Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

After Hours Ban

• 20-11-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

RE : Paris Terror Attacks Thread in AH

I got my first ban for flaming a poster who was calling me a crypto-facist
    The irony of that , being banned for highlighting the overuse by another poster of facist, racist and xenophobic idioms is mind-boggling.

My second ban came after I posted back in the forum.
    So my ban is lifed but I cant post in the thread anymore…. Again the irony of that is Kafkaesue and would not be out of place in a Joseph Heller book.

Thirdly Ive seeing a frequent poster in that thread Peist2007 , call people ‘gimps’ and tell someone to shut up .. yet they receive no-infraction , no ban no warning… seems like double standards to me.
    Seems one side of some debates can get away with saying what they want about other posters. Or is it a case of 'not who you know, but what mod you know'

So could you please lift my ban and allow me to post in that thread.

I understand the logic of the initial ban. Under boards rules I deserved it.

I dont understand the logic of preventing me from posting in that thread once the ban is expired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there.

You were clearly told by the moderator at the time of the first ban not to post in the thread again. You posted in the thread - you got banned for ignoring a mod instruction. If you had an issue with the thread ban you should have discussed this with the mod.

Regarding your points about other posters' behaviour - this is not relevant to your ban & is not up for discussion in this forum.

In relation to the thread ban - you need to discuss this with the moderator. If you cannot resolve it between you, you can the PM & I will look into the matter.

Regarding the most recent ban - this is upheld. You may appeal to the Admin if you wish.

tHB

...In relation to the thread ban - you need to discuss this with the moderator. If you cannot resolve it between you, you can the PM & I will look into the matter...

Please ignore the above. I've taken a look at your contributions to that thread & agree with the mod's thread ban.

I have also reviewed the PM exchange between you & the mod & I have to say that your PMs were not terribly constructive. Our mods have enough crap to put up with without having to deal with your snide comments & put-downs.

Be thankful that your ban is not being increased.

If you have cause to PM a member of the mod team again, I would ask that you be a bit more civil.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Fair comments, thanks for taking the time to look into this so thoroughly.
    It seems your BANs are forum wide and not thread wide.
    Why was I banned from AH , and not just from the thread.

So once the ban expires , can I post in the thread again or not ?

If the answer is yes , then great .

If the answer is NO, I cant post in the thread , then could you explain the logic of how that works.

Whats the actual point of a temporary BAN ?
    The BAN just stops you posting, it doesnt stop you reading the thread obviously.
    Then the BAN expires, but you cant post, so in effect the BAN is still in place.

Its like a 3-match suspension then expires but your actually not allowed play again.
    Can someone exxplain the logic of that?

Your first ban was a 1-day forum ban with the addition of a permanent thread-ban. The mod note appended to the ban told you not to post in the thread again. That still stands.

The thread-ban is permanent because you were flaming. Your comments were unhelpful & disruptive. Now, had you had a civil conversation like an adult via PM with the mod concerned they may have allowed you to post in the thread again. Instead, you continued to be uncivil & make snide remarks about the mod.

The logic is that we don't consider your actions bad enough to apply a long term forum ban. However, you have proven to be disruptive in one particular thread so we do not want you to post in that thread again.

Important bits:
    This forum deals with cards & forum bans only - not thread bans. If you have further questions on your thread ban - PM me.
    Please indicate if you wish to appeal your latest forum ban to the Admins. Otherwise this thread will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

So somonee can call me a crypto facist, and I get the ban for winding them up and saying they can wear a rainbow shirt cos I believe in a persons right todo that...

wow.. as I said in the PM to that other mod.
    turn Irony level goes to 11
    turn absurdity dial to 111...

Could you make the ban permanent.

I cant deal with the logic of you adults, that a ban is lifted but you cant post.
    Its either a ban or its not a ban.
    Dont tell me your lifting a ban, if I still cant post.

The world is mad enough without having to deal with this sort of moderator logic.

Catch 22 was a good book, doesnt mean I want to live it.

And those remarks werent snide remakrs... theres nothing snide about them. They are quite clear in their intention and point.

If persons are so sensitive they cant see the illogic of their own actions when its pointed out to them. thats not my problem thats their problem.

You guys are living in fear of calling out anyone who refers to someone as a racist , xenophobe are facists. Your living in fear of thse terms and your promoting their mis-use all because you mods are afraid to tackle those people. You think just cos they use those terms they are untouchable.

Anyways make the ban permanent. I know what I stand for, if ye ever figure out what ye stand for let me know. (NB - its not SNIDE remark.. thats a direct statement. )

• Advertisement

If you are being called names - report the posts & let the mods deal with it. That's always be the way.

As you don't want to contest the ban & now wish it to be made permanent I shall request that this appeal be marked as resolved.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement