Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFRaw Batch Converting to jpeg in Windows

• 06-08-2008 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Another problem I had, and another solution.

I shoot files as NEF. I use UFraw and Gimp for PP. The problem I was having was that I had to open each file in UFraw, then Save As jpg - each requiring multiple clicks/button presses. The help details I found for UFraw weren't great, but finally figured it out.

In Windows, I have a file called:
    C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\ufraw-batch.exe

We will assume the NEFs I want to convert are in the folder
    C:\Users\Me\Pictures\080805\RAW

Open the command line interface, then type
    cd C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin

ufraw-batch C:\Users\Me\Pictures\080805\RAW\*.NEF --out-type=jpeg

200 odd photos converted while I went off and made tea :)
    As far as I can see it uses the default settings that you can set through the Ufraw GUI, Options, Config XML, so you can decide on white balance, compression etc before hand and then let it do the same thing to all in the batch. The output .jpgs are all in the RAW folder, but it's easy enough to sort by type and put the jpgs into the higher level, or whereever you store these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

This just made my life a whole lot easier!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You would be better off converting RAW to a non-lossy format, such as TIFF or PSD, for processing & only convert to Jpeg to export a final image.

Advertisement