Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism Masters

• 07-04-2011 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how a masters in journalism in NUIG looks on a CV? i've applied to both NUIG and DCU, haven't heard anything from DCU, but NUIG accepted me and i have to reply by tomorrow!

I'm in UL and i know dublin a bit better than galway, but i wasn't overly impressed with the DCU campus. also living in galway is considerably cheaper and sadly money is a bit of a factor...

i'd love to know how anyone in the media perceives those who come out of DCU versus other colleges.... Thanks a million guys :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how a masters in journalism in NUIG looks on a CV? i've applied to both NUIG and DCU, haven't heard anything from DCU, but NUIG accepted me and i have to reply by tomorrow!

I'm in UL and i know dublin a bit better than galway, but i wasn't overly impressed with the DCU campus. also living in galway is considerably cheaper and sadly money is a bit of a factor...

i'd love to know how anyone in the media perceives those who come out of DCU versus other colleges.... Thanks a million guys :D

To be honest I don't think it makes a huge difference. I'm in DIT doing a Masters in Journalism and it all depends on how much work you put in. DCU and other places such as Independent Colleges provide work experience, which looks great on a CV because you have real-world journalism experience. In DIT we don't get work experience, but our lecturers are always letting us know if any comes up and if you want, you take it.

It really does depend on the amount of work you put in and the effort you go to in finding work experience. From talking to people that do journalism courses all the colleges aren't great because they teach academic degrees; you have to take bulls**t modules on ethics, law and other (IMO) useless courses. I'd say that different media organisations etc don't judge potential employees by the school or college that they went to, but how much experience they have on their CV. But that's just my opinion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Thanks a million :)

Am thinking galway now for a whole host of reasons, and DCU emailed me saying that they won't decide until they have all the applications in, which is at least the 29th of April.

Yeah exactly, i know a girl doing journalism (undergrad) degree in UL and she has more law modules than actual law students, which is crazy! Also agree that work experience is the main thing...

We were up at the smedias last week and everything seemed very Dublin oriented, but I suppose that if you work hard enough and are talented you can transcend that (and this maybe just culchie paranoia!)

Hope the masters is going well for you and you get what you want outta it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 katiefinnegan

I've been offered the Masters in Journalism in NUIG and need to let them know by Saturday... Did you accept the place you were offered? I'm still unsure between this one and another I've been offered!

Hey Katie

I did, mainly because DCU told me I would have to wait the best part of a month to hear back from them and I didn't want to be stuck without anything.
    DCU offered me the interview place but I turned them down because I had already paid the 500 euro deposit for Galway.

Having said that, I picked Galway over Dublin not just because of the lower cost of living, but because it's a nicer city, nicer campus... Also I know several people going there which will make life easier. I thought as well if I make a career out of journalism I will be spending long enough in a big city like Dublin anyway. I've heard so many good things about Galway so living there for a year will be a change from grim Limerick!

Which other college are you deciding between? It's like kidkeith89 said, they teach academic degrees, there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between the courses. At the end of the day its experience that counts...

Hope this helps!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rosita

KidKeith89 wrote: »

From talking to people that do journalism courses all the colleges aren't great because they teach academic degrees; you have to take bulls**t modules on ethics, law and other (IMO) useless courses. I'd say that different media organisations etc don't judge potential employees by the school or college that they went to, but how much experience they have on their CV. But that's just my opinion..

Not sure how things like law and ethics are bullsh*t modules in an "academic" course. In reality they are fundamental areas of knowledge for anyone going into journalism. Bear in mind these "academic" courses are put together by people who are journalists first and foremost rather than academics.

If people wish to gain experience instead then let them take their chances but I can say that I worked in a national newspaper and I know I'd never have darkened the door of it without the Master's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 katiefinnegan

Thanks a million for that :) I was trying to chose between this and a Business Diploma. Accepted this one though so I guess I'll see you on the 4th of September!

Aw cool :) see you then, and enjoy the summer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Hi Guys, didnt want to start a new thread but does anyone have any information on the masters course in DIT? Fee wise its nearly €9000 with a €2500 registration fee on top! Or am I reading that wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferdo

Interested in doing MA in Sports Journalism in the UK.
    Does anybody know about these degrees, please? I am thinking of Central Lancashire and St. Mary's.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

To be honest, I would't bother with a masters in journalism as you don't necessarily need a degree to even be a journalist. I have an undergrad in journalism from DCU and it's a very very competitive market. Falling revenues in media outlets have resulted in a severe lack of jobs.

The only good thing about doing the MA in DCU is the Intra program at the end. You get placed in a media outlet and there are some top ones available such as the Irish Independent, RTE and The Irish Times. Masters students are more likely to be kept on and be possibly given full time roles. But it's a very difficult profession to break into. It's all about experience rather than academic achievements. But like any profession, if you want to break into it bad enough, you will :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

A masters in honesty, impartiality and integrity would be start for "journalists" in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferdo

Thanks jjHY - my interest is mainly sport and politics.

Advertisement