hostels or did you get house share?

ckgirl wrote: »
    It moved fairly quick once it opened didn't it. I bet u'll be the first of the 2014 IEC's to arrive in Canada. Where u staying? R u doing hostels or did you get house share?

Yeah it sure did move quickly at the end, I kid you not, the only emotion I had was total shock for about 4 days. Geez I didn't think of that! :eek: Maybe I will! :D I'm browsing temp accom at the moment, I've emailed a few places I seen on Craigslist and Airbnb looks alright too. Hopefully I'll get find a good house share in the first week. I've checked them out too and there is a few nice places! Are you heading to Van too?

Yeah it sure did move quickly at the end, I kid you not, the only emotion I had was total shock for about 4 days. Geez I didn't think of that! :eek: Maybe I will! :D I'm browsing temp accom at the moment, I've emailed a few places I seen on Craigslist and Airbnb looks alright too. Hopefully I'll get find a good house share in the first week. I've checked them out too and there is a few nice places! Are you heading to Van too?

I'm probably going go to Toronto myself but was just curious to see had you anywhere to stay seeing as u had your flights booked. I think Craigslist is great. I'm hoping to house share initially too but its hard to know the right areas. I have lots of googling to do between now and summer when I go. I'm heading on my own :eek: so need all the advice and info I can get :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

ckgirl wrote: »
    I'm probably going go to Toronto myself but was just curious to see had you anywhere to stay seeing as u had your flights booked. I think Craigslist is great. I'm hoping to house share initially too but its hard to know the right areas. I have lots of googling to do between now and summer when I go. I'm heading on my own :eek: so need all the advice and info I can get :)

I would be careful of craiglist as some house postings may not be genuine as the expression goes if it sounds too good to be true.

gary27 wrote: »
    I would be careful of craiglist as some house postings may not be genuine as the expression goes if it sounds too good to be true.

Thanks Gary...will bear that in mind :)

gary27 wrote: »

I hear this a lot and it's beginning to spook me. I'm in a rush and I need to watch out for this. Plus, Craigslist seems to (so far anyway) the most popular resource that I've seen others use. Just use your wits I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I think we'll start various regional threads soon alright, might keep a bit of life in the forum after the IEC dies down for this year.

Yea I will start my own Thread when I get over there to let the Forum know how things are going!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah the funds issue, yep I believe showing the funds will do just fine. It's the weirdest thing, most of the airlines and routes that I checked out charged at least €2,500 for one way. People here said click return and the price drops. Well it did! The only exception is Air Lingus which is the opposite way around. If you have your visa than you simply don't get on the return flight.

Who knows, maybe I'll see you over there later in the year Faith! I'm thinking about a Newcomers in Vancouver thread...:rolleyes:

Jaysus, they're doing flights to Toronto for less than 400 quid at the mo, be almost as cheap to fly in there and then get an internal flight to Vancouver

question about the funds proof thing, do you need like a bank statement or would pulling up your account on your phone banking screen be ok? could always get an atm printout I suppose

Yeah I considered the seasonal Aer Lingus via Toronto option, I went against it when I realized that I've had to visit immigration there and they required you to take your bags off the plane, even if you've sent them to the final destination. That's a fair bit of hassle, I'd rather see my luggage in Van and not worry about connecting flights at the immigration queue. Who knows what options there may be by Christmas though! :)

I haven't found anyone showing the proof of funds on the phone. That's not a bad idea.

Anyone else know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'm heading to vancouver on April 29 via London. Starting to Brick it a bit! Got my Canadian passport sorted finally but have nothin organised on job and accom fronts yet. Hoping to sort out short term accom this week for when I arrive

I'm heading to vancouver on April 29 via London. Starting to Brick it a bit! Got my Canadian passport sorted finally but have nothin organised on job and accom fronts yet. Hoping to sort out short term accom this week for when I arrive

I checked out a few flights via London (departing in a few days and some a few weeks away) and they had a load factor of less than one fifth I'd say. That's going to be a VERY cosy flight. 9 and a half hours with less than one fifth of the maximum seats filled. It will be easy get service when needed. Plus, little competition for bathroom facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

krudler wrote: »
    Jaysus, they're doing flights to Toronto for less than 400 quid at the mo, be almost as cheap to fly in there and then get an internal flight to Vancouver

No such thing as cheap flights within Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pyrosever

I'm booked for May 3rd, one-way direct to Toronto for a little under €300. :) I don't have accommodation or work arranged yet, I'll probably get around to that after I arrive, as long as I don't get distracted building snowmen, or eaten by a bear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

Hey fellow IEC regulars! :) I booked mine yesterday, 12th May return to Toronto and home for Xmas! Do you guys have insurance all sorted? I thought I had saved a link to one of the newer threads about the cheapest quote round 250/300 but can't for the life of me find it! Does anyone know the particular thread or the company that it would be? Cheers folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ciaran12

backpackertravelinsurance.ie do it for about 300 euro for their basic cover. An extra fifty euro gets you snow sports (which I assume you'd want for Canada).

Things are a little tight for me so I'm probably going to get the basic cover and upgrade later on. Rang them today and they said I could upgrade at any time and just pay the difference plus a 3.50 administration fee

It's in the FAQ also. Whatever insurance you go with, check the small print about how many trips back to Ireland, and of what duration, they allow.

How are you guys exchanging your money actually?

I know currencyfair is great for moving money from an Irish account to a Canadian one, but presumably you need an address over there to set up a bank account, so I'll have to have anything from $1000 to $1500 for first month's rent and deposit, not to mention hostel costs etc.

That's a decent sum of money. Should I be looking to change it in a bank here before going? Would be pretty paranoid walking round with that...

Who's excited IECers?! :D:);)

They are some great prices for Toronto. If any of you are taking Aer Lingus, I see that they have WiFi on board...lucky things. I chose BA, good time of day for flights, very comfy seats and food but no WiFi :( I can't believe that.

Insurance, yep I went with Go4Less. The price difference between them came down in the end and Go4Less (via Blue Insurnace) answered all of my questions quickly, politely and no BS so I was happy to give them my money. Same as you guys I went for the basic and may upgrade come Christmas. They allow a few trips home, I wrote it down somewhere but it was comfy.

Money money, I chatted with a few helpful peeps here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057171248

The bottom line that I found was: Changing money via a Canadian bank had the worst rates, changing via my local bank had small commission but a terrible rate (I collected 1K today for start up money) and Currency Fair has high commission but a brilliant rate.

The rate is flying up again...Currency Fair rates will improve daily with that.
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=EURCAD=X&t=3m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

8 days now. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 TMcG1990

ciaran12 wrote: »
    backpackertravelinsurance.ie do it for about 300 euro for their basic cover. An extra fifty euro gets you snow sports (which I assume you'd want for Canada).

Things are a little tight for me so I'm probably going to get the basic cover and upgrade later on. Rang them today and they said I could upgrade at any time and just pay the difference plus a 3.50 administration fee

Cheers for that Ciaran, Faith and NewsMeQuick :) Gonna go basic myself and possibly update it later as the wallet is quite tight at the mo! Ah it's all feeling so real now!

Forgot to mention that I've booked flights for the 22nd! So if anyone's staying in Wicked hostel Calgary at the end of this month I may be seeing ye there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pyrosever

On the point of insurance, it's worth noting that with backpackertravelinsurance.ie, you can only return home one time, for up to 14 days without invalidating your cover. Even if you don't plan to return, things happen, so it's worth baring in mind. Go4less allow 4 trips home, of up to 14 days per trip.

Insurance, yep I went with Go4Less. The price difference between them came down in the end and Go4Less (via Blue Insurnace) answered all of my questions quickly, politely and no BS so I was happy to give them my money. Same as you guys I went for the basic and may upgrade come Christmas. They allow a few trips home, I wrote it down somewhere but it was comfy.
    pyrosever wrote: »
    On the point of insurance, it's worth noting that with backpackertravelinsurance.ie, you can only return home one time, for up to 14 days without invalidating your cover. Even if you don't plan to return, things happen, so it's worth baring in mind. Go4less allow 4 trips home, of up to 14 days per trip.

Thanks for that guys, I completely forgot to check the amount of trips home allowed (should have re-read the FAQ!). Luckily I hadn't purchased yet so I'll probably switch to Go4Less then (once I work up the motivation to read through this policy agreement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 BernardMc

Re: transferring money home, I came across this site which does great cheap transfers in Europe.
    They basically give you the live market FX rate and are completely transparent.

They don't support international currencies right now but it's probably just a matter of time: https://transferwise.com/

Advertisement