Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Let me know if i've gotten this wrong on here, but what could be the cause of RSS Feeds that were automatically d/loading & now most aren't d/loading now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 andaman

Recently got fibre with eircom and done a bit of heavy downloading and feel like im being throttled now.I assume all providers will throttle if u download too much,but does anyone know is one better than the other i,m cancelling this contract anway not much point paying for fibre when you aren't allowed use it is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

andaman wrote: »
    i,m cancelling this contract anway not much point paying for fibre when you aren't allowed abuse it is there?

fyp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Anyone else on UPC having lots of issues with crashes in uTorrent since the last speed update?

Can't seem to sort it. Whenever the speed reaches 25MB/s the memory usage starts to skyrocket until it reaches the limit at 1800MB, then uTorrent crashes. It doesn't happen when I download to an SSD, only when I am downloading to a HDD. If I set the disk cache to default, then it says 'Disk Overloaded 100%' and the speed drops to zero. Is there another torrent program where this isn't an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

People still use uTorrent?

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    People still use uTorrent?

What other one is there? as i've only ever known that one afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Many people stopped using utorrent when they put ads into it, it's basically malware now tbh. I use a client called transmission, there are many to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Transmission used to be mainly for Mac OSX and Linux. Is there a Windows version that works well?

Deluge is an alternative to uTorrent that should work ok. It's available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

http://deluge-torrent.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

QBittorrent is another free bloat free cross-platform

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

srsly78 wrote: »
    Many people stopped using utorrent when they put ads into it, it's basically malware now tbh. I use a client called transmission, there are many to choose from.

I came across a tip one time to stop the ads, deep in the settings.

I haven't noticed any malware yet,
    But i have noticed the RSS feeds some have stopped for some reason & when you d/load them, it stalls until you restart it a few times:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The only thing I have in my uTorrent is an ad at the top and an ad in the bottom left corner. It never bothered me so I never changed. I also have about 2TB of torrent files that I'd have to move over and I was too lazy :o

But I've just come across this on reddit and I'm making the change tonight.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893982/utorrent-quietly-installs-a-cryptocurrency-miner-on-users-computers.html

Oat23 wrote: »
    The only thing I have in my uTorrent is an ad at the top and an ad in the bottom left corner. It never bothered me so I never changed. I also have about 2TB of torrent files that I'd have to move over and I was too lazy :o

But I've just come across this on reddit and I'm making the change tonight.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893982/utorrent-quietly-installs-a-cryptocurrency-miner-on-users-computers.html

How do you know its installed?
    I must check again, what version i have, as a poster said:
    Get 2.21 it is generally accepted as the last great problem

Get 2.21 it is generally accepted as the last great problem
    :)

degsie wrote: »
    :)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The general consensus is to use uTorrent 2.2.1.

You would want to be careful with newer versions as they bundle in Conduit PUP

moonboy52 wrote: »

:) Thanks, i'll have a look to see which one i have tomoro.
    I'm pretty sure i got that tip on the ads in torrentfreak, along with rss feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Can anyone recommend a speedy VPN with USA connections? PIA only gives me 3.5 meg from my constant 80 meg connection with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

SachaJ wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a speedy VPN with USA connections? PIA only gives me 3.5 meg from my constant 80 meg connection with Vodafone.

Try the free 14 day trial here.I have only a 7 meg connection but I don't lose any !

I haven't been on here/boards for as often as i like, & never got around to getting that 2.2.1. version, as it's slowing/freezing the laptop down & have to restart it :mad:

Btw: if i can ask here, if possible, but what has happened to kickassunblock? it's taken a long time to load or is under attack?

Thanks.

Btw: i forgot to ask, if you install 2.2.1. over existing, will it overwrite/delete any settings?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I dumped utrorent a while back. Moved to deluge.

HAve it running on my HTPC as a daemon service. It's lightweight and works well, and definitely more stable that utorrent. utorrent started to get heavy in terms of resource use and as mentioned previously started to pack malware into its latest releases.

Personally won't be going back to it.

Although I've migrated to mostly newsgroups the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I just checked my version,it's 2.02.I refuse to update it but I might try deluge as Doc recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Did i get it right - every provider throttles torent downloads, particularly on speedy connections ? Been with sky upto 24mb/ real speed for speedtest was about 8, had about 5-6 mb speed for torrents. Moved house and got virginmedia, speedtest 230 vired, torrents not moving at all, tried 2 programs - deluge and utorrent. Only 200 kb using vpn client. What's the story here ?

rai555 wrote: »
    Did i get it right - every provider throttles torent downloads, particularly on speedy connections ? Been with sky upto 24mg/ real speed for speedtest was about 8, had about 5-6 gb speed for torrents. Moved house and got virginmedia, speedtest 230 vired, torrents not moving at all, tried 2 programs - deluge and utorrent. Only 200mg using vpn client. What's the story here ?

srsly? 5-6 gigabit?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

degsie wrote: »
    srsly? 5-6 gigabit?

no, i just messed up speeds completely

rai555 wrote: »
    no, i just messed up speeds completely
    fixed, I see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I got the new Virgin Media hub with 360/36 the other day, and I'm fairy certain they're throttling torrents.

I previously had the technicolour modem/router with 120/12, and had no problems. While it didn't always happen, I did see speeds of 14.1 MB/s down, and 1.3 MB/s up. Not always, but never far off.

The download speed with the VM hub is not too bad on a well seeded torrent. It'll hit 15 MB/s down, but it's usually between 4 and 7.
    The upload speed is where the real problem exists. It's struggling to hit 80 KB/s. That's Eircom DSL upload speed.

Note that I'm connected through a Cat 6 cable.
    Anyone else experience this?

Speed test result:

5209113303.png

Basic download:

381740.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Terry wrote: »
    I got the new Virgin Media hub with 360/36 the other day, and I'm fairy certain they're throttling torrents.

You can test if they are HERE:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tenner says you're not connectable so you're only seeding to a tiny minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Appears I was wrong.
    I switched from µTorrent to qBittorrent, and seeded almost 17 GB in 4 hours.

Advertisement