Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

• 21-08-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont kow much about the new terminal to be honest but having been though the Airport recently its hard to see the need for an additional terminal at a time when the economy is going to be sluggish for several years.
    How will it effect the old terminal?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

The DAA couldn't have predicted the recession but it's still going to be a great asset when the bounce back comes. Give 2 or 3 years and the need for it will be clear again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Short term thinking is what got this country into the mess that we are currently in. The short term view would see the terminal as unnecessary but if we look at the medium to long term the population of Dublin and Ireland is going to grow and the extra capacity will be needed.

In the mean time, once the new terminal is ready, it might be a good idea to move some of the existing services there and take the opportunity to do any repairs or improvements which may be necessary to the existing terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well if we were to take this view then we would stop all major infrastructural building right now. Spending onj infrastructure almost always (WRC excluded) delivers a dividend many times the original investment..."build it and they will come".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

When is it due for completion?

i've come across a few references to the terminal saying it's due to be ready late 2009, also 1 mention of 2010. Realistically they probably will have elements of it ready for christmas but completion will probably be next year. Also came across a comment made in 2007 that stated that the passenger growth would leave both terminals running at full design capacity by 2011! Obviously recession '09 will bump this by a few years but i don't think that it going ahead could be seen as a mistake by the DAA.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see some pictures. Will it be for long haul flights or European flights, or both? Quite looking forward to seeing the finished product. I hope they do a great job. I was very impressed with the aesthetics of Barajas(sp?) airport at Madrid when I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Furet wrote: »
    I'd like to see some pictures. Will it be for long haul flights or European flights, or both? Quite looking forward to seeing the finished product. I hope they do a great job. I was very impressed with the aesthetics of Barajas(sp?) airport at Madrid when I was there.

It will be nice to see the finished project but this is one project now where there is no need to rush it. Let them take their time and get everything right before opening.

I am sure there was a thread with photos in Commuting & Transport forum though the photos would not be the most up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

It looks fine, but has to be managed properly. What we dont need is the crapheap that happened in Cork with the air bridges, which I might add still arent being used. Its ludicrous.

I was travelling from Munich to Cork recently and even the hotel had a direct elevator to the underground, which took me to the inside of the airport. After going onto the plane via the airbridge I flew to Cork.

The first time I was outside that day was when I got onto the tarmac of Cork airport in the pissing rain with a shiny new, unused airbridge sitting next to the plane. Absolute ****e and I hope the new T2 at Dublin doesnt suffer from such unspeakable stupidity.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

If you were in the airport this morning at 5am you would see the need for this terminal!! I know it was a peak time but it was crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's 20 airbridges but can they be used in pairs?
    if not then there's only 10 gates, less the amount of gates that were in section "C" so are there many more aircraft stands?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Look at the size of the small Aer Lingus airbuses on the far side of the new pier... looks like 20 of those could fit comfortably, but all of the aircraft actually parked at the air bridges are wide body - including 2 Air Canada 747s, 2 American Airlines jets, and look at the harp on the tail of the Aer Lingus jets :confused:

THE Herald can reveal that the final nuts and bolts will be tightened at Terminal 2 next year.
    The keys will be handed over to the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) in mid-March, before it is opened in November.
    As a result the DAA has this week moved to begin recruiting a management company to oversee everything from security to customer care and cleaning to airport shopping.
    As our pictures show, work on the country's biggest construction site is now peaking at an average of 90,000 workhours a week.
    "The work rate will be peaking very soon. We have around 1,800 people working directly on site along with off-site support such as architects," said a spokesperson.
    "We have five million man hours completed on the terminal itself and a 400-metre pier since work started in 2007."
    Workers have just five more months to complete the construction phase before the DAA move in to fit out the €395m complex that should making air travel from the capital a more enjoyable experience.
    screening
    The overall cost of the T2 project is €609m. It will have the capacity to process 15 million passengers a year with a peak hour constraint of 4,200.
    The latest step in the process is the acceptance of applications for a facilities manager who will be responsible for a significant proportion of key functions and staff.
    Documents seen by the Herald note that a company will be selected for this job by April 30, after a detailed short-listing process.
    The document says: "Specifically, it is anticipated that the scope of the contract will include the provision and coordination of security screening, maintenance, cleaning and passenger operations services within T2 and on the forecourt.
    "In managing this contract the facilities management contractor will take into consideration all of the normal risks of operating in an airport environment and will work with the DAA to ensure the overall smooth operation of the T2 terminal building and forecourt and, in accordance with the facilities management contract, will support DAA in its operation of Dublin Airport."
    The terminal will be served by its own arrivals and departures roads, and has a check-in hall and a departures hall connected by a bridge that forms the central spine of the building.
    It will have 58 check-in desks and ample provision for self-service and online check-in and bag, tag and drop positions.
    Aer Lingus is expected to be the main operator and all long-haul carriers will use T2. The terminal will also include a new facility -- one of only two in Europe -- that will allow passengers to clear US customs and immigration before departure."
    Hundreds of jobs will be created but the exact number will depend on passenger numbers.
    The airport has faced a fall-off in traffic this year as less people opt for international travel due to the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Link to article:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/first-look-inside-dublin-airports-new-terminal-1882779.html

It's good practice to post a link to any article you quote or paste whenever you can.

Cheers. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

For about a year now, they'd been saying it would be open in April 2010. This is really, really bad news. I have to put up with that cattle shed of a T1 for another 7 months. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

spacetweek wrote: »
    For about a year now, they'd been saying it would be open in April 2010. This is really, really bad news. I have to put up with that cattle shed of a T1 for another 7 months. :(
    I'd hardly take an article in The Herald as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

As far as I'm aware, the new terminal wasn't just to increase capacity for passengers...it was to attract new airlines etc. like Virgin which will contribute to the growth of the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

I hear they are planning mega shops there... yipeee...!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I'd hardly take an article in The Herald as gospel.
    True, but it says it on the DAA's T2 article aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

silverharp wrote: »
    I dont kow much about the new terminal to be honest but having been though the Airport recently its hard to see the need for an additional terminal at a time when the economy is going to be sluggish for several years.
    How will it effect the old terminal?
    Gatwick, an airport in West Sussex in the South East of the UK cost about GBP 310 million unadjusted for inflation and from Wikipedia
    Passenger numbers peaked in 2007 when the airport handled over 35 million passengers for the first time, however this total reduced by 2.9% in 2008 with 34,205,887 passengers using Gatwick and 263,653 aircraft movements recorded.

did we get value for money with T2?

Gatwick, an airport in West Sussex in the South East of the UK cost about GBP 310 million unadjusted for inflation and from Wikipedia
    did we get value for money with T2?
    Huh?

Are you going to tell us what it cost in *adjusted* pounds? Or else it's meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

spacetweek wrote: »
    Huh?

Are you going to tell us what it cost in *adjusted* pounds? Or else it's meaningless.
    Meaningless? its almost parity - ok, so add on 10%, does that really change everything for you!
    All I'm saying is that this cost seems a bit high for T2, anyone would think the same organization were involved in the construction of the terminal in Cork Airport!
    When we talk of white elephants - what we are asking is - does this project give value for money?
    How much did the terminal cost in Cork, and how many passengers does it cater for vis-a-vis Dublin T2?

Had forgotten about this project over the last while, thought i'd investigate.

*Suggest renaming this thread "Dublin Terminal 2"*

found this pic on www.itic.ie September 2009
    DUB-T2-0909-LS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Roryhy wrote: »
    *Suggest renaming this thread "Dublin Terminal 2"*

Easily done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭presotrader

just returned from our Christmas break. was it our time of arrival or Dublin Airport does not have anything close to the load we have seen over the boom years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Load will be lower for a while.
    I firmly believe that Baldonnel will have to be developed in the coming years. I dont think that using Dublin Airport on its own is a good long term solution.

• Advertisement

The new T2 terminal at Dublin Airport should be abandoned for the foreseeable future and a third €250m low-cost terminal built instead, Ryanair said last night.

But Dublin Airport Authority insisted that the new terminal would open in November and will cost well under €1bn.

The bitter dispute between the airline and the authority was reignited last night over the cost and future of the terminal.

In a scathing attack on the project, the airline said it would cost €1.2bn to complete instead of €200m and accused the aviation regulator of raising airport charges by 40pc to pay for it.

But the DAA hit back and accused Ryanair of telling lies. It said the whole T2 project, including an upgrade of the airport road network, would come in at around €609m.

The new terminal has long been a bone of contention for Ryanair, which has refused to have anything to do with the building since plans to build it were announced.

It believes a low-cost terminal should have been built instead which, it claims, would keep airport costs to a minimum.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary recently accused the DAA of making a "complete balls" of the project and said "we are asking tourists to pay for it".

Abandoned

And yesterday Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said they wouldn't even take on the T2 terminal if it was given to them for free because it would cost €200m to operate every year. He said the project should be abandoned and a third terminal should be built at a cost of €250m.

But a DAA spokesman said T2, which is due to open in November, had been built with an eye on Ireland's long-term future. "T2 is being constructed for generations to come and if Ryanair had its way, passengers would be flying from a cattle shed," he said.

He said every transatlantic carrier operating out of Dublin airport was confirmed to move its operations to T2.

Ireland's tourism industry has been decimated since the onset of the recession and that has had a significant impact on footfall at Dublin Airport.

A report by travel consultants RDC Aviation found that around 160,000 fewer travellers came through Dublin Airport in December 2009 compared to the same period last year.

In a new advertisement, in which T2 is portrayed as a giant turkey, Ryanair claims that traffic at the airport is down 15pc this year. The DAA conceded that passenger numbers were in decline but they said Ryanair was exaggerating the figure.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/airport-terminal-row-takes-off-after-ryanair-attack-1991594.html

Advertisement