Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biting your fingernails, what's a gentleman to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Yep, lifelong nail biter here too. Tried everything, the varnishes, chewing gum, falsies, was able to stop for a month and got to be able to paint them and everything. However my problem comes down to the nail itself being weak and so when they break I am just tempted to even them out and it's a slippery slope from there.

It's a constant source of shame for me, can't stand people looking at my nails and am aware of how unattractive it is. So I'm going to have another go and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

Posted something along these lines on PI somewhere but can't find it since it's non-searchable :mad:

1. You need to break the habit firstly and most importantly by noticing when you are doing it. The problem is that this habit kicks in subconsciously most of the time. So if you manage to notice what you are doing in exactly the moment you are about to do it, you've already gone half the way. That stuff you can get in the pharmacy may help, concentration and general awareness may be sufficient too.

2. Establish a system of punishments. I did it with a plate of coins -- whenever I realised I had bitten my nails one coin went from the plate into a glass jar. Commit to donating the money to a good cause. Be honest with yourself.

... (I think there was a #3, there should be else this would not be an awesome list but I can't remember it now. Ah well.)

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Glad I found this thread!

I'm 22 and have been biting my nails since I was a kid. I was pretty bad for it, and as a result the tops of my fingers are really fleshy because my nail has been bitten back too far. My friends say I've got suckerpads!

So last Saturday I decided enough was enough, I bought some of the StopnGrow stuff and I haven't bitten my nails since then.

It's hard enough, I still find I'm looking at my fingers all the time trying to find something to bite!

Does anyone know if my finger nails will eventually recover to what a non-biter's look like? Or will I be stuck with my fleshy suckerpads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Glad I found this thread!

I'm 22 and have been biting my nails since I was a kid. I was pretty bad for it, and as a result the tops of my fingers are really fleshy because my nail has been bitten back too far. My friends say I've got suckerpads!

So last Saturday I decided enough was enough, I bought some of the StopnGrow stuff and I haven't bitten my nails since then.

It's hard enough, I still find I'm looking at my fingers all the time trying to find something to bite!

Does anyone know if my finger nails will eventually recover to what a non-biter's look like? Or will I be stuck with my fleshy suckerpads?

Pretty much exactly what i did.I use to bite the nails, and the skin around them! Stopped about two years ago. I basically just decided I was stopping and that was it ! At first I found it a good idea to keep cutting them quite short with nail scissors until I got use to them. They look grand now. I defo found that manky stuff you paint on that tastes like gone off knickers a great help at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Thanks a lot man, you're right I should keep my nails short for the first while until the habit is properly kicked.

I've tried a couple of times before to give up, but I think it's important to really want to stop. That is the difference for me this time. The foul tasting stuff isn't enough to stop someone who wants to bite their nails from doing it. I try to use it to remind myself that i've just put my nail in my mouth, then I try to distract myself by doing something else.

It's worked for 1 week so far anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement