Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2012, 13:30   #256
Pace2008
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
What about sign language apes?

"Sign language apes" may not be as accurate a term as "Apes that have been taught some signs." Certainly, chimps and gorillas have, under instruction, learned to utilise signs to covey simple desires or feelings, but there has not been a majority consensus amongst linguists and cognitive scientists that the brief symbol strings displayed by the apes constitute a syntax, which is required for communication to qualify as full-blown language. "bad-frown-sad" is an expression of emotion but it is not a sentence.

Interesting stuff all the same, and worthy of further research.

Last edited by Pace2008; 14-03-2012 at 13:34.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 20:07   #257
sonicthebadger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephir0th View Post
Phew Koko got new kittens! You had me wasting loads of time on youtube - I got to a video of a dog and a crow playing with a ball...
That dog and crow video is amazing! I want a pet crow now. My Granny actually used to have two but the idea of having pet crows lost some of its shine when one of them spotted her walking on the Main Street one day and came down to say hello. She needed to go home and get clean clothes.

Last edited by sonicthebadger*; 14-03-2012 at 20:08. Reason: didn't mean to quote video again
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion