Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nike Free not for running?

Options
  • 10-09-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I was in Elvery's earlier to have a look at some Nike Free runners as I'm in the market for a new pair. I was just asking the salesperson about sizes etc. when he asked me if I was buying them with the intention of going running. He then explained that they are designed for the gym (whatever that means?), and that they would wear out after a couple hundred km.

Now, I'm no expert by any stretch, but I feel like he didn't really know what he was talking about. Although the fact that he said anything to dissuade me from purchasing a pricey pair of runners did strike me as quite odd.

What do ye think? Is he correct?

Also, could anyone recommend a pair of minimal running shoes? I have done some running before, but I've recently joined a running club and I'm really trying to improve times over 1, 3, and 5 mile runs (nothing long distance...yet!).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i think designed for the gym would have to do with the flat sole that isn't terribly spongy, so you'd be better able to squat and the like in them

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

strelok wrote: »
    i think designed for the gym would have to do with the flat sole that isn't terribly spongy, so you'd be better able to squat and the like in them

Ah, I get ya.

€120 for squat shoes though! I use a €5 pair of converse and they do the same job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just be thankful that you got decent advice, credit where credit is due!

All too often I see the opposite. Free's being pawned off as a 'great' running shoe. They are not bad, work for some people but in the majority of instances they are really only suitable for use in the gym. The foam is quite light, the midsole is extremely flexible and unless you are running light and efficiently they would be unsuitable and will wear out durability-wise relatively quickly.

They may be suitable for you for the distances you are targeting at the moment. There are other minimal running shoes available, it just depends on you, how low and flexible you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I've run 2 marathons and hundreds of kilometers in Nike Free 5.0 and never had a problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I went and bought them anyway. Love 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

Nike is abhorrent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

bside29 wrote: »
    Nike is abhorrent

Not the most constructive post I've seen. You must have had a pretty bad experience with Nike as a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I got a pair of Nike Free RN Distance the other week - they're Frees that are have more cushioning:
    http://running.competitor.com/2015/11/shoes-and-gear/shoe-of-the-week-nike-free-rn-distance_139784

They feel like running in slippers. They're my first pair of minimalish runners, I've had no problems running long (a couple of runs around 9-10 miles) and fast (well, fast for me :) ) in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

i have also used the Nike Free for training for and running marathons, never had an issue with them, think i did 3 marathons using them.

but as sconhome pointed out, fair play to the salesperson trying to advise you on a correct shoe. Just be thankful they did not try to get you to buy those foot balance insoles :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement