Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

City Breaks - An area where Australia is lacking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Sundy wrote: »
    No but some logic goes along way.

I really think 04072511 must really hate oz at this stage.

<snip>

I'm just a bit concerned that he doesn't really give a balanced representation of Australia to people who read his posts.

How utterly pathetic! You must have a lot of time on your hands (shouldn't you be working by the way?)

Nice going to cherry pick the things I dislike about Australia. There's things to be disliked about any country. I've mentioned many times about how great a place Australia is to travel and that the scenery, wilderness and the wildlife is among the best in the world. In fact I even mentioned it on this thread.

hussey wrote: »

It's a bit unfair to compare Australia to Europe in this regard.

It's not unfair. It is a negative aspect of LIVING in Australia over LIVING in Europe, not having much of a diverse selection of destinations on your doorstep. There's plenty of positive aspects to living in Australia over Europe, but this certainly isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I'm just a bit concerned that he doesn't really give a balanced representation of Australia to people who read his posts.
    Huh? Hes not working for a newspaper, hes posting opinion on an internet forum. This forum is brimming with twenty somethings who have moved to Australia straight from working in their local Spar or from doing Commerce in Tralee IT and living with their Mammy and think its some kind of utopia. A little balance is actually nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

04072511 wrote: »
    How utterly pathetic! You must have a lot of time on your hands (shouldn't you be working by the way?)

Nice going to cherry pick the things I dislike about Australia. There's things to be disliked about any country. I've mentioned many times about how great a place Australia is to travel and that the scenery, wilderness and the wildlife is among the best in the world. In fact I even mentioned it on this thread.
    Lots of time. Work is pretty quiet this morning.

So what's your opinion of the lack of culturally diverse places to go skiing/snow boarding in Australia?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Huh? Hes not working for a newspaper, hes posting opinion on an internet forum. This forum is brimming with twenty somethings who have moved to Australia straight from working in their local Spar or from doing Commerce in Tralee IT and living with their Mammy and think its some kind of utopia. A little balance is actually nice.
    His opinion on places in Australia isn't balanced. He even admits himself he judges places as a tourist. Which would be fine only most people on here looking for info are considering moving to oz to live, work and make lots of money.

• Advertisement

His opinion on places in Australia isn't balanced.
    Whats this 'balance' crap, this is not the BBC, one opinion is as valid as the next.

The fact is there are a handful of cities in Australia, two of which are worth visiting. There are some amazing regions to visit, but these are really far apart. Points of interest are few and far between given the size of the landmass and the cost and effort needed to get to them. I went to plan a three month roadtrip from Melbourne to Brisbane and ended up stuggling to fill six weeks because there simply isnt that much to see, just some nice scenery surrounded by enormous, boring gaps full of nothing.

Whats this 'balance' crap, this is not the BBC, one opinion is as valid as the next.

Thats where this 'balance' crap came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Guys be nice, no need to accuse the OP of hating Australia, and no need to bite back either - report post if problem.

BE CIVIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

It is an advantage Europe has over all other continents though not just over Australia. Cheap air travel and huge variations in culture within a relatively small areas. Europe is pretty much the only place you get this. It is one of the things you sacrifice to live here but there's not much that can be done about that.

It's not unfair. It is a negative aspect of LIVING in Australia over LIVING in Europe, not having much of a diverse selection of destinations on your doorstep. There's plenty of positive aspects to living in Australia over Europe, but this certainly isn't one of them.

Of course it is unfair, Australia has a population of 22million, europe has 730million. Of course there is going to be lack of 'city breaks' due to the lack of cities 22million people need.

Exactly what do you want to discuss here?
    You ask in the original post
    "What do people think about the choice of places to visit in Australia?"
    There are plenty of places to visit in Australia, obviously not as much as Europe, and it should be clear as day that there is a lack of 'city breaks' I mean there are only 5 major cities - Sydney (4.6m), Melbourne (4.1), Brisbane(2), Perth (1.74), Adelaide(1.2) .. and not sure about classing Canberra (350k), Hobart(214k) or Darwin (127k) as a city.

So just to be clear are you talking about City or places? As your title is different to the question

• Advertisement

I didnt realise positivity was a prerequiste for posting here?

Mod It's not at all, you can post what you like as long it stays within the charter i.e. be civil and no trolling.

If someone comes on an constantly attacks Australia it's going to rub people up the wrong way.

People here want a balanced view of life in Australia, we know it's not for everyone, but a lot of us have made Australia home, and have a right to defend it. I mean if you don't like Cork and head into the Cork forum and post how crap you think it is, what do you think the reaction will be

Note - This was not a post attacking or accusing CiaranC at all, I was just clarifying everyone can post as long as they are civil and not trolling.

I'm loving living down here, just a bit frustrated with not being able to do what I did when I lived at home, which was visit a different city every few months.

Its definitely something you don't appreciate fully when you live at home. Ive met a few Australians who don't seem to know how travel is easy in Europe.

I guess its just different a different way of thinking I guess, sure I'd still love to be able to do city breaks but being a person who likes the outdoors, Perth offers so much more with a couple of hours drive.

I think the isolation of Australia is something you need to consider before making it home. Probably not the place for you if you have itchy feet.

People here want a balanced view of life in Australia, we know it's not for everyone, but a lot of us have made Australia home, and have a right to defend it. I mean if you don't like Cork and head into the Cork forum and post how crap you think it is, what do you think the reaction will be
    At one point this was a travel forum. People are entitled to give their opinion on travelling Australia (on a WHV or holiday visa), good or bad, without having to worry about upsetting a load of Oz-mad ex-pats. Maybe a reorganisation is in order.

At one point this was a travel forum. People are entitled to give their opinion on travelling Australia (on a WHV or holiday visa), good or bad, without having to worry about upsetting a load of Oz-mad ex-pats. Maybe a reorganisation is in order.

At the moment there isn't enough traffic to have two different forums, it's a good idea and has been mentioned in the past.

The dynamic of people to Australia has changed since the inception of the forum. Before hand people would come to Australia because they wanted to, either because of travel or to settle.

Now a lot of people come to Australia because they don't have any work otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes Australia is crap at short weekend city breaks.

The truth is out, we fess up.

Everyone can stop coming over now

Feel like I should clear my name here. I love Australia. I don't hate it. I've always wanted to come here to travel and work, long before the recession, and indeed I gave up a job back home to come here. After Peru, It's probably the best country I have travelled out of 26 countries I have been to.

However it's not all a bed of roses. I find that once you have travelled the country extensively, you are then stuck with not a lot of new places to see for weekends here and there, like you would have in Europe. It's expensive to get to anywhere outside of Oz, and anybody who thinks otherwise must be earning top dollar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Anyone coming to Australia thinking it'll be a good spot to take some city breaks from is going to be disappointed I'd imagine, but have never heard of anyone doing that personally.

Anyone suggesting a destination for a 'weekend break' that requires 18 hours flight time to get there and back is delusional though, it is in no way a good place to use as a base for seeing other cities. I'm just back from Tokyo and was shattered on arrival and on return - and I was in the pointy end of the plane.

Think its a case of enjoying it for what is is - and promising myself I'll take more city breaks when I move back home. (which will probably not happen!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Exactly what do you want to discuss here?

So just to be clear are you talking about City or places? As your title is different to the question

I think it is places he is on about with strict rules about Accessibility, Price, Different Culture, Different Languages and Architecture, which just is not Australia, Australia might be bigger than Europe but it is still the same county, so this whole thread a bit of a whinging exercise unless you want to talk about all the Pacific Nations in the same context as Europe, which then breaks said strict rules which in turn neatly takes us back to the original odd question
    seachto7 wrote: »
    The whole "citybreak" thing is a load of w*nk.

The whole "Citybreak" thing is a boring story in the making for Family, Colleagues, Friends (If Any), Random Strangers. I in my time have been privileged to many of these contrived anecdotal stories, First reaction normally is glazing over of the eyes then make up an excuse to get out of there."City Breaks" really sound like the thing you do when you dont have a decent Hobby, Interest or Friends that in the course of events will take you to different interesting places just through doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

I used to be annoyed at the lack of city break options but if you are up for a "country break" it's great here.
    I just came back from a long weekend in the southwest of WA, Dunsborough to Margaret River to Augusta. I loved it. Small towns but nice people, great places to eat and great scenery. A good alternative if you can enjoy a break without the high street shopping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

The whole "Citybreak" thing is a boring story in the making for Family, Colleagues, Friends (If Any), Random Strangers. I in my time have been privileged to many of these contrived anecdotal stories, First reaction normally is glazing over of the eyes then make up an excuse to get out of there."City Breaks" really sound like the thing you do when you dont have a decent Hobby, Interest or Friends that in the course of events will take you to different interesting places just through doing them.

To be honest, I think that's a load of nonsense. Fair enough, a city break may not be to everyone's liking but the whole reason for going on such a holiday isn't to simply entertain people with stories of places you've been on your return, and the fact that people like going on city breaks is in no way an indication that you've no other hobbies or interests or the like in your life.

I personally used to love picking a random city in Europe and going for three or four days over a bank holiday weekend at home, purely for the thrill of seeing somewhere new and being immersed in a different culture, all within an hour or two of flying from Ireland.
    It's true with what the OP says and this option simply isn't available in Australia, given the relative geographical isolation of the country coupled with its sheer size. Consequently for long weekends here I love packing up the car and away somewhere to go camping/hiking/surfing for the few days.

It's just a matter of horses for courses really.

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    Thats a load of rubbish. For loads of us on here, travel is our hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City breaks on the east coast are easily possible, and it's not even expensive for an air fare.

I'm just back from a weekend in Brisbane - flew out on the red eye Thursday night, came back last night in time for work. Also heading to Melbourne for another weekend away at the end of May.

That's from Perth so if I can do with just taking a Friday off work then so can those on the eastern seaboard. The option is there if you want it (and can afford it) tbh.

Traq wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that's a load of nonsense. Fair enough, a city break may not be to everyone's liking but the whole reason for going on such a holiday isn't to simply entertain people with stories of places you've been on your return, and the fact that people like going on city breaks is in no way an indication that you've no other hobbies or interests or the like in your life.

It's just a matter of horses for courses really.

You must be different to the people who i seem to attract for some reason, who on their return state "You just haaave to go there", i have lernt not to ask "Why" now.

The horses for Courses i covered that in post 8.
    I think its a upbringing thing, why go looking at Citys when you can go Camping or play sports on weekends.

Can i get back to you after work, there are still 4 of us working here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Xavi6 wrote: »
    City breaks on the east coast are easily possible, and it's not even expensive for an air fare.

I'm just back from a weekend in Brisbane - flew out on the red eye Thursday night, came back last night in time for work. Also heading to Melbourne for another weekend away at the end of May.

That's from Perth so if I can do with just taking a Friday off work then so can those on the eastern seaboard. The option is there if you want it (and can afford it) tbh.

Yep but not with the diversity of culture that the OP was talking about.

What a load of rubbish! Travel is not only a hobby or interest of many, but indeed a passion. It certainly is for me anyway. I've met lots of friends through it.

I could just as easily say to you that camping and fishing sounds like the type of thing that you do when you have zero social skills to interact with new and interesting people, and no ambition to move outside of your safe bubble of sitting around a camp fire, drinking bottles of Carlton Draught, and engaging in self-flaturary with your fellow campers about how great you all are because you are at one with nature and the "great outdoors".

To quote yourself, "horses for coarses". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

What a load of rubbish! Travel is not only a hobby or interest of many, but indeed a passion. It certainly is for me anyway. I've met lots of friends through it.

I could just as easily say to you that camping and fishing sounds like the type of thing that you do when you have zero social skills to interact with new and interesting people, and no ambition to move outside of your safe bubble of sitting around a camp fire, drinking bottles of Carlton Draught, and engaging in self-flaturary with your fellow campers about how great you all are because you are at one with nature and the "great outdoors".

Obviously that's your view on the outdoor life, when someone mentions City Breaker here's what I'm thinking.

y55.jpg

Like you say what ever floats your boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

mandrake04 wrote: »

Obviously that's your view on the outdoor life, when someone mentions City Breaker here's what I'm thinking.

y55.jpg

Like you say what ever floats your boat

I have no idea what the point of this thread is but that is one handsome dude right there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I have no idea what the point of this thread is but that is one handsome dude right there :)

Its not the dude, its the over shoulder pastel coloured sweater, 3/4 length pants and plimsolls. He's dressed for his city break.

• Advertisement

It might be a passion/hobby for the pair of you, but judging by your posts you dont seem to be very good at it. anybody looking at a map could tell its a vast, barren empty place with cities long distances apart and a long way to travel to any other Country. But dont worry i go shooting with a bloke who could not stalk a lamp post, but he seems to enjoy himself anyway
    jackbhoy wrote: »
    I have no idea what the point of this thread is

Dont worry, i dont think the OP does either but i think this is the crux of it
    I think it is places he is on about with strict rules about Accessibility, Price, Different Culture, Different Languages and Architecture, which just is not Australia, Australia might be bigger than Europe but it is still the same county, so this whole thread a bit of a whinging exercise unless you want to talk about all the Pacific Nations in the same context as Europe, which then breaks said strict rules which in turn neatly takes us back to the original odd question

Advertisement