Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New SI released, changes to licencing upcoming.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

So, you think (on first review) I could go and apply for - with some level of expectencey, a PPK in .22lr?

Of course my other problem is that I already have a licence for Hammerli...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dc99 wrote: »
    So, you think (on first review) I could go and apply for - with some level of expectencey, a PPK in .22lr?

Levels of expectancy are a dangerous concept :)
    But legally, there is no longer any difference in standing between an application for a PPK in .22lr and a Ruger MkII in .22lr. They both satisfy the SI equally, and that's now been made explicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

dc99 wrote: »

I only had a Walther PP (the .22 version) in my hands last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Should be a few of them knocking about on the intl market as they were issued up in the North a PDW to the "Green Finches".Only .22lr pistol to have a STANAG number because of it becoming then an issue firearm to the UK armed forces.

Speaking of which...this legislation would of course come out now in this form and I finally tracked down in Germany a Ruger mini14 GB that was a former RUC rifle..For handy enough money too....:mad: FECKIN typical!!!:mad::(

LATER
    Y'know it is remarkeably silent on one thing I thought the would have pushed thru no matter what...GUNSAFES for all firearms,including our agricultural brethern or despite them needing inst access to them at any iven moment of the day or night.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    d I finally tracked down in Germany a Ruger mini14 GB that was a former RUC rifle..For handy enough money too....:mad: FECKIN typical!!!:mad::(

Where abouts was that? :pac:

• Advertisement

Y'know it is remarkeably silent on one thing I thought the would have pushed thru no matter what...GUNSAFES for all firearms,including our agricultural brethern or despite them needing inst access to them at any iven moment of the day or night.

As quiet as the original proposals really.
    If, however, those proposals and the gunsafes weren't on the first page of the FCP's new agenda, I'd be surprised.

But then, the FCP was always the right place for stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Sparks wrote: »
    As quiet as the original proposals really.
    If, however, those proposals and the gunsafes weren't on the first page of the FCP's new agenda, I'd be surprised.

But then, the FCP was always the right place for stuff like that.

Lunacy that they dont have but proof to me on 1 of 2 things:

(i) that AGS werent really as serious about public safety as they made out

(ii) it was their intention to divide shooting factions and over time made owning a firearm more and more restrictive until few licences existed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ah lads, you don't expect Minister for Cows&Guns Coveney to have the biggest glad-handing exercise in his whole year spoiled by an announcement about compulsory gun safes, do you?
    Wait till after the Ploughing is over, and he gets to highlight some new EEC scheme, then he might let it be announced when the first trance of SFP money comes out.

It's not as if a farmer with a shotgun and a rifle is exempt from having a safe. Any farmer i know with more than one gun has a safe installed. The Gardai round here insist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

The farming community are far too well organised, to risk upsetting in the run up to an election...

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

So this new SI now makes revolvers restricted thereby banning one of the of most benign forms of pistol shooting after air powered units.
    How easy would it have been to add a clause to the new SI stating that for the purposes of the subsection a magazine will also mean a cylinder.

Simple stuff really. If anything this exclusion serves to demonstrate any technical input to the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

No mention of semi auto shotguns that I can see are they back in the clear?

pm. wrote: »
    No mention of semi auto shotguns that I can see are they back in the clear?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

I've been holding off on buying a .22 pistol until some clarity emerged. I'm sure that there are others like me.

Will our new applications be portrayed as a "surge" in pistol ownership and used as grounds to trigger this proviso in the announcement?

"The Minister intends to monitor the number of 0.22 inch rim fire calibre
    handguns being licensed. In line with her commitment to prevent any
    proliferation of handgun availability in Ireland, the Minister today
    announced that if there is a significant increase in the number of
    applications for new certificates or import licence applications for these
    handguns then she will introduce priority legislation for a future cap."

Will our new applications be portrayed as a "surge" in pistol ownership and used as grounds to trigger this proviso in the announcement?
    Nobody knows, but that's the reason why we want the FCP restarted. Minister comes to table, asks "Is this 23 new licences a spike?" and someone who actually knows the facts says "er, no. There were less than a thousand licences. If we see 500 more in the first year, you could call it a spike, but you'd want to watch it for longer than the first six months to make sure you're not catching genuine shooters who were waiting on clarification in the licencing".

As opposed to now, when she effectively would ask Garda Ballistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Irish Examiner;
    Fitzgerald also said she would monitor the number of
    0.22 inch rim-fire calibre handguns....
    This model of handgun is relatively low-powered and
    intended mainly for pest control...

Someone must have been on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Strider wrote: »
    Irish Examiner;

Someone must have been on Wikipedia.

Grand picture of an AK there too:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/new-rules-to-restrict-firearm-ownership-354740.html

Edited to add:
    Here it is in case they take it down, notice the filename :rolleyes:
    362974.jpg

/sigh

*ha* And the comments are disabled right off the bat too :D

From their Face book page

The NASRPC acknowledge that the Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald TD, was the first Minister for Justice to engage with the shooting community, visit a range and initiate a Joint Justice Committee review. This fair and reasonable approach was welcomed and was in stark contrast to the approach adopted by others in the past.
    That said, while the NASRPC appreciate the value of the one point clarified by today’s SI and the positive intent behind the Ministers roadmap for change we are disappointed that the opportunity was not taken to increase 0.22lr short firearm magazine capacities to six rounds, as requested, and that the opportunity was not taken to remove the many other reasons used to prevent the issue of new licenses or the renewal of existing licenses to legitimate shooting sports participants.
    Furthermore, the Ministers roadmap has to survive a general election and potentially a new Minister.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Such a pity about the cap on the CF S/A's, M1 Carbine gallery rifle was only starting to take off.

• Advertisement

From their Face book page
    Oh for ****s sakes.

The phrase "shut up and get to work to improve things and safeguard things instead of slagging off the first breath of a chance to improve things that we've gotten in the last decade" comes to mind.

Strider wrote: »
    Such a pity about the cap on the CF S/A's, M1 Carbine gallery rifle was only starting to take off.

This part isnt over by a long shot[excuse the pun] or this possible temp cap on .22 pistols.Reason...There are now a good few gun dealers sitting on stocks of SA CF rifles either in their shops or in whole saler depots on the Continent.Specifically ww2 vintage clasics like the M1 garand and M1 carbine.They are not as cheap as chips on the Continent as they used to be,it is a significant tie up of some dealers finances storing them in whole salers.So what are they going to do with them?Sell them at a loss back in the Continent?You cant sell them to the Uk or NI due to the SA ban.The US wont allow import of them.You can thank O'Bama for that,with him refusing to allow surplus Koren war vintage Garands to be re imported to the US from Korea.Others are sitting here in dealerships in the same prediciment because of people not wanting to fight the court cases and selling them to dealers in trade ins.
    There was recomendations in the interim report that CF SA of 1950s vintage should be excluded for this very reason,and this could still be on the cards,IF we get the FCP up and running and/or the dealers make enough noise about this too.

Oh for ****s sakes.

The phrase "shut up and get to work to improve things and safeguard things instead of slagging off the first breath of a chance to improve things that we've gotten in the last decade" comes to mind.

Unfortuneatly,I have to agree with you on this one..5 shot mags or 6 shot cylinders...FS try NO handguns at all!We could have lost a heck of alot more yesterday and have been kerb stomped with legislation that woud have affected us ALL very badly.

However ,this isnt over at all.It will Behoove us ALL to play this carefully with the .22 applications.And TBH this is one thing our organisations had better get in gear in and ask the PTB for some figures as to what thy would consider a "alarming spike" in applications.It just might come to the point that we will have to self police this and simply say that each club can only accept a quota of new handgun only applications a year per club.We are still in a lifeboat people and we might have to ration our water[applications] for the benefit of the sport surviving overall.Lets for once LEARN from our mistakes with the CF handguns.There was a mass application that scared the bejasus out of the PTB and well the rest is history...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Check out the very last sentence of the press release. It refers to the effect of court cases on the new arrangements. Yesterdays announcement could be taken as the Minister offering a conditional ceasefire, are court cases taken by individuals going to be considered a hostile act by the shooting community generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Actually I would fear a centralized firearms appeal process unless it could be challenged legally.

The courts have generally been favorable to our appeals , I would fear the makeup of such a body could be managed in such a way that all appeals could be refused.

It will be interesting to see the makeup of such a body.

That's a risk (like we've said before) but the courts option is still available (and can't be taken away, that's far more fundamental than the Firearms Act).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is it not meant to be pre-DC arbitration? IOW go through this process before going to court, and if that fails court is still a legal option? Of course you can still skip this stage and go straight to court.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

“The Minister for Justice & Equality, France Fitzgerald TD, published last Friday, September the 18th, a new S.I. governing the licensing of target handguns together with announcing planned new arrangements for the administration of the firearms licensing system, and we now publish those arrangements on the Sports Coalition Website. These announcements come in response to the report and recommendations of the joint review carried out by the Department of Justice and An Garda Siochana this time last year and the response and campaign to that report by the Sports Coalition. Of significance is the fact that all of the arrangements which the Minister has announced were sought by the Sports Coalition. Suffice to say that all firearms currently licensed are safe and there are no proposals to ban anything. Of particular significance for game shooting people is the fact that the proposal to ban certain semi-automatic shotguns is dropped as are the proposals to give An Garda Siochana new powers to refuse firearms licence applications for any firearm.

I wish to express my sincere gratitude to my colleagues in the Sports Coalition for their support and work over the past year. I also wish to thank the many thousands of individual shooting people who contributed actively to our campaign by lobbying their local public representatives. My appreciation also goes to those members of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice & Equality and particularly its Chairman, David Stanton T.D., for their measured consideration and contributions to resolving what had become a difficult and complicated issue. I also wish to acknowledge the positive and pragmatic approach adopted by Minister Fitzgerald in arriving at her decision. Her planned proposals will in time make a very positive contribution to removing the acromonious and adverserial approach which has categorised firearms licensing in this Country over the past ten years while at the same time taking full account of public safety concerns. It therefore goes without saying that the Sports Coalition welcomes and fully endorses the Ministers announcement. Lastly, I wish to pay tribute to William Egan, Solicitor, who has been a fearless defender of shooting sports for the past twenty years His achievements are unrivalled anywhere in this area. He has provided free legal advice to the Sports Coalition since it was formed which has proved invaluable in our campaign. There are other individuals who are deserving of our gratitude and suffice to say I will be communicating that to those people personally.

Desmond Crofton
    National Director – NARGC
    &
    Spokesperson for the Sports Coalition

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

That's a risk (like we've said before) but the courts option is still available (and can't be taken away, that's far more fundamental than the Firearms Act).
    Just to clarify; The district court appeal option could theoretically/conceivably be taken away although I doubt that'll ever happen but judicial review (in the high court) will always remain.

• Advertisement

Would mean having to revamp,yet again the 08/09 act to remove the DC appeal?

Advertisement