Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

glad I didn't go to that.. warp 69 and wubble u petal.. fuk that...

lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

anyone remember an oldskool tune.. another well known track that had a female vocal in it saying " tried and liked it" tried and liked it

If it hasn't already been stated, this is the track you're after:

http://www.discogs.com/Shaker-Just-Lick-It/release/75689

Cant remember which side, but I think the sample is from Ice T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

WTF is wrong with those tunes, :-\

It was a great night with great atmosphere the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

2 shít tunes lol.

even the dj looks like hes got a pain in his bollox playing them tunes lol

Ken1975 wrote: »
    If it hasn't already been stated, this is the track you're after:

http://www.discogs.com/Shaker-Just-Lick-It/release/75689

Cant remember which side, but I think the sample is from Ice T.
    yea someone ided it for me before.. i kept thinkin it was mooncat.. skkot i think you ided it for me.. its the Bone's Hardhead Mix.. that mix doesn't seem to be on youtube.. always a good catchy tune that one

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭skoot

yea someone ided it for me before.. i kept thinkin it was mooncat.. skkot i think you ided it for me.. its the Bone's Hardhead Mix.. that mix doesn't seem to be on youtube.. always a good catchy tune that one

can't remember if i did but i prefer this version AA1 side
    http://www.discogs.com/Shaker-Mooncat-Remix-Just-Lick-It/release/74466

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

jonnny68 wrote: »

I think the problem alot of ppl have now with old skool gigs is the same tunes getting played.

There's plenty of other tunes tha could be played.Also alot of the rare tunes have been id'd aswell so why don't the DJ's play these instead of the same stuff that has be getting played at gigs and on radio statios etc.

Now thats my read on the suitation.Not that i have been to any of the gigs.:D

but on the other hand.. as francois said on this topic before.. when ya do play the more rare tracks.. people do be walking off the dance floor.. id say a big majority of the crowd who go to the oldskool gigs never went to the asylum or sides..and they only know the more well known tunes.. warp 69 lionrock grace etc etc.. I heard an ed case mix he did from one of the oldskool nights and it was pure ****e.. nothing like the mixes he use to do back in the day.. those gigs are mostly just a money maker..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

skoot wrote: »
    can't remember if i did but i prefer this version AA1 side
    http://www.discogs.com/Shaker-Mooncat-Remix-Just-Lick-It/release/74466

*ahem* :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83707638&postcount=4713

023.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

This Saturday @ Fibbers..... a real oldskool treat in store! :cool:

1175112_10151778829210589_539461818_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

why have i never seen this thread till now... ace

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

chprt wrote: »

Never knew this was your kinda music paddy!!

but on the other hand.. as francois said on this topic before.. when ya do play the more rare tracks.. people do be walking off the dance floor.. id say a big majority of the crowd who go to the oldskool gigs never went to the asylum or sides..and they only know the more well known tunes.. warp 69 lionrock grace etc etc.. I heard an ed case mix he did from one of the oldskool nights and it was pure ****e.. nothing like the mixes he use to do back in the day.. those gigs are mostly just a money maker..

lol

So why did u make this comment ''glad I didn't go to that.. warp 69 and wubble u petal.. fuk that... '' if you know what to expect...lol only joking

Are they really money makers.are they making money out of it.

How much are they charging into these gigs and what sort of attendence.

From what i've seen they can charge anywer between €10-€25.€25 usually for the Vaults.

Anyways why don't the DJ's just say to feck with the crowd mix it up play half the rare and half the popular oldskool tracks and see how it goes.

chprt wrote: »

I thought that was refering to me.I was thinking who the hell is this.Now i'm just thinking that the thread is ace..lol

welcome.....

aceberg wrote: »
    Are they really money makers.are they making money out of it.

I can't imagine they are
    How much are they charging into these gigs and what sort of attendence.

Usually in smaller venues, it's about 10-15 yoyos, they could get anywhere from 100 people upwards. Or it could be a complete disaster, with less people. I've been to a few crap ones, Attendance-wise, The Vaults included!
    From what i've seen they can charge anywer between €10-€25.€25 usually for the Vaults.

Those Vaults gigs, were mainly run by "The Asylum brand", which is why they charged so much. Also, they got a lot of big names to play, so they would have had to be paid a decent sum, for playing at them. So a profit would have had to be a must in that case, as it would've been some money to be out of pocket, paying those guys.
    Anyways why don't the DJ's just say to feck with the crowd mix it up play half the rare and half the popular oldskool tracks and see how it goes.

I would love that myself, but the vast majority of peeps, that attend those gigs, really aren't musically savvy, clued in, want to hear, or even care to educate themselves at all, with the lesser known tracks. When you have DJ's hoarding tunes, and fm radio stations over the years, playing the same tunes, on a weekly basis, over and over again, for they're "oldskool" shows, it's not a recipe for success anyway. The oldskool scene, will be shockingly bad, in a few years, due to the lack of music being shared, with younger DJ's, to keep it alive and well.

I haven't gone to any so I don't know personally if they are any good.. ive gotten mixed views on the oldskool gigs.. some saying it was **** and a rip off.. others saying it was brilliant.. judging form the videos if seen in the past and recent videos and the tunes that were played. those tunes would of done my head in and that's even if I was ou mi box. which my pill poppin snortin days are long gone

• Advertisement

well said es

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Have to disagree strongly with ya, you are displaying all the hallmarks of tune snobbery, i can still put myself back on the floor of Sides at 4 am & remeber when them tunes were fresh.......

Still gives me the same rush from the pit of my gut if i put myself back there with them tunes, this is another one, has been played to death alright but stop, put it on loud, close your eyes, put all thoughts out of your head & remember the heat, the feeling, the sound & the narcs surging to this,

NEVER gets old:)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Great cause peeps, I'll be playing the lesser heard classics....Shane Molloy

gig.jpg[/URL]

Have to disagree strongly with ya, you are displaying all the hallmarks of tune snobbery, i can still put myself back on the floor of Sides at 4 am & remeber when them tunes were fresh.......

Still gives me the same rush from the pit of my gut if i put myself back there with them tunes, this is another one, has been played to death alright but stop, put it on loud, close your eyes, put all thoughts out of your head & remember the heat, the feeling, the sound & the narcs surging to this,

NEVER gets old:)
    not snobbery at all... just sick to death hearing tunes like that.. as in tunes that have been played to death...

Have to disagree strongly with ya, you are displaying all the hallmarks of tune snobbery

Tune snobbery, in my opinion. Can be attributed, but not limited to, the likes of people, who have blinkers on to anything other than their favoured style of music. Be it Techno, House, Trance, Drum & Bass, Rock, Metal, Classical etc etc. I think in Mac's case, and mine too, as i don't like either of those tracks myself. It's just a case of, different folks different strokes. When i was younger (as with most people) i liked all those cheesy type tunes, Happy Hardcore included, to an extent. But when i listen back over those tracks now, i think to myself, "what the hell was i thinking, listening to that?!" I know nostalgia is great, but i definitely think, people are guilty of looking back on the past, with rose tinted glasses. There is a wealth of amazing tunes, that came out of the Dublin scene back then. But for me, i'm not in the same place musically, that i was 10 years ago, never mind 20 years ago. Peoples tastes change over time, and something that may have sounded excellent to you back then, can definitely sound like complete rubbish to you later on down the road. I think as well, people don't like to look back on certain moments in their lives, and think to themselves, "yeah, that wasn't as good as i thought it was". When i was going out weekly, to the Temple or where ever it was, i thought the music at the time was great. But in saying that, i can count on one hand now, the amount of tunes from that era, i still listen to, and regard as being good. So in my opinion, it's not tune snobbery, it's just that people grow and change, and things that were good at one point, become stale, boring, or even shít to them, at a later point in life. I still love my breakbeat stuff, 20 odd years later, but there are definitely tracks, from that era/genre, that i wouldn't give the time of day to now, and i don't listen to them. Wubble U, for me personally, along with that Bette Blue tune (i think that's the name of it, Jon Pleased Wemin. Correct me if i'm wrong with the name btw) are two of the worst tunes i've heard from that era, in Dublin's clubbing history. Not to say they're not good to other people, but they're deffo not something, i'd go out of my way to listen to. If other people like them fair play, far be it for me to judge anyones taste in music, but like i said, they aint my bag. And they're obviously not Mac's either.

aceberg wrote: »
    I think the problem alot of ppl have now with old skool gigs is the same tunes getting played.

There's plenty of other tunes tha could be played.Also alot of the rare tunes have been id'd aswell so why don't the DJ's play these instead of the same stuff that has be getting played at gigs and on radio statios etc.

Now thats my read on the suitation.Not that i have been to any of the gigs.:D
    Yeah I hear what you're saying but on the night it wasn't just the usual Sides /Asylum, etc classics there was a nice varied mix of all sorts the way it should be

EarlERizer wrote: »
    This Saturday @ Fibbers..... a real oldskool treat in store! :cool:

1175112_10151778829210589_539461818_n.jpg
    Wow looks superb , I might have to go to this

• Advertisement

Advertisement