Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Scan Experiences

• 07-04-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

We're going for a second gender scan in three weeks. Not because we doubt the original, but rather because we can't afford a full 3D scan and really want to see her again!
    However, I've seen a lot of posts from people talking about girls magically becoming boys and I was wondering what people's experiences on this are. I have a potty shot picture at 20 weeks in 3D and to me it is very girly, but my partner is actually in a bit of a tizzy that he will get told boy in three weeks and have to get his head around it all over again!

Just to be clear, it's our first, no hopes on either sex and we're prepared for a neutral baby anyway, just curious!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends at what stage you are at.
    I didn't find out on the 1st 3 but at 35 weeks on this one they could give me clear pictures as to whether it was a girl or boy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I had my scan (not 3D and not a specific gender scan) at 20 weeks and they told me a boy. I had another scan, with another hospital (again not 3D and not a specific gender scan) at 29 weeks and he was still a boy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We had the gender scan at 20 weeks and are going to be 30 weeks (almost) when the next scan is done. I would imagine since they're pretty much cooked at that stage that it should be pretty obvious!

No hospital scan until 32 weeks and they won't tell us the gender!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

With my first I had a private 3D anomaly scan at 22 weeks and it was a girl.
    Second I had just a gender 3D scan at 17 weeks and it was a boy. Both were 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We had the gender scan at 20 weeks and are going to be 30 weeks (almost) when the next scan is done. I would imagine since they're pretty much cooked at that stage that it should be pretty obvious!

No hospital scan until 32 weeks and they won't tell us the gender!

At the risk of sounding silly (apologies if I do) would it be the worst thing to wait for the hospital scan at 32 weeks? If you'll be 30 weeks when you have the private one done would the extra 2 weeks be too long to wait for you? Also you already had a gender scan and you're happy with that result it would save you a bit of money that you could spend on something else.
    Either way, its your money to spend as you want. Also I can fully understand your desire to see the little one again, I had my first scan last week and am dying to see the baby again at the 20-22 week one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

had a scan in the hospital at around 19 weeks and I was told a boy.
    went for a private 3d around 26/27 weeks( i think) and it was confirmed again it was a boy.
    I have a beautiful boy, the 3d scan was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I had a private gender scan 3d at 19 weeks and it was a girl
    I had a normal quick hospital scan at my hospital at 29 weeks and was told it was a boy.
    I then had a rescan gender scan the following week at the private place and got a very obvious potty shot of the girlie bits
    She is 22months now and definitely a girl

She is my 5th child,I also have 4 boys

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I had a gender scan at 18 weeks, as I really wanted to find out, and he was a boy then.

Roll on the anomaly scan 4 weeks later, and he is still a little boy, although it was as clear as day in the gender scan, so would have been rather surprised if something had dropped off!

At the risk of sounding silly (apologies if I do) would it be the worst thing to wait for the hospital scan at 32 weeks? If you'll be 30 weeks when you have the private one done would the extra 2 weeks be too long to wait for you? Also you already had a gender scan and you're happy with that result it would save you a bit of money that you could spend on something else.
    Either way, its your money to spend as you want. Also I can fully understand your desire to see the little one again, I had my first scan last week and am dying to see the baby again at the 20-22 week one.

We really want to know the gender and our hospital will not confirm for us, but it's actually an 18th birthday present for the auntie who didn't get to see the first gender scan, only the pictures :o Plus it's 3D, and OH really, really wants to see how much she's changed since we were there last :p

Edit: We haven't had a hospital scan since 12 weeks, and I was 14 weeks by the time the app came, so I'm more than a bit anxious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

We really want to know the gender and our hospital will not confirm for us, but it's actually an 18th birthday present for the auntie who didn't get to see the first gender scan, only the pictures :o Plus it's 3D, and OH really, really wants to see how much she's changed since we were there last :p

Edit: We haven't had a hospital scan since 12 weeks, and I was 14 weeks by the time the app came, so I'm more than a bit anxious!

I totally get the desire to see the little one again, as I said I feel like my 20-22 week scan is forever away. I thought you had confirmation that you were having a little girl though already which is why I was wondering why you'd have another gender scan (regardless of here to hospital doing that) anyway. But it's your baby and if you want to have 20 scans between now and your delivery of the little one then rock on.

• Advertisement

I totally get the desire to see the little one again, as I said I feel like my 20-22 week scan is forever away. I thought you had confirmation that you were having a little girl though already which is why I was wondering why you'd have another gender scan (regardless of here to hospital doing that) anyway. But it's your baby and if you want to have 20 scans between now and your delivery of the little one then rock on.

Only reason we're having another gender scan is because it's the cheapest form of 3D scan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

you can never be 100%. A boy's testicles can drop very late and could be mistaken for a girl, it happens a lot. My cousin in Belfast wasn't allowed a gender scan because of the complaints they were getting from people about the radiographer telling them the wrong gender and they were after buying loads of pink/blue stuff etc.

I was told a girl at a late (due to moving to a new hospital) scan, I was 28 weeks and was told it was a girl but when she was born I still asked was it a boy or a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I know of people having 3-4 scans throughout pregnancy telling them one thing, and the baby comes out the other gender.

I remember being so excited about our 20 week scan, to find out if it was a boy or a girl. And I remember then freaking out in the waiting room, and then lying down for the scan, not even caring about the sex, so long as the baby was healthy. We were told it was a boy, and I was delighted, but then they could see "shadows" on the heart and sent us out to get something to eat and a walk around to see if he'd move. Longest hour of my life! The "shadows" were nothing sinister, just the reflections from his spine, and his heart was absolutely fine.

I had about a gazillion scans after that for various reasons. And I never once asked them to confirm the sex. I won't go into details, but I received the scans for medical reasons, they weren't enjoyable. All I wanted to know was that the heart was still beating - I didn't care if it was a he or a she or an it! Just as long as the "it" was OK! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I know of people having 3-4 scans throughout pregnancy telling them one thing, and the baby comes out the other gender.

I remember being so excited about our 20 week scan, to find out if it was a boy or a girl. And I remember then freaking out in the waiting room, and then lying down for the scan, not even caring about the sex, so long as the baby was healthy. We were told it was a boy, and I was delighted, but then they could see "shadows" on the heart and sent us out to get something to eat and a walk around to see if he'd move. Longest hour of my life! The "shadows" were nothing sinister, just the reflections from his spine, and his heart was absolutely fine.

I had about a gazillion scans after that for various reasons. And I never once asked them to confirm the sex. I won't go into details, but I received the scans for medical reasons, they weren't enjoyable. All I wanted to know was that the heart was still beating - I didn't care if it was a he or a she or an it! Just as long as the "it" was OK! :)

That must of been so so so scary. Thank god everything was perfect :) we were told at every scan it was a boy! In fact at one scan the printed off a pic of his "equipment"!

Just to be clear I couldn't give a hoot if she is a she or a he, it's just something I wanted to know to help with bonding, I'm not one of those ladies (no offence) who thinks there is a bigger surprise in waiting until delivery of the baby to know. Obviously health is the first and foremost concern (hence why I haven't been able to go from 12 weeks until 32 weeks to see my baby alive and well on a screen).

Just curious as to how often they do actually get it wrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Two people I know and a friend of a friend were told the wrong sex. All three were told girl first and found out later in the pregnancy, one at 37 weeks, that it was a boy!! Only one of them had gone mad on the girly buying as in her head it was her second and final baby, the others had gone for more neutral stuff as they'd hoped to be reusing for future children.

I know a lot of other people who found out and it was right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

My husband and his ex went for a gender scan to Babyscan on their 2nd child. They already had a girl and they were told by Babyscan that they were expecting a little boy. They had the room painted blue and blue stuff bought and I know my husband was really looking forward to having a little boy to play football with etc.
    Anyway fast forward to the birth and out popped another girl! Hubby said it was a fierce shock altogether, just a surreal moment. It never entered their heads I don't think that Babyscan would have told them the wrong gender.
    He said it's a really strange feeling to be expecting something and have your head around it and then the opposite occurs.

It's my first baby but I had a strong preference for a boy, I love little boys and way prefer them to girls (sorry to be blatanly honest) I've always wanted a little boy. Anyway we found out it's a girl at the 15 week scan. 15 weeks is early but my doctor seems to have a knack for spotting gender, even during early scans, even when baby is wriggling a lot. Have another scan with her on Friday now so will get the gender confirmed. Then will have another scan not with her but a general hospital scan coming up so I'll see if they'll check it for me as well (CUMH - they will check if they can see it but I've heard alot of stories of them not being able to see).

You should try to get a different sonographer for this upcoming gender scan than you had the last time maybe, then it really is a 'second' opinion? But of course I don't know how they would react if you asked for that.....

It's funny after I found out we probably aren't having a boy, I did feel sad for a few days but it was good to get my sadness out of my system then, well in advance, don't want to be feeling anything like that on what will hopefully be the best day of my life i.e. the baby's' birth! I have extremely low AMH of 1.5 so dont' know if I'll get to have any more so this could be it. Or...based on hubby's track record even if we were lucky enough to conceive again, could be a 4th daughter for him! (he actually said he's not sure if he could handle that!!)

And funnily enough I'm getting my head around this whole girl thing now, was on hols last week and looking at an english mother and daughter playing in teh swimming pool, the bond between them was unreal. I was thinking hopefully I'll have that. I can see the advantages of girls like - you get to do girly things with them, they will confide in you much more than a boy will and they'll look after you better when you get older. I was a complete brat when I was a child though (I mean really bad) and my mother and I were at loggerheads for about 10 years. We get on great now, but if my daughter is anything like I was - god help me!! ;o)

Yeah Lucuma (no offense to your hubbie or ex obviously) but we haven't done any crazy gender shopping even though the lady at Babyscan actually said "Yep, that is definitely a little lady - buy her a pink bib from me!" which I thought was a bit too cocky, since I know they do not claim 100% accuracy. Mind you, weird though it is, I knew she was a girl as soon as I saw her face! I actually wanted a boy too, and there was a period of 5 mins during the scan when I was so quiet, until she smiled. I burst into tears and now I watch a Disney movie a day because she loves Phil Collins voice, and I can't imagine having a boy!

Like you, I'd want to know before, because I'd hate to be disappointed on the big day! All I want is a girl now, it's just so odd! We whinge about Daddy's snoring habits all the time and she's become a little person I always have with me! :o

Our cot and pram are totally neutral, and we have a healthy collection of neutral babygros and vests. She does have some dresses and such but they're all from charity shops and I'd say we spent a total of 20 euro on the whole lot if even that! And there's a mix of unisex tshirts and jeans, a ducky bathrobe and some bassinet covers too!

Yeah Lucuma (no offense to your hubbie or ex obviously) but we haven't done any crazy gender shopping even though the lady at Babyscan actually said "Yep, that is definitely a little lady - buy her a pink bib from me!" which I thought was a bit too cocky, since I know they do not claim 100% accuracy. Mind you, weird though it is, I knew she was a girl as soon as I saw her face! I actually wanted a boy too, and there was a period of 5 mins during the scan when I was so quiet, until she smiled. I burst into tears and now I watch a Disney movie a day because she loves Phil Collins voice, and I can't imagine having a boy!

Like you, I'd want to know before, because I'd hate to be disappointed on the big day! All I want is a girl now, it's just so odd! We whinge about Daddy's snoring habits all the time and she's become a little person I always have with me! :o

Our cot and pram are totally neutral, and we have a healthy collection of neutral babygros and vests. She does have some dresses and such but they're all from charity shops and I'd say we spent a total of 20 euro on the whole lot if even that! And there's a mix of unisex tshirts and jeans, a ducky bathrobe and some bassinet covers too!

I think it's good to buy neutral sheets, towels, changing mat, grobags etc (everything bar day clothes!) so you can use them again on number 2! Obviously you would buy some new things anyway but sheets for Moses basket are bot used for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

We're due our big scan in 2 Weeks. I am not pushed either way, and thought I want to wait till he/she arrives. But when it came up, my other half said he really wants to know, it was one of the first things he asked the doctor, when can we find out?! He said it is because he'll find it easier to bond with the baby before it arrives and it'll make it a real person for him. I can see that, its in me and sometimes it doesn't even feel real to me! also he really wants a girl, so it would be good for him to have time to adjust if it is a boy. So we're going to find out. Although I don't think we'll tell anyone (except for you boardsies :)), just keep it our secret :)

• Advertisement

I know finding out ruins the surprise on the big day but for me anyway it definitely makes the pregnancy more meaningful/special.

Millem wrote: »
    I think it's good to buy neutral sheets, towels, changing mat, grobags etc (everything bar day clothes!) so you can use them again on number 2! Obviously you would buy some new things anyway but sheets for Moses basket are bot used for a long time!

I bought mostly neutral things with no 1 (except day clothes and some babygros) but only discovered today that my 0-6mnth grobags are all pink. So my son has now gone to bed in a pink grobag. But hey who sees him in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Most of my son's previously white towels, sheets, bibs etc are now pink, following an unfortunate incident involving the washing machine and a dark pink pillow case.

He hasn't complained. Yet!

and she's become a little person I always have with me! :o

Our cot and pram are totally neutral, and we have a healthy collection of neutral babygros and vests. She does have some dresses and such

Love how you put that ' she's become a little person that I always have with me..'
    Awww :-)
    The attached is the sum total of what I have for little one at d mo...it was bought to mark her presence with us at BOD's last irish match/Ire winning six nations, I couldn't resist!

Suucee wrote: »
    I bought mostly neutral things with no 1 (except day clothes and some babygros) but only discovered today that my 0-6mnth grobags are all pink. So my son has now gone to bed in a pink grobag. But hey who sees him in bed.

My 0-6 grobags are blue but am getting biege ones for 6-18 months!

Millem wrote: »
    My 0-6 grobags are blue but am getting biege ones for 6-18 months!

Yea i must have seem sence with the bigger 1s too as they are all beige. Its just the 0-6 that are pink.

Suucee wrote: »
    Yea i must have seem sence with the bigger 1s too as they are all beige. Its just the 0-6 that are pink.

Yes me too :) all Moses basket sheets are blue too :(

Advertisement