Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Does gunnars hold still have a high pop?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thats where my chars are when i quit playing and last i logged in the place was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im on desolation and theres constantly other players around me no matter what zone im in. downed some flying dragon boss last night and there must have been 60 or 70 users there..

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I'm on Gunnars Hold and last I played (for the Wintersday dungeons), it seemed fairly active, in that there were lots of people taking part in those activities. For checking server population, I'm pretty sure that if you're on the character select screen, you can click on the servers button and it'll list the population of all servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

That's good to know about the transfers. I'm also on Gunnar's Hold and haven't played in ages. At this time of the evening it has a medium population, as compared to high, very high or full. Time to move. Just a matter of where?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I moved to desolation,very high pop,only problem is I can't get off the bloody overflow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Anyone here on Anvil rock?! Didn't know about the pay for transfer deadline!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So I gave up on GW2 around Haloween and came back to it last night for a while. Seems there's a few things that have been added since then... anything important I should know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chuey

Welcome back to GW2 Dave. What server are you on?

No major changes, just a lot of little things depending on what you did.

If you did Fractals, you can now join any level and if it's higher than your personal level you will advance one level on completion.
    (IE, you're L3 and joing with a group running a L12. On completion you become L4. You don't advance from doing a Fractal lower than your personal level)
    Also have a look at daily fractal rewards, ascended items and agony resitance.

If you WvW'd, they've removed Orbs of power and are working to improve culling (large numbers of enemy players not loading on your screen)

There are also new daily rewards called Laurels, take a look for the vendor on your map (it's a green wreath). Daily completion gives 1, monthly completion gives 10.

Look here for most recent major patch notes:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-01-28

There are other updates coming for end of Feb, look here:
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1023-interview-with-colinsome-new-details-on-feb-update/

Chuey wrote: »

No major changes, just a lot of little things depending on what you did.

If you did Fractals, you can now join any level and if it's higher than your personal level you will advance one level on completion.
    (IE, you're L3 and joing with a group running a L12. On completion you become L4. You don't advance from doing a Fractal lower than your personal level)
    Also have a look at daily fractal rewards, ascended items and agony resitance.

If you WvW'd, they've removed Orbs of power and are working to improve culling (large numbers of enemy players not loading on your screen)

There are also new daily rewards called Laurels, take a look for the vendor on your map (it's a green wreath). Daily completion gives 1, monthly completion gives 10.

Look here for most recent major patch notes:
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-01-28

There are other updates coming for end of Feb, look here:
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1023-interview-with-colinsome-new-details-on-feb-update/

How do you get into fractuals?is there a matchmaking system to put you in suitable groups?

• Advertisement

If you did Fractals[/url]

Thanks. I'm on Desolation, I believe.

I never did any of the Fractals before now. Might give them a go, they're for decent weapons and armour right?

How do you get into fractuals?is there a matchmaking system to put you in suitable groups?

The entrance to fractals is a portal in southern Lions Arch. Look on the map and you'll see the symbol of a dungeon door.

There is no matchmaking system in game, other than using local chat, or being in a guild of with others that run them of course.

There is a player built LFG website that is very useful, most agree it attracts a higher standard of PuG:

http://www.gw2lfg.com/

Thanks. I'm on Desolation, I believe.

I never did any of the Fractals before now. Might give them a go, they're for decent weapons and armour right?

If you're in Desolation consider joining Dark Reavers (if you havent already). We're a multi purpose (PVE, PVP, WVW) guild with a growing number of Eire folk:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056717756

The best Armour and Weapons (Exotic) in game at the moment can be got from Temple Karma Vendors in Orr, High level Crafting, WvW Tokens and Dungeon Tokens.

Fractals have introduced a new Tier above Exotic called Ascended, but so far only Rings (available randomly from L10+ fractals) and Backpieces (using bought using Fractal tokens or crafted) are available. A recent patch introduced Ascended Amulets which can be purchased using Laurels (as I mentioned in my earlier post).

Here's a fantastic link on gearing at L80

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/03/gw2-endgame-gearing-guide/

Most people skip Rare gear and go straight to Exotic as they're relatively easy to get.

If you're in Desolation consider joining Dark Reavers (if you havent already). We're a multi purpose (PVE, PVP, WVW) guild with a growing number of Eire folk:

Seems very serious from the website (example, having to tell an officer if you're going to be offline for 7 days or more). I'll have a think about it though.

Seems very serious from the website (example, having to tell an officer if you're going to be offline for 7 days or more). I'll have a think about it though.

Might seem a bit overly serious, but having started out as a smaller but tight knit guild it may have been more valid then. We've just undergone a big recruitment drive so some of these rules are perhaps not as strictly enforced.

That one for example, the guild leader likes to keep things trim and removes people who've gone inactive (usually over a month without saying anything). There's a post on our forum for absences so just noting in there if you're planning to be away for an extended period is all that's asked.

We very much understand RL comes first, no-one and nothing is required or demanded with the exception of respect for others. If you have any questions though send Omphin or Saviour_Angel from that post a PM they'll be happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

As Cheuy mentioned PM's, Mails, etc are the best form of communication.

With regards to the notice if your AFK, you can almost ignore that as its not upheld exactly...
    Only those that have been AFK for 1 month ++ might be trimmed from the guild roster, who have not informed anyone...
    Even if you are trimmed and come back, just shout out and we can re-invite you...

"The only thing that I ask from people is please play nice and respect others... regardless if your in DKR or not..."

That's fair enough really. Got application accepted. Just a question of finding someone online who's able to add me.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

I'm usually on in the evenings after 6.30,
    All my Chars start with my first name so just seach "Saviour".
    Saviour - (Main) Ele
    Saviour Spectre - Thief
    Saviour Angel - Gaurdian
    Saviour Rage - Warrior

There are many others who can invite also,
    Damo,
    Poison...

If you know anyone in DkR they can give you a list of all officers currently online, and you can then whisper them and get an instant invite.

So what do people think of the living storyline updates? I only played the first part of it the day before the update was released. I had to say initially I was underwhelmed, because it didn't seem like anything major. But I think I get what the GW team are doing now, adding in small amounts to build up a major story (something I copped when I saw
    Dredge
    working with
    Fire legion Charr
    , that's not going to lead to anything good, especially as
    the Consortium, the lads behind the lost shores debacle,
    are the ones offering to relocate them), and more importantly, it's making people go back to areas they may have ignored since completing, which is breathing new life into them.
    That's before mentioning all the other recent updates, and the new WvW updates coming soon. It's amazing the amount of work the team have put in to keep these updates coming. Still thoroughly enjoying the game, although lots of people from here have moved from Gunnars Hold unfortunately. (It's also only minor spoilers in the posts above)

anyone still playing?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

anyone still playing?

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Quandary

Yep, created a new warrior only last week!

New content at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Game is shockingly active(Its F2P and not even 7months old yes)but MMOs tend to die out fast these days Population wise. The low-level areas are still brimming with people, and still Qs for WvW and countless people doing Fract runs and overflows still in areas etc..

The only thing that you will find it hard to do is content that most people have done or are bored of, like some of the Story or Explorable modes in few of the runs due to the rewards not being that good or everyone whored it months ago.

Yep, when I find time, I still play. Made a thief at the weekend, stealthing is insane!!
    I like the thing about daily achievements though, makes lower level areas active again! And I'm having to fight very hard to not get sucked into doing them every day to build up laurels.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

I'm holding back buying this game until I get a laptop.. I have a High-End PC though.. what do you people think I should use?? a decent laptop or a high-end PC with 5.1 surround sound? I usually leave my PC for fast paced games like Battlefield and left 4 dead.

RaZzZz wrote: »
    I'm holding back buying this game until I get a laptop.. I have a High-End PC though.. what do you people think I should use?? a decent laptop or a high-end PC with 5.1 surround sound? I usually leave my PC for fast paced games like Battlefield and left 4 dead.

I'm not really sure if I'm reading that correctly, but generally better system = better gameplay. The game is still fairly heavy on CPU over GPU as far as I'm aware, and can get laggy in areas with a lot of human players if your system isn't up to scratch.
    Why wait though? If you say you have a high-end pc, why would waiting to play it on only a "decent" laptop be better? Also, it's an online game, so you could always play it on both :D

Ah ya see me girlfriend wants to play with me, and she really doesn't want to be left behind if I buy it before her, so I was thinking it'd be handy for us both to be seated next to each other on a Laptop that'd be capable of Medium-High settings, perhaps I'm a fool ;) but ya gotta keep the missus happy sometimes I suppose ;p
    The game does appear pretty, playing it on my PC would definitely be a nicer experience, but what do I do.. keep the missus happy.. or go mad and play with alongside my brother.. another thing is comfort.. would a laptop be more comfortable to use.. or the PC.. why am I even posting this ;S

RaZzZz wrote: »
    Ah ya see me girlfriend wants to play with me, and she really doesn't want to be left behind if I buy it before her, so I was thinking it'd be handy for us both to be seated next to each other on a Laptop that'd be capable of Medium-High settings, perhaps I'm a fool ;) but ya gotta keep the missus happy sometimes I suppose ;p
    The game does appear pretty, playing it on my PC would definitely be a nicer experience, but what do I do.. keep the missus happy.. or go mad and play with alongside my brother.. another thing is comfort.. would a laptop be more comfortable to use.. or the PC.. why am I even posting this ;S

Well I play on a laptop with 4GB Ram, a Mobility Radeon HD 5000 GPU with 512mb of dedicated memory, and a 2.2Ghz AMD dual core, and to get a smooth game I need to turn all my settings down to low, and it still gets quite choppy in areas with lots of players, so I can't really play WvW (although there is a patch coming on the 26th that may help with that). As I said above the main limit on my system is the CPU, and that's what Guild Wars 2 relies on most, according to their blog posts. Many of my friends play on laptops with better specs than mine and have no problem. So it would be playable on a laptop, but obviously performance will depend on specs!
    As for comfort..well to each their own!

• Advertisement

Each to their own indeed, I'm sure this game doesn't require a huge amount of concentration?? therefore I think sitting on the couch with the TV on while playing this game could be a bit more comfortable and enjoyable, I checked benchmarks out for the laptop I've been keeping an eye on and it looks smooth on Medium settings with one or two on High settings, I think this'll do the job just fine :)

Does anyone play this game using surround sound btw? for an open world type of game I'd always expect beautiful surround sound effects, so if anyone has any opinions please share :)

Advertisement