Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flyefit Macken Street

• 15-09-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

Thinking of joining Flyefit on Macken Street but I'd be going at around 5:30ish so I know it would be pretty packed.

My question is: how packed? Like would I regularly be queuing for machines?

If so, what are other affordable gyms in that area? I'm currently with the Maldron hotel gym but that's waaaay too expensive without my corporate plan and I'm moving jobs soon (to another office nearby).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Buy a couple of day passes and head into Flyefit around your normal training time and judge for yourself. no risk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alienfeatures

That's not a bad idea. Thanks!

That's not a bad idea. Thanks!

I was due one. Hope it works out for ya!

Keep in mind there's a few more flyefits opening over the next few months which may help quieten down macken street too if it is too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'm usually there around 5.30 and out by 6.30, it is really busy but you won't have to wait long for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Monday and Tuesday from around 5.30 on is fairly packed. It eases off the rest of the week and Thursday and Friday are generally fine at around time. If just using the cardio machines you should be ok if you are in there at 5.30 any day. If looking for a squat rack it can be a right pain waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I don't think they do day passes, but if you ask nicely they will let you take a wonder around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I don't think they do day passes, but if you ask nicely they will let you take a wonder around.

They certainly do, I've used it myself. It's steep-ish at €9 but then again, it's a savage gym...

Yes they do. €9 PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hanley wrote: »
    I was due one. Hope it works out for ya!

Keep in mind there's a few more flyefits opening over the next few months which may help quieten down macken street too if it is too busy.

Any idea where? I know the Georges Street one

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Any idea where? I know the Georges Street one

There's another up where the old garda club was on harrington street.

Dunno about the other locations -they haven't said yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Dunno about the other locations -they haven't said yet.

H, is that 'on the way' or already opened? That's a lot of FlyeFits in relatively close proximity to one another!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    H, is that 'on the way' or already opened? That's a lot of FlyeFits in relatively close proximity to one another!

Opening over the next few months.

But if the delays on George's Street are anything to go by, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They've said they will have 3 new gyms open in the next 6 months, including the one on George's St(which is now due to open in the 2nd half of October.

I lol'd.

They've said they will have 3 new gyms open in the next 6 months, including the one on George's St(which is now due to open in the 2nd half of October.

I lol'd.

Wasn't george's street supposed to open in April?

...and weren't they taking prepayments since then?

Sounds like they just got a load of funding approved.

Wasn't george's street supposed to open in April?

...and weren't they taking prepayments since then?

Sounds like they just got a load of funding approved.

Yeah, I think April/May is about right.

In the meantime theystring along people who ask how soon is 'soon' because they've been topping up short-term memberships to keep them going until George's St opens by mid-November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭COH

Flyfit have taken over Rock Fitness in Dundrum too

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Are the showers in good condition? Will be using it before work so will need to use shower facility

Penguino wrote: »
    Are the showers in good condition? Will be using it before work so will need to use shower facility

They're excellent.

Somewhat limited in number, but excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

They're excellent.

Somewhat limited in number, but excellent.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

COH wrote: »
    Flyfit have taken over Rock Fitness in Dundrum too

For some reason they don't accept credit card payments yet; said they are awaiting machine from the bank. I've been wanting to join since September....

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hi,

Does anybody go to their classes? They seem to have loads of options, which ones are better than others (I'm a male who wants to tone up).

Also, would the 7/8/9am ones be very busy? Is booking essential?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody go to their classes? They seem to have loads of options, which ones are better than others (I'm a male who wants to tone up).

Also, would the 7/8/9am ones be very busy? Is booking essential?

Cheers

Having jut witnessed their kettlebells class, I can wholeheartedly endorse never attending their kettlebells class.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Having jut witnessed their kettlebells class, I can wholeheartedly endorse never attending their kettlebells class.

Any particular reason why? :)

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Any particular reason why? :)

Kettlebells are an excellent tool, but it's a very advanced training methodology. Way more advanced than most personal trainers realise (...so 'normal' people don't have a hope!).

It's not really suited to a class setting that you can dip in and out of because you've people of unmatched skill and experience all trying to do the same thing.

A kettlebell "class" should really be a teaching experience more like dance / gymnastics etc etc for the first 4-6 weeks in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,101 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just doing a Russian swing fully correctly may not be trivial for a new trainee!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just doing a Russian swing fully correctly may not be trivial for a new trainee!

HAH! Getting the stiff leg deadlift part right is probably an even bigger battle...

(seriously - I reckon we get a better than average crowd coming to see us in the gym, but AT LEAST 10% of them have down-right dangerous stiff leg deadlift tekkers until we spend 20 minutes one on one trying to rebuild them - can't imagine what a commercial gym would be like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Kettlebells are an excellent tool, but it's a very advanced training methodology. Way more advanced than most personal trainers realise (...so 'normal' people don't have a hope!).

It's not really suited to a class setting that you can dip in and out of because you've people of unmatched skill and experience all trying to do the same thing.

A kettlebell "class" should really be a teaching experience more like dance / gymnastics etc etc for the first 4-6 weeks in my opinion.

This. It was just 15-20 people doing 15-20 different things and the PT either unwilling or unable to correct the dismal tekkers on show. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Hi, Sorry to change the topic. Does anyone know what the free introductory programme involves? Thanks!

Opens at 10am today, I believe

• Advertisement

Opens at 10am today, I believe

Correct. It's been all over social the last few days.

Advertisement