Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE One: 'Would You Believe' - Parents Believe They've Communicated With Dead Son

• 10-05-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see this thing on 'Would You Believe' on RTE One last Sunday? I didn't because I don't watch Irish TV anymore but I came across the listing in the paper and looked for it on RTE Player then.

Anyway, the two parents lost their six-year-old son to an inoperable brain tumour and, since then, have said they have had some unusual/paranormal (?) experiences. They reckon he's communicated with them from beyond the grave.

Very touching and interesting story about the parents' love for, and loss of, their son anyway.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1097871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

i watched it on RTE Real player after a friend told me about it.

i didnt like the priest in it at all...thought he was very matter of fact and cold with the father who lost his son. he wasn't in a classroom giving a lecture to students and i thought he could have come across more understanding. Ive found, through my own experience with grief and death, that there was only one priest who spoke to me with such compassion that he made the tragedy of burying family members that little bit easier to bear and his words have stayed with me to this day and when i find myself getting upset...i think of what the priest said to me.

Anyway...the only thing that put me off the programme was the priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

cassiedoll wrote: »
    i didnt like the priest in it at all...thought he was very matter of fact and cold with the father who lost his son. he wasn't in a classroom giving a lecture to students and i thought he could have come across more understanding. Anyway...the only thing that put me off the programme was the priest.

I know what you mean. That Fr. Pat Collins should have been more sympathetic to the father and respectful of his beliefs. As you said, the priest wasn't giving a lecture in a classroom - he was speaking to a father who's obviously still going through the rigours of the grieving process.

The priest seemed to be very keen to push his own points home just because he was on camera and probably wanted to seem credible to his peers in the clergy. Fine, have an opinion, but don't accuse a grieving father of having "wishful thinking" (even if it is true in your eyes), and especially not on TV. You have to bite your tongue sometimes to spare other people's feelings.

I mean, if the parents derive comfort from the belief that their son is still around in spirit, then leave them off and let them find their own truths.

That said, Fr. Collins' point about the phenomena in the parent's home being a product of psychokinesis is valid, but he shouldn't have tried to thrust that idea on the father.
    cassiedoll wrote: »
    Ive found, through my own experience with grief and death, that there was only one priest who spoke to me with such compassion that he made the tragedy of burying family members that little bit easier to bear and his words have stayed with me to this day and when i find myself getting upset...i think of what the priest said to me.

Some priests in this country are very compassionate and do work hard to provide a faith-based service to their communities alright. I suppose we don't hear enough about the decent ones, even though I'm not hugely religious myself, I have to admit (Christmas = sole, annual trip to mass). But I have met nice priests who do seem to care about the people in their community and are in touch with the modern world as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

"That said, Fr. Collins' point about the phenomena in the parent's home being a product of psychokinesis is valid, but he shouldn't have tried to thrust that idea on the father."

i agree that he was valid with that point but you don't need to be a priest to realise that's not what a grieving father wanted to hear.

i know this is going a bit of topic but it is the same reason, to an extent, why people go to mediums, clairvoyants etc...they need that comfort from somebody outside their circle of friends and family and i just think that a priest should have had that in mind when he was speaking to him and also to people watching the progam who may be experienced similar events as the father

it put me off going to one of his lectures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

maccored wrote: »

I know - I only saw that afterwards. I don't have time to scour through all the topics/threads here most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i agree with the general thrust from the scientific viewpoint that science is always learning and exploring new things, but if there was such an ambunance of paranormal activity happening - how come we only heard of a bulb blowing and two lights flickering? I wouldn't class that as 'paranormal activity' tbh. If loads of other stuff happened, how come we never heard of it on that show?

Advertisement