Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steam Sale (Christmas, 2014 Edition)

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I made about 12 euro selling that junk :)

I did that in the last sale. Had all these cards built up that I had never paid any mind to. Sold them all and made the guts of 20 euro, which bought me a few games on sale. :D

I'm just leaving them build up again now so I get more free games later. People are strange creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

damn, no sale any more, but Recettear is on sale... tempting! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Almost made it through without a purchase but at the last minute gave in and Bought Starpoint Gemini 2. Seems interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really should just sell the cards as soon as I get them before they drop in "value" mid sale.

No purchases and I'm up 34c.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Worst sale I've ever seen for me, bought one game for €2, played it for about 10 minutes, uninstalled.

The steam sales for 2014 were really, really poor. Probably at the point where I own all the good legacy/back catalogue. But Steam really looked week this christmas, it's best CoDAW price was still €40+ where as other sites had it for €15 at a point. Same with a rake load of other new releases.

Steam needs to buck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I did that in the last sale. Had all these cards built up that I had never paid any mind to. Sold them all and made the guts of 20 euro, which bought me a few games on sale. :D

I'm just leaving them build up again now so I get more free games later. People are strange creatures.
    20 euro?

That's like..250 cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Taylor365 wrote: »
    20 euro?

That's like..250 cards!
    some people deal drug , others cards

20 euro?

That's like..250 cards!

Not really, some of them are worth 30-50 cent. But yeah I had a fair few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yea fairly disappointing sale i partly blame the new ui for steam i just dont like it. all i got was one game this sale not because i didnt want any more than that just because browsing the sales wasnt as eye grabbing as before with the flash sales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah, i agree, and did the very same - just bought wolfenstein the new order and the telltale game of thrones (awesome btw) only one chapter so far so it's 2 hours worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Final tally from this sale was:

The three Borderlands 2 Headhunter packs I didn't already have.
    How To Survive
    Bully
    Far Cry 3
    South Park
    Red Alert 3

Far Cry 3 & South Park were the only two I had planned on buying before the sale started. I did want to pick up Rome 2, but I doubt I'd really play it before the Summer Sale anyway so will hold off until then when it should be cheaper again. Same goes for the Telltale Game of Thrones game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Frisbee wrote: »
    I did want to pick up Rome 2
    DON'T!

Have it from release and haven't played more than 2 hours of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Papers Please and The Fall are the best buys I've made this sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

DON'T!

it's not that bad these days, they've fixed a heap of problems with it and added some new fancy schmancy bits and pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

DON'T!

I have it from release and have over 120 hours played of it. To be fair there was plenty of bugs etc straight after release but to me its a really good game and has been for most of the last year.

Got hannibal expansion for a few euro, well worth it for the new campaign.

I would defo reccomend it now.

Were you a fan of the previous games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lone Stone wrote: »
    yea fairly disappointing sale i partly blame the new ui for steam i just dont like it. all i got was one game this sale not because i didnt want any more than that just because browsing the sales wasnt as eye grabbing as before with the flash sales etc.

Yeah agree, I thought the old layout was much easier to identify what was community choice and flash, and the new one seemed very muddied. I also believe it was displaying differently for some users.

all I saw was the daily sales, and then a massive long list, where as friends said they had some breakdowns of flash, community and daily.

Few guys had the UI like me, others had one more like the old style.

Either or it annoyed me and I didn't find myself browsing or link hopping as much as I used to in sales.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Picked up 3 games from my first Steam Sale - Final Fantasy 7, Pro Cycling Manager 2013, and Kerbal Space Program. Was tempted by many more. Maybe PC Gaming isn't so bad after all :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Picked up 3 games from my first Steam Sale - Final Fantasy 7, Pro Cycling Manager 2013, and Kerbal Space Program. Was tempted by many more. Maybe PC Gaming isn't so bad after all :)

Was tempted to get cycling manager and kerbal but the too many games sitting in steam unplayed syndrome kicked in :P

Are they any good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dcully wrote: »
    Was tempted to get cycling manager and kerbal but the too many games sitting in steam unplayed syndrome kicked in :P

Are they any good?

Cycling manager 2013 seems like the one to go for, 2012 apparently doesn't run on newer systems and 2014 is obsolete in terms of kits and riders, but costs as much as a new one. It plays really nicely, once you beef up the graphics from the default settings, the stages look pretty good. I think it's a bit of crack, it's a simple enough manager sim. You pick riders with the best stats, keep them fit and happy, and race 'em! There's a huge modding community with it, but they mostly seem to require a far better PC than the one I have. It's satisfyingly realistic without having too many numbers to worry about. My only complaint is that the loading times are very long, but you understand why when you see the amount of detail you can put into the stages.

I haven't completely made up my mind about KSP. I'd been playing the demo for a good while, only just bought the full version now. It's a fairly difficult game, I nearly preferred the simple, paired-down demo version. I'm sure in time I'll get used to it all, the idea certainly appeals to me! It seems to be a highly realistic rocket and space shuttle simulator. A little on the pricey side if you don't get it on sale though.

Dcully wrote: »

Are they any good?

I'd highly recommend KSP. The learning curve is perhaps a touch steep for the first couple of hours but then evens out later and it's a ton of fun. It's one of the most deeply satisfying games I've played, if a bit of a time sink.

• Advertisement
Advertisement