Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

water stained seats

• 30-03-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,the fabric seats on my Corolla have become waterstained over the years. Is there any way to get them back to their original condition? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Rent a rug doctor and shampoo the seat, or if you have one yourself obviously (vax carpet shampooer or the like).

Most valet places should be able to do that for you also, maybe 20-30?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This probably doesn't apply to the Corolla but with a lot of cars you should never attempt to shampoo the seats yourself. Inside, there's an occupancy mat which detects the weight of a person and if they're sitting on the seat. Wet that, and you'll have a bill of 300 for the mat, and at least 2-300 for fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's the fire retardant material seeping through the fabric, there's no fixing it I'm afraid. Toyota uk cover themon warranty, but Toyota Ireland dont as far as I know.

Mad. I thought they were sweat stains on the avensis when I got them! :eek: Changed to leather seats, so never really tried to clean them.

Yeah, it only happens on corolla (02-06) and avensis (03-06)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

So is there a fix? if it's the fire retardant seeping upwards would washing them be of any use? Would I just be better off getting new seat covers?

The new covers cost thousands. A leather retrim would be cheaper

Try cartronics in santry

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The new covers cost thousands. A leather retrim would be cheaper

Try cartronics in santry

If its any help, full leather interior I got from eBay was £400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Spotless

Its just dirt wicking!! I thought the "detailers" on here would have been able to answer this for you. :rolleyes: I just thought I would reply because the thread is getting more and more expensive for the OP!

Its not the fire retardent but even if it was then a professional cleaning service can look after it.

Over time dust and dirt settles in through the fabric and in the presence of moisture, a process called "wicking" occurs where it seeps back up to the surface as water-marks.

Its a nightmare for car cleaning centres because we use an extractor to suck normal dirt-residue out of fabric but as the material dries, more dust from beneath can wick up to the surface. Repeating the process has the same effect.

There are a couple of ways to get rid of it, but you need a steamer, compressor, air-tools, extractors and drier. But no need to re-trim the interior in my opinion, unless you really want to. :)

Spotless wrote: »
    Its just dirt wicking!! I thought the "detailers" on here would have been able to answer this for you. :rolleyes: I just thought I would reply because the thread is getting more and more expensive for the OP!
    That's why Toyota GB have admitted the fault and replace them for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Owen wrote: »
    This probably doesn't apply to the Corolla but with a lot of cars you should never attempt to shampoo the seats yourself. Inside, there's an occupancy mat which detects the weight of a person and if they're sitting on the seat. Wet that, and you'll have a bill of 300 for the mat, and at least 2-300 for fitting.

i can't count how many seats i've cleaned in my time, but i've never, ever heard that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DetailerCork

never heard also

have you access to some wet/dry vacuum?
    if yes, then get some prespray, shampoo (Prochem is good)[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] from cleaning shop, spray seats and vacuum after.
    profesional extraction cleaning will cost you about 50E, it's not much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

i can't count how many seats i've cleaned in my time, but i've never, ever heard that happen?

Used to see it about once every two months in the Dealership, Airbag light on, Occupancy Mat needing replacing, and ask the customer did they recently have it valeted and have the seats shampood, and usually they did. We tracked it to a common source and explained to the guy who'd been doing most of the harm to more or less not shampoo them as much. We're not talking a light shampooing here, we're talking a fair bit of water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

cant kneeling fairly hard on the seat set them occupancy mat things off in some cars too?

Advertisement