Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Has anyone used booking.com for hotels? Good/bad experiences?

I've used them, they're grand, no complaints whatsoever. In fact, my sister double-booked a room with them before and she was convinced they'd just go "Pre-pay rate, no cancellations, sorry" but they were perfectly happy to cancel the second booking and refund her the money.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Yeah they're grand. Just watch the cancellation date policy though. We're heading to the Munster game end of this month and used booking.com. Despite it being three weeks away we would have had to cancel last week to avoid being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

That sounds delicious.

Would you use fresh raspberries or frozen? I'm guessing fresh, as they are far, far nicer than frozen.

Fresh :) I've never tried it with frozen, might be a cheaper alternative though!

I only used 6ish raspberries with a big scoop of the ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yep I've used it a good few times, no bad issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

10 days off chocolate without slipping up. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm not that good really Fishie. I was only doing scones and buns and stuff but I was really liking it. I had myself convinced I couldn't cook. :o I just finished knitting a scarf for my bf's dad. I have a heap of double knit wool to use up so I'm trying to decide what to do with it at the moment. Wanted to do a jumper or something cool I could wear but can't find a pattern for straight needles. Haven't ventured to circular ones yet.

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'm not that good really Fishie. I was only doing scones and buns and stuff but I was really liking it. I had myself convinced I couldn't cook. :o

Absolutely anybody can bake or cook as long as they follow recipes and learn from mistakes. Many, many people try baking or cooking, but mess with the quantities, change ingredients, use wrong temps or oven settings and then say "Ah it didn't work, I'm sh*te at this", but they fundamentally messed up before they ever gave it a chance! See it on CDWM all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Wibbs wrote: »
    I got cheesed off with similar K, so now I just switch mine off at night. I was surprised how freaked out I was at first. It's amazing how attached to mobies we are(and I didn't have one until quite late in the game). However I was more amazed how bloody liberating switching one off at night is. Of course if you need to be contactable at all times for family emergencies, work etc they're a boon, but they're just as much a millstone around our necks too at times.

My phone is always switched off at night, but then we have a house phone so I guess it's different. I really, really hate being woken up...

All this talk of passports reminds me to renew mine. I got it when I was 18 in order to move to Spain for the summer with friends! I'd recommend anyone to do it, moving out combined with experiencing another culture was great for me especially at that age. 10 years on and I feel antsy about not having a valid passport, even though I have no trips planned!

Today didn't get off to a great start, I woke up with such bad hayfever that I was basically incapacitated by sneezing. Anyone who thinks sneezing is fun needs to spend a day with my sinuses :mad: I think I may need to get some sort of prescription antihistamines as this is actually ridiculous.

I'm getting to try on that wedding dress I was looking at tonight so I've got that to look forward to! It may not even be nice but it'll be the first I've tried on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I think all the blood donation rules are actually meant to be informative in a way, even though they're very strict. If you go along to a clinic having gotten a new tattoo two weeks ago (for example), but didn't know you had to wait until 4 months after getting the tattoo to donate, you'll find out when you're doing the questionnaire, and they won't waste a bed and equipment on taking blood that can't be used.

My parent's can't donate as my Mum only moved here in 1990 from England and my Dad worked in the UK until then as well. But they'd be allowed to donate in England no bother. The IBTS is just very strict given the hepatitis scandal back in the 90s (?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Thanks everyone.

Just booked a hotel there and I would normally just use the hotel's website but it was 1000e cheaper on bookings than it was on the website. A whole grand!!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

Just booked a hotel there and I would normally just use the hotel's website but it was 1000e cheaper on bookings than it was on the website. A whole grand!!

My God!! Very fancy hotel or very long stay?

Hotel in NYC.

I'm actually gobsmacked at the price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thanks everyone.

You can buy us all a drink with the money you saved, so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

it was 1000e cheaper on bookings than it was on the website. A whole grand!!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

kate.m wrote: »
    Fresh :) I've never tried it with frozen, might be a cheaper alternative though!

I only used 6ish raspberries with a big scoop of the ice cream.
    Cheers, I've used frozen raspberries (well, defrosted raspberries) before for baking and they were rank, fresh all the way. The frozen/defrosted ones were so watery and tasted like those Yop drinks, vile.
    Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'm not that good really Fishie. I was only doing scones and buns and stuff but I was really liking it. I had myself convinced I couldn't cook. :o
    Acoshla wrote: »
    Absolutely anybody can bake or cook as long as they follow recipes and learn from mistakes. Many, many people try baking or cooking, but mess with the quantities, change ingredients, use wrong temps or oven settings and then say "Ah it didn't work, I'm sh*te at this", but they fundamentally messed up before they ever gave it a chance! See it on CDWM all the time.
    Persevere Jane.

I too, thought I couldn't cook or bake, was convinced I was utterly useless at it, but I persevered at it and I've improved a lot.

As Acoshla said, don't mess with quantities, ingredients etc, follow the recipe and you should be OK.
    Thanks everyone.

Will you use that €1k to bring me with you? Please and thank you.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

All good experiences - booked a non-refundable room for the wrong date once, rang them and there was no issue in sorting it out! Booked nearly all my hotels through them tbh!

Trying to study for a test - not going well at all! Turns out I've qualified for a competition in Dublin on Wednesday - not sure about going up though, means travel, plus taking the day off work, and missing two matches. Gonna have to think about it!

I would bring everyone with me if I could :)

Unfortunatly I was booking for someone else though and I expect a big ass present for saving them so much money OR I'll get a 'how come you never tried there before? you've cost me a bomb in the past'

Posy, wanna finish my assignment for me and hand it in to my college in Dublin for me? :)

kthanxbai

Told you you'd regret it :p

Cheers, I've used frozen raspberries (well, defrosted raspberries) before for baking and they were rank, fresh all the way. The frozen/defrosted ones were so watery and tasted like those Yop drinks, vile.

If you're using frozen raspberries use them when they're frozen and they're perfect, I use them in cupcakes and summer fruit cakes all the time. If you let them thaw they get destroyed by the thawing process because like strawberries they have a very high water content and the contracting/expanding destroys the cells in them. Just fire the frozen ones (solid or broken up) into mixes just before baking. They're easier to use broken up then cutting fresh ones would ever be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Acoshla wrote: »
    If you're using frozen raspberries use them when they're frozen and they're perfect, I use them in cupcakes and summer fruit cakes all the time. If you let them thaw they get destroyed by the thawing process because like strawberries they have a very high water content and the contracting/expanding destroys the cells in them. Just fire the frozen ones (solid or broken up) into mixes just before baking. They're easier to use broken up then cutting fresh ones would ever be.
    Thanks for this Acoshla, will try it sometime, the recipe I used (can't remember what one it was, it was for buns anyway) said to let the raspberries defrost before putting them through the mixture.

• Advertisement

Just did the penguin bar and tea trick there. Forgot how good it was. Mmmm.

EmilyO wrote: »
    Posy, wanna finish my assignment for me and hand it in to my college in Dublin for me? :)

kthanxbai

[SIZE="1"]Told you you'd regret it :p[/SIZE]
    What's the assignment on? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm thrilled that my weight loss still seems to be on-track ;)

I did over-indulge a little last weekend and had a really awesome chocolate cheesecake, and a quite excellent banoffi pie the night before... (I had a lot to celebrate!) which is especially bad because I've been avoiding dairy. but yay, I'm still going good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Hey Posy wanna write an essay for me too? :p

Am I the only one here who hates cheesecake? I think it's vile.

Posy wrote: »
    What's the assignment on? :D

Nervous Shock! It's...eh....easy! :rolleyes:

#rollontomorrowevening

Hey Posy wanna write an essay for me too? :p

Am I the only one here who hates cheesecake? I think it's vile.

I'm not a big fan either, although Bailey's Cheesecake is nice. As a rule, if it's not mozzarella on a pizza or cheddar in a toastie, I probably won't eat it.

Most cheesecake is pretty nasty, as is fruit cake. The one thing that annoys me about most Irish weddings/at Christmas time, is that the majority of the cakes you get are fruit cakes.

Boo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hotel in NYC.

I'm actually gobsmacked at the price difference.

what hotel you staying in?we booked the edison in time square,I must check that website out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement