Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio, Ray Darcy thread.

• 12-11-2015 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭

Hi. I received an infraction last Friday morning on the above thread which I would like somebody to have a look at.
    I did pm the mod (bbability) almost immediately with my explanation but s/he hasn't got back to me yet.

Basically a (I think regular) poster started off their post with 'Hmm...' which I quoted in my response where I said something to the effect of "that makes me think you must be Ray" (I'm on Touch so I'm half working from memory and I think my post has been removed).

Now my defence: Yes I did say the 'you must be Ray' bit, but it was said in a totally different context to the one that isn't allowed.

I said it in jest, as much of the Darcy show consists of Ray 'Hmm..ing and Haa..ing' and various other sounds and confusions that have been much documented in the above thread.

There was absolutely no intention of attacking the poster. I think somebody just happened to see my post out of context (I know the words look like I was arguing with the op) and reported me, but as I say that was definitely not my intention.

Anyways, I've been on Boards over five years without a blemish so it doesn't feel right that I've been infracted for a totally innocent comment. I can't forward the pm I sent to the mod 'cos I'm on mobile but it's basically the same defence as here.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Can you send me a copy of the PM sent to bbability?

EDIT : Sorry - missed the bit where you cannot forward.

Can you paraphrase what you said, if it was any different to the post above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have been looking into this.

There are Mod Warnings in the thread. These are noted in the title of the thread.
    Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1,1263,1610**

In the first post part of the warning is;
    There will be zero tolerance in relation to the following:
    1. As per Nody's earlier warning, no one is to suggest that another poster is in any way associated with Ray D'Arcy or the show - this will be a one month ban for first offence, and more severe bans subsequently (there aren't many more before it's permanent)

I did look at the post you made, which has been deleted. I realise it was intended as a frivolous comment and that you did not really think that the poster you quoted was Ray D'arcy. I am assuming that bbability also came to the same conclusion as, despite the clear Mod Warning, he did not impose the stated one month ban. Discretion was exercised and only an infraction was applied.

I know that you were not attacking the poster and intended it to be a lighthearted comment, but when a warning has been issued it has to be upheld. If not then a thread can become chaotic and things escalate. When a Mod then steps in then the defense is often "others were doing it and they were not punished, why me?"

It may be the case that you did not read the Mod Warning, however ignorance is not a defense. I am sorry this has ruined your clean slate but I am afraid I have to uphold the decision.

You can accept this decision or request a review by Admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Fair enough..ish I suppose. But it is a bit difficult to convey slagging via mobile. I did know about the charter and the warning but I presumed that the regulars on the thread (including the poster) would know I wasn't being serious. I didn't really think about the lurkers tbh. If I worded it anyway different it probably wouldn't even have been noticed.
    Would ye mind bumping it up to the Admins just for a look?
    Thanks again.

OK - Will do.

It is always a problem where text on a screen can be very different that personal interactions. It lack the body language and inflections of the spoken word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

I've read the thread in question, and the post in question.

If there was a ban involved, it would seem quite harsh ... even the infraction is a little harsh, but I understand it is in the context of the forum.

The infraction is not visible to anyone on your profile ... other than mods, so I'm not sure what can be done about that part of it.

Leave it with me for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Sorry for the delay - I was AFK all weekend.

The infraction has expired and is no longer visible, so any action taken now would have no substance.

Moving on ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement