Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advice is to make sure you spend a lot of time forging weapons and leveling them up. If you don't then the game becomes a grind.
    noodler wrote: »
    Is that not a grind in itself?

Haha, was just about to say the same thing! I have to admit, I felt the same. Started Vagrant Story and got a few hours into it but gave up on it. I never felt as though I was doing much damage, got the feeling I wasn't doing it right! Would like to give it another go some time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is that not a grind in itself?

It's a much better alternative. Hard to describe to someone that hasn't played it because the battle system is so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Finished Radiant Historia last night. Excellent game. Theres a real boss rush at the end though. It's almost a given that the "FINAL BATTLE" isn't going to be that but I must've spent the past 5 nights fighting bosses! Difficulty level is great though as it's little to do with level and more to do with strategy and party balance. I finished the game at Lvl 50. Did feck all grinding. You can actually avoid all the grunts from early-on so tedious walkover battles are never a worry.

Now onto Devil Survivor 2. I've 18 hours of flying to do this weekend and it better live up to it's predecessor (which is one of my favourite RPGs of all time, although technically I'd class it as a SRPG-lite)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Playing SMT Persona 2 for the first time, also slugging through Tales of Xilia in Japanese in a vain attempt at learning the language.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT AND I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S STILL THE TUTORIAL. ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Started up Rogue Galaxy again and managed to beat the first boss (the on where you have to jump onto his back), and I'm now at Burkaqua village. Leveled up a bit and combined a few weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

About 3/4 of the way through Radiant Historia myself. Not a bad game at all, and the combat is a nice change of pace.

Above poster about FF12 Zodiac - a HD version for the PS3 would be quite something. That and some character development for half the party.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

slugging through Tales of Xilia in Japanese in a vain attempt at learning the language.

will that get a european release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

No idea, all I've heard that if demand is enough, then it will. I have no idea how they gauge the demand though!

it's a pity, it's a lovely looking game, and plays well......it'd be nice to fully understand what's going on though!

EDIT:

Found this:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/22/shh-dont-tell-anyone-but-we-found-a-tales-of-xillia-trademark/

So, looks good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just started Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions. Tough little cookie.
    Should be wrapping up FF6 any day now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just started Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions. Tough little cookie.
    Should be wrapping up FF6 any day now.

2 SAVE FILES

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have 4. Thanks!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I have 4. Thanks!

And figure out the errand system earlier than i did!

And figure out the errand system earlier than i did!

Errand system? I'm not that far in yet. I'm at a part where I need to defeat a white mage accompanied by several others who like nothing more than to crush me with cheap AoE magic.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah, Miluda, loved that fight with her so atmospheric and its where the story really kicks into gear.

Just cleared the first chapter. Story is much better than I was expecting.

H. H. Asquith

Just cleared the first chapter. Story is much better than I was expecting.

I found it very difficult to keep up with the factions and names/places.

I hope you fare better!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Playing Tales of Graces F, really enjoying it after Abyss and Legendia nearly put me off this series for good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Posting this here because a lot of people seem to be playing FF: Tactics. http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.msg168572#msg168572

Thread contains a link to a patch for the PSP version which apparently fixed the slowdown issues that version has. I've been interested in playing it myself so I'm half glad I put it off up til now. There's some other widescreen aspect ratio thingy as well, I think. I haven't played WOTL so I don't know how well it all works, only that you'll need CFW. AFAIK, every single PSP model can be easily soft-modded now. Except maybe that budget one that just came out.

They stretched the game to 16:9 so everything is squashed and fat looking. It's a terrible conversion but still a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Well you can play it in 4:3 now. It's more or less identical to the PS1 version except it has a new translation and really, really nice cutscenes.

• Advertisement

New translation was badly needed as well! The PS1 translation is quite possibly worst translation of a game since the NES era.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

After seeing many comments on the JRPG forum, I bought Persona 3. I initially struggled to get into it, but it's thankfully really got going thanks to the Social Links. It's only my second Atlus game (the first being Catherine), I'm finding it slightly frustrating that I can't do everything due to the in game time constraints, but I think I'll happily play this game multiple times in the future.

Am disappointed thus far with Devil Survivor 2. It's basically the first game with a new skin which should be no bad thing but it just feels like a poor man's version of the game. The characters and plot (so far) aren't as fleshed out for starters. Having to wait for the first couple of days to pass before you have all the features enabled is also a pain for us DS1 veterans!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Started Atelier Rorona. Seems quite fun though I can see my self getting stressed with the time limits later on as I presume they get tougher. Having SDish character models and better proportioned character art is really jarring on a High definition console though.

Just had my PS3 & PSP nicked. Looks like I'll be starting FFT & FFVI from scratch.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

megaten wrote: »
    Started Atelier Rorona. Seems quite fun though I can see my self getting stressed with the time limits later on as I presume they get tougher. Having SDish character models and better proportioned character art is really jarring on a High definition console though.

nah they get even easier once you have access to certain features, you'll see.

Just had my PS3 & PSP nicked. Looks like I'll be starting FFT & FFVI from scratch.
    Oh no, thats brutal! From your house? very sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up the Lunar Silver Star Story PSP remake for the Vita. It looks great and it's still Lunar but the battles are just far, far too easy. You can seemingly breeze through the whole thing with Party AI.

Picked up the Lunar Silver Star Story PSP remake for the Vita. It looks great and it's still Lunar but the battles are just far, far too easy. You can seemingly breeze through the whole thing with Party AI.

The original game was like that. Working Designs bumped up the difficulty for the Western releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Final Fantasy XIII-2, which was a birthday present.

I didn't bother finishing the demo, as it wasn't too appealing, but I'm really enjoying this. If the demo had been the first hour of the game, I'd have bought it myself weeks ago!

Advertisement