Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Musgrave Cork Chill Strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Well office staff with a days training and a few days experienced seem to be doing just fine, and from my contacts in some shops, orders seem to be more on time and more accurate than before, I wonder how "well earned" these workers salary is??????

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

Where do you work Musgrave HR:)

mcko wrote: »
    Where do you work Musgrave HR:)

Ha ha touchy! No I don't work for Musgrave full stop, where do you Work(using this term very loosely), musgrave chill warehouse????

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

So Musgrave office workers are now not only passing the pickets but are doing the jobs of their striking colleagues and making sure the orders get out. So much for worker solidarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

regress wrote: »
    So Musgrave office workers are now not only passing the pickets but are doing the jobs of their striking colleagues and making sure the orders get out. So much for worker solidarity.

Who cares about worker solidarity when the people striking are greedy and lazy.

• Advertisement

I don't see how Musgraves are trying to worsen people's terms and conditions by giving them a 5% pay rise or letting them reduce their weekend hours by equivalent amount plus standard 1.5% pay rise just to introduce technology which will make their work easier.! These workers have got it too good and don't realize it.....

Make their work easier?
    Time that used to be spent on a quick walk to collect the next order will be removed from their shift completely and they'll constantly be picking orders.

Now if there was a decent time per employee spent walking to collect orders all this time will add up. Unless there are increased orders coming in the existing work won't need the same number of employees.

That's between Musgraves and the staff of course but I don't see how it will make their work easier, picking orders is more demanding than walking to collect the next paper order :)

I don't work there and never have by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In most industrial disputes, I find it very hard to get clear facts on pay or conditions, what with management and workers giving various spin and avoiding the facts that don't suit their argument. This case is no different.
    I hear €18 per hour being bandied about but I also hear €46 000 a year.
    Now these figures do not match - €18 per hour add up to €36 504 per year for a 39 hour week - so which is it?
    There was also mention of 6 weeks holiday - is this true? That's 1.5 times the mandatory holidays.

So, I'd like to know what the proposed actual basic yearly salary is.
    What the actual hours are and the break times (if paid).
    What the holiday entitlements are.
    What bonuses there are for weekend work, productivity etc.
    What the weekend obligation is.

Without these facts is is all just empty rhetoric, really.

Also, regarding the crossing of picket lines - if you genuinely don't agree with a dispute, why should you support it?

I believe in the right to strike.
    I also believe in the right to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I had to laugh when I saw the picket outside Musgraves at the weekend... What frustrated me was the lack of a way for passing motorists to show their disapproval or lack of support. I wanted to beep my horn in frustration at them but they would probably have interpreted this as a vouch of support! So I had to resort to a mere dirty glare!!

So, to Strike or whoever the union involved is, wake up to reality and cop yourselves on. Unions serve a purpose but in my opinion if they carry on in this manner their days will be rightfully numbered. I don't believe it's about workers any more but more the unions trying to flex the last of their muscles and justify themselves in a lot of cases.

Also, regarding the crossing of picket lines - if you genuinely don't agree with a dispute, why should you support it?

What the Musgrave office workers are doing goes way beyond that. By doing the chill workers job and ensuring that orders go out they are quite deliberately shafting their colleagues. This is not something they are contractually required to do. Irrespective of merits of strke this is a very nasty thing for them to do to fellow employees.

Why do they need a break between picking orders?
    Don't they get a lunch break?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

unreal. that sounds like the public service.

I work in the Pharma industry and I earn a lot more than the guys in musgraves :D
    I can't believe that anyone would cross an official picket, we are only strong when we stick together.
    Men and women died in this country for workers rights and to have scabs crossing pickets it's a sad sad day for Ireland.

54kroc wrote: »

It's not a break, it's a walk to the office to collect the next order. It's still work. It would be similar to a walk to a meeting or the photocopier for desk jockies, it's still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bassboot

In most industrial disputes, I find it very hard to get clear facts on pay or conditions, what with management and workers giving various spin and avoiding the facts that don't suit their argument. This case is no different.
    I hear €18 per hour being bandied about but I also hear €46 000 a year.
    Now these figures do not match - €18 per hour add up to €36 504 per year for a 39 hour week - so which is it?
    There was also mention of 6 weeks holiday - is this true? That's 1.5 times the mandatory holidays.

So, I'd like to know what the proposed actual basic yearly salary is.
    What the actual hours are and the break times (if paid).
    What the holiday entitlements are.
    What bonuses there are for weekend work, productivity etc.
    What the weekend obligation is.

Without these facts is is all just empty rhetoric, really.

There is different contracts in place for workers, hence the different numbers being mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

... an international survey concluded that Irish workers worked the longest hours for the least pay when compared to the major economies in Europe. ...

do you have a link to that survey? I don't doubt the longest hours but I do doubt the least pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's not a break, it's a walk to the office to collect the next order. It's still work. It would be similar to a walk to a meeting or the photocopier for desk jockies, it's still work.

Its a bit like saying for an office worker that if the photocopier is moved closer to his desk he wants a pay rise because he won't have as much time walking between the photocopier and his desk anymore. I'm a union member myself but this is crazy.

okedoke wrote: »
    Its a bit like saying for an office worker that if the photocopier is moved closer to his desk he wants a pay rise because he won't have as much time walking between the photocopier and his desk anymore. I'm a union member myself but this is crazy.

I was just making the point that it's not a break, it's still work :)
    I'm not privy to enough details to decide is the strike justified or not, much like most other folks posting here. Although some like to think they know all the ins and outs of the situation.

Don't they get a lunch break?

That isn't the issue. It's the reduced time you get to complete orders that is. The times have been cut in half in some cases. So in effect you could be working up to 50% harder to make your daily/weekly targets. In a physical job requiring up to 12 hours of lifting this is a huge leap from the current levels of productivity.

RoverJames wrote: »

I'm not saying it isn't work, I was under the impression they didn't want to use radios as they wouldn't get a break like when they're walking back to pick up a new order.
    bassboot wrote: »
    That isn't the issue. It's the reduced time you get to complete orders that is. The times have been cut in half in some cases. So in effect you could be working up to 50% harder to make your daily/weekly targets. In a physical job requiring up to 12 hours of lifting this is a huge leap from the current levels of productivity.

Would you happen to know the exact times they're allowed? I'm pretty sure Musgraves didn't just pluck them out of the air.
    If your able to work 50% harder to meet your new targets what were you doing with that time before the new targets?

I work in the Pharma industry and I earn a lot more than the guys in musgraves :D
    I can't believe that anyone would cross an official picket, we are only strong when we stick together.
    Men and women died in this country for workers rights and to have scabs crossing pickets it's a sad sad day for Ireland.

Do you think all workers should support a strike no matter what the issue? I would only cross a picket if i didnt support the people striking.
    I presume the other workers in Musgraves know a lot more than any of us about the situation so i think it is very wrong to call them "scabs". I would have a lot less respect for people that just towed the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

what were you doing with that time before the new targets?
    Fu.. all and nothing.To be honest they just rode agency's backs.

Would you happen to know the exact times they're allowed? I'm pretty sure Musgraves didn't just pluck them out of the air.
    If your able to work 50% harder to meet your new targets what were you doing with that time before the new targets?[/Quote]

You were doing your job.

If your able to work 50% harder to meet your new targets what were you doing with that time before the new targets?

You were doing your job.[/QUOTE]

Not to the best of your ability.

You were doing your job.

Not to the best of your ability.[/Quote]

Define ability.

All well and good to be saying that, many folks may not be able to afford to support the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mama79

A buddy of mine works in the office in Musgraves Tramore Road and going on what he's told me they didn't really have a choice in going to work in the warehouse. Office staff aren't unionised only the warehouse is so its not really a case of people shafting their colleagues. If someone in the offices has a grievance re pay or conditions, there's no union rep to support them so essentially they're on their own when they raise a grievance with management.

mama79 wrote: »
    A buddy of mine works in the office in Musgraves Tramore Road and going on what he's told me they didn't really have a choice in going to work in the warehouse. .

They wouldn't be the first to use the excuse that they were only following orders. In my opinion what the office workers have done to their colleagues in Chill is despicable.

Scabs are scabs no matter how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

Hey...dont know the details of the chill strike as i dont work there but confusion seems to be working against the strikers big time!

There are numerous posts all about voice computers but then union lady representing the workers on 96fm (poorly by the way) with prederville said the strike had nothing to do with the voice system!

She also said that the overwhelming majority of workers (800?) were having nothing to do with the strike. You can be sure that has more to do with those people looking after their jobs in this day and age than any grudge against colleagues who are in dispute. Or are those 800 people not entitled to have an opinion?

Empty shelves not in the best interest of staff on either side of the gate....unless you work for the germans or tesco of course!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Scabs are scabs no matter how you look at it.
    wow.....
    so just because a large group of people have one opinion, everyone else has to follow them regardless of their own opinions? this is a society where everyone can make up their own mind. from companies i have been at(in a different industry to musgraves) most of the employees would do as much as they could to keep the company growing and profitable, because it benefits them too.
    we don't know the full details but to me it seems that some workers who have been there for years and used to a certain way of doing things don't want it to change. but all companies evolve in order to increase efficiency and profits(which in some way benefits the staff). you have to evolve with the times, especially in business. would you rather the company lost money and had to let people go?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement