Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Low level (40-60ish) invasions are pretty annoying at the moment. People with stupidly overpowered gear one shotting me constantly. Had to go offline just to be able to fight Lautrec, as anytime i was online in Anor Londo, i was invaded straight away by someone who just smashed me. Bloody frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

calex71 wrote: »
    Got it myself last night, very pleased indeed. There were some truly shocking moments at the end of NG+ like where seath sat on me and insta killed me dropping 27 humanity and 700k souls :mad: , had to stay in range of co-op buddy hence me having so many and I fell on the way back down

Congrats. Yeah, most people say NG+ is easy, it is until O&S, and beyond, by that point they're really hitting hard, one shots not being unusual. Would like to try co-oping the game, solo'd most, although did use help on Artorias and O&S. Most other bosses, there just was not summon signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Now in NG++ and invasions are really coming thick and fast mostly chumps and the odd angry message about me using estus ...... use a humanity chump!!!! :D

One thing though, i though sins got reset in NG? Have a few spirits of vengeance invade :confused:

This really grinds my gears, just because they happen to be sh!t and don't use what's neccessary to win then they shouldn't be playing Dark Souls online at all! It's a tough and unforgiving game and when people resort to petty squabbles over what items were used it's no more than a five year old in a playground complaining that he shot you with his invisible gun when you say "Nuh uh you didn't!"

If they don't want you to use Estus so badly they should use a Lloyd's Talisman to negate that usage, they should also stock up on humanities for their own healing purposes. It's funny that invaders basically invade YOUR world and expect you to behave in PvP by how they dictate. I have no problems with honour fights, bowing and 1vs1 but when chumps start complaining about legitimate game mechanics then I really start pummeling them (sometimes you get the same guy in PvP if you stick around)

Anyway rant over :D. I don't know much about your Sin carrying over to a NG but it seems as though it does, perhaps maybe to give the player invasions from Darkmooners early on.

Sometimes you just get a break in this game, I wanted the dark wood grain ring and I'd left the forest covenant, so back i went to rejoin and then Shiva was back outside figured I'd need to complete another area to get him down to his spot in blighttown as I didn't fancy taking on the whole covenant and was about to turn and go when out of the corner of my eye i saw a glowing yellow orb where his ninja bodyguard should have been, over I go and pick up my ring, no idea what happened to the ninja or how he died, covenant members weren't aggro either :confused:

For future reference, you can get the Dark Wood Grain easily enough in the Darkroot garden by simply kicking his bodyguard off the cliff (kicking doesn't aggro him). Then he falls off and dies just quit game and reload back in and the ring will be there. Shiva etc won't aggro right away but they won't when you log straight back in so it gives you enough breathe to get a run start to head towards the door out.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

So now Microsoft has announced GFWL is being discontinued, what next for Dark souls? Have not put in too much effort so far but am wondering would it be worth it at all investing in this game anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There was twitter announcement about steamworks being patched in before GFWL kicks it. Should've been steamworks from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ah great stuff, I was thinking with such a large online community supporting the game there would be some solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Currently need two miracles; one I missed in Ash lake, and one from Darkmoon Blade convenant, but I'm crap at pvp. :(

PVP is all about the shoulder-stab. Its not a backstab imo its more hitting near the shoulder, once you get the trick of it you just start sprinting towards someone as soon as they leave themselves open to it. Other than that if you have a weapon that does more damage just get in to a tit for tat battle. If you can knock their poise out then you can normally get in 2 or 3 hits. Always try and head backwards if someone looks like they're trying to backstab you using lag.

Hard humanity heals your health so farm them if you can.

Always summon help from the area it costs you nothing.

There are a few hotspots just keep practicing until you get the hang of it.

My favourite weapon is the dark knight greataxde but its hardly the best - love Queelags sword for the r2 attack as well. Most of the best are combos with darkmoon blade or gold pine resins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'M HOME!!!

I can finally pick this back up. I had just killed Nito but I have literally no idea what my plan was after that. Very excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Just got to the 4 kings. Is there a bonfire anywhere closer than firelink shrine? Havent found one in new londo ruins anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just got to the 4 kings. Is there a bonfire anywhere closer than firelink shrine? Havent found one in new londo ruins anywhere

No, afraid not. There is a shortcut though. Once you cross the bridge after the elevator and meet the first two ghosts, rather than going up the steps hang a right and drop down. From there you can sprint to the fog gate.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No, afraid not. There is a shortcut though. Once you cross the bridge after the elevator and meet the first two ghosts, rather than going up the steps hang a right and drop down. From there you can sprint to the fog gate.

Thats still a seriously long trek for an inevitable pounding

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thats still a seriously long trek for an inevitable pounding

Yeah easily one of the most tedious parts of the game. Throw on Havel's Armour if you have it and get in close with a good weapon, they're not too bad that way. If you're right on top of one of them the others won't attack you until until you've killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah easily one of the most tedious parts of the game. Throw on Havel's Armour if you have it and get in close with a good weapon, they're not too bad that way. If you're right on top of one of them the others won't attack you until until you've killed it.
    Just past there myself. Agree with Mick, found it an easy enough fight with Havel's Armour and Ring and a Lightning Uchi +5, run up and melee the bejaysus out of them. Go two handed with your weapon too, shield is useless in this fight. Just keep topping up with estus when your health goes below half.

Not only am i stuck on the 4 kings, i was having a quick coffee break standing near a bonfire and got cursed by a gravelord. This game is cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not only am i stuck on the 4 kings, i was having a quick coffee break standing near a bonfire and got cursed by a gravelord. This game is cold

As others said go into the 4 kings fight fat and 2 handed with your weapon, on playthrough 1 I also used the power within pyromancy, not really smart if you are low on estus though as it drains health so use it only as you run to the 1st king, and i also had 10 humanity to power up the qulag sword i was using at the time. Made bits of them!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The Four Kings took me about 5 or 6 tries, I tried my normal play style and consistently failed, tried Havels Armour + two handed weapon and beat them easily on the first attempt. Just attack relentlessly, don't bother blocking and keep an eye on your health. As long as you keep attacking you should never have more than two of them to worry about at any one time, keep strafing as well to stay behind them and you can avoid some of the attacks

Forget the heavy armour etc. get your best weapon you can wield, its all about rolling and dodging out of the way. If you're quick enough you can get through this battle without being hit once. Its big attack is unavoidable but you can block it without taking damage if you get a little bit of distance it and you. Another thing is when you kill the first one keep hitting the thing because until it completely dissapears you're doing damage to the overall health of the boss. This applys to the others as well. I found all the bosses can be avoided relatively easy once you get the hang of them except artorias and the stray demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The Capra demon was the only time the game was actually a ****.

MOC88 wrote: »
    Forget the heavy armour etc. get your best weapon you can wield, its all about rolling and dodging out of the way. If you're quick enough you can get through this battle without being hit once. Its big attack is unavoidable but you can block it without taking damage if you get a little bit of distance it and you. Another thing is when you kill the first one keep hitting the thing because until it completely dissapears you're doing damage to the overall health of the boss. This applys to the others as well. I found all the bosses can be avoided relatively easy once you get the hang of them except artorias and the stray demon.

Beat the 4 kings the other day by going in swinging. I used iron flesh and pyromancy at the start then just went 2 handed with a crystal halberd.
    Artorias is a fantastic battle, I genuinely enjoyed taking him on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Artorias was awesome I agree. The entire DLC was gdlike.

Beat the 4 kings the other day by going in swinging. I used iron flesh and pyromancy at the start then just went 2 handed with a crystal halberd.
    Artorias is a fantastic battle, I genuinely enjoyed taking him on

Haha I must try that sometime. I'm addicted to dodging I can't even build a proper tank character because I hate the slow motion.

Artorias was my favourite boss- the timing for dodging had to be near immaculate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Haha I must try that sometime. I'm addicted to dodging I can't even build a proper tank character because I hate the slow motion.

Artorias was my favourite boss- the timing for dodging had to be near immaculate.

same, played the game 5-6 times and each time with a dex

i tried a high poise tank once, got to just before the first taurus demon and exited out in disgust to start again as another dex build. I just hate how sloooooooooooow high poise characters move. even <50% chars feel like they're walking through custard

I usually try dodge with light armour and use pyromancy but the 4 Kings i had no choice but to go in hard and heavy. I actually beat pinwheel in about a minute going in 2 handed with heavy armor

I think high poise characters are useless unless you have at least high endurance to make you lighter and move around quickly. High poise + High Vitality is pretty much tanking and my main PvP character would be this type of character, while he is slow he can pretty much absorb so much damage that I can continuously hit someone in place and kill them before they do the same to me. I sometimes try not to get hit so often but if someone is quite fast and I am slow, I usually let their confidence become their downfall as if they get at least one hit in they think they will kill me in the next hit or so (which doesn't happen) so I use that opening to use the demon greataxe which gets them.

So if you want high poise id try supplement it with having a strong increase in a stat such as endurance or vitality to make it more useful. High poise armors usually are the heaviest set so you have to decide to either become quick in it (endurance + lots of stamina) or become a tank (vitality + lots of health). Otherwise you're better off using an alternative set of armor that is generally light and has good resistances.

SO EXCITE

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is there a new thread for DS 2 yet?

Debating the Black Armour or Collectors Edition.....decisions decisions.

noodler wrote: »
    Is there a new thread for DS 2 yet?

Debating the Black Armour or Collectors Edition.....decisions decisions.

There is indeed: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056826893

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I haven't touched this game since I got to the valley of the drakes. I'll give it another shot. How are you supposed to take on the small dragons? Arrows slowly kills them but thats boring as hell. I got killed almost instantly other wise. Their attacks took away too much stamina when blocked

• Advertisement

run up around them, not directly behind but in between the wing and tail. swipe swipe, then jump/roll out of the way when they do their electro blast thingie.. then repeat

Advertisement