Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The race for 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th (delete as appropriate)

• 29-12-2011 7:33pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bout that time of the year we keep an eye on other teams/results.

Next round of games I can't really see any of the Top 6 dropping points. Maybe Liverpool might struggle against Newcastle but I can see them winning all the same.

I think it's very important we keep the momentum up for the City game so another win is needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

we need to be picking up 12 points from swansea away and following 3 home games against w brom , everton and wolves before we meet City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I and numerous others on here have said it before, the next month and a bit will define our season. If we could just maintain our advantage over Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal we'll be back to the bright lights of the Champions League. Title talk is silly, automatic qualification for the CL (i.e. 3rd) should be the target, anything else is optimistic to the point of foolishness.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ziedth wrote: »
    Bout that time of the year we keep an eye on other teams/results.

Next round of games I can't really see any of the Top 6 dropping points. Maybe Liverpool might struggle against Newcastle but I can see them winning all the same.

I think it's very important we keep the momentum up for the City game so another win is needed.

Thread is fine for the time being. Let's keep it based on ourselves and our chances etc. Obviously our chances will depend on other results, no harm mentioning them but let's not go off topic.

Cheers
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I am confident we will take 8 in the next four. February though is a different matter altogether. I am quite happy with the squad at the moment too. Not sure if I want a Faustino type coming in upsetting the applecart as Harry is hinting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fergie thinks we can, watch vid
    "Tottenham can definitely win it,"

"They play the best football in the country and their current form is the best in the country."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/7402324/Fergie-Spurs-can-win-it

Makes me smile, great being a Spurs fan, COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

THFC wrote: »
    I and numerous others on here have said it before, the next month and a bit will define our season. If we could just maintain our advantage over Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal we'll be back to the bright lights of the Champions League. Title talk is silly, automatic qualification for the CL (i.e. 3rd) should be the target, anything else is optimistic to the point of foolishness.

Sounds like the words of a man who has seen a few too many false dawns in the past! :D .. and still bares the scares!

It would take 12 points from next 4 games to convience me that we are title contenders ... If we within 6 points of the leaders at the start of Feburary then surely we deserve to be mentioned in the same light as City and Utd.

Of course anything less and we are realistically looking at a 3rd or 4th place finish.

For my new years resolution I've decided I'm going to enjoy been a spurs fan for a change .. as many others have said on here recently - this is probably the best spurs team we have seen in 20-30 years, playing the best football we can remember etc etc. I havent been this excited since the seaon we signed klinsmann and Co. Roll on 2012!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

So half way through the season and we are 5 points ahead of 5th with a game in hand. I don't think any of us would have believed that was even possible after getting our asses handed to us by City in August.

I don't think I have ever enjoyed being a spurs fan so much. I honestly believe that regardless of where we finish allot of us could look back even decades from now and say this was the bes spurst team we ever saw in the flesh.

I hope we can stick it out and finish in the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

ziedth wrote: »
    So half way through the season and we are 5 points ahead of 5th with a game in hand. I don't think any of us would have believed that was even possible after getting our asses handed to us by City in August.

I don't think I have ever enjoyed being a spurs fan so much. I honestly believe that regardless of where we finish allot of us could look back even decades from now and say this was the bes spurst team we ever saw in the flesh.

I hope we can stick it out and finish in the top 4.
    Hopefully decades from now our current team will be so good that we think of this team as the point when started to dominate the premiership like united has done for a fair portion of the 90s and noughties. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Good man Zamora :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I love Martin Jol Martin Jol loves me :D

• Advertisement

Another cracking result for us!!

I keep checking the table and cant help thinking we're we would be had we gotten a few better result vs Stoke/Chelsea/Swansea.

Another cracking result for us!!

I keep checking the table and cant help thinking we're we would be had we gotten a few better result vs Stoke/Chelsea/Swansea.

Its swings and roundabouts man, we were unlucky against Stoke but the other two were fair draws. Remember we stole the points at Craven Cottage aswell, where we are now is amazing and with 3 winnable home games coming up its happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's funny because all of us (and Lawro on the BBC!) thought that we would have to win against Swansea to prove our title credentials as that's exactly the type of game champions-elect win, like how Utd beat Blackburn at home and City beat Sunderland away and.. oh wait :P

Half way through and we're clear in 3rd, with a game in hand. It's dreamland really! We need maximum points from all of our home games though, as from the start of Feb to mid-March we have some really tough games and I hope we stay in good shape both form and injury-wise.

At this moment in time we could definitely win the league, and I hope that's what the players aim for. I'd still be absolutely chuffed with 4th spot and with every team seemingly struggling for points at the moment, it's going to be a very interesting 2nd half of the season.

I wouldn't complain if Pool gets one over Citeh tomorrow.

I wouldn't complain if Pool gets one over Citeh tomorrow, and the Toons need to win a game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Jol is after giving us some serious help with this push.

They have taken poins off Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

I can see Liverpool getting a draw and anything can happen to Utd these days. it could be a great looking table tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

A couple draws tomorrow would be great and a win for us as well obviously.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I wouldn't complain if Pool gets one over Citeh tomorrow.

draw in that one all day long , keep the pool down

BERBA wrote: »
    draw in that one all day long , keep the pool down

Yeah you probably right.

Since we are not so far away from city, if we win our game in hand, it be great that they drop points as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Whatever Citeh do, if we win our three home games we would go to Manchester knowing a win would put us level with them, and ahead of them if they drop any points between now and then.

• Advertisement

Top 6 next three gams below:

1 Manchester City 20 48 Wigan (A) Tottenham (H) Everton (A)

2 Manchester United 19 45 Newcastle (A) Bolton (H) Arsenal (A)

3 Tottenham 19 42 Everton (H) Wolves (H) Man City (A)

4 Chelsea 20 37 Sunderland (H) Norwich (A) Swansea (A)

5 Arsenal 20 36 Swansea (A) Man Utd (H) Bolton (A)

6 Liverpool 19 34 Stoke (H) Bolton (A) Wolves (A)

In reality we got to be talking 9 points for serious title challenge. Could be a serious swing in points after these three rounds of games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I like how our fixtures come again though. Even if we lose to Utd and City again, we get a great run of games that are easily winnable. Not enough for top spot maybe, but a shoe in for 2nd or 3rd.

I'd bet on us to finally get one over Utd this time though (assuming we don't have the injuries we have now).

Ya Ya Toure missing for City when we play them in a few weeks , he'll be a big miss for them:D

Thank God for the FA cup, hopefully a bunch of the players can get some much needed rest.

Both Arse and chelsea below us have to travel to Swansea which is very good for us.

Chelsea also play sunderland and I wounldnt fancy meeting them at the moment either.

Utd play Arsenal and City play Liverpool again soon, a few draws there would do us nicely COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's weird looking at our performances over the last 6 games. We've played Stoke, Sunderland, Chelsea, Norwich, Swansea, and WBA, getting 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss. In those 6 games I think we've managed only 90 minutes of good football, and that was against Norwich. We played well against Stoke and were robbed, but I'm wondering if our form is going to improve or whether the squad is starting to feel tired and this is what we can expect for the next few months.

If we continue to play like we did last night we'll get found out eventually, be it against a top team or another team that parks the bus. We haven't had a shock result against us so far this season (City and maybe Stoke aside) and it's bound to happen at some stage. Performances like last night where we dominate for the most part but are let down by awful passing and crossing into the box can't continue. It's so frustrating watching lovely play up to just outside the box only for a crappy pass to break the whole move down. I realise it's difficult with 11 men behind the ball but that's where patience is required. We should be among the top scorers in the league if Ade or Defoe finished better, or BAE and Walker put better crosses or passes into the box.

The lads have a full week off, assuming Harry rests the majority of the first team this weekend, before getting into 2 games in quick succession. We have a few injuries, and a few coming back so hopefully with both Lennon and Bale back in the team we can get back to the fluid fast-paced play from earlier in the season.

The main thing is that we're still winning. In some cases, like last night, I don't know how, but we walk away with 3 points, and that's all that matters. Who knows, maybe this is our slump and shortly we'll start firing on all cylinders again on our way to the league title!

SuprSi wrote: »
    It's weird looking at our performances over the last 6 games. We've played Stoke, Sunderland, Chelsea, Norwich, Swansea, and WBA, getting 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss. In those 6 games I think we've managed only 90 minutes of good football, and that was against Norwich. We played well against Stoke and were robbed, but I'm wondering if our form is going to improve or whether the squad is starting to feel tired and this is what we can expect for the next few months.

Well said, I was thinking something similar.

Maybe a rest and then having Dawson and Lennon back will feel like new signings (the former anyway) and that will help us kick on for the last 2-3 months.

Either that or we sign Kaka :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeah I was wondering are we going to turn into another Aston Villa (under MON) side, showing great promise in the first half of the year, but eventually fading away. I do think out squad is too strong for that, and without European football in the way we can pretty much concentrate on the league.

THFC wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering are we going to turn into another Aston Villa (under MON) side, showing great promise in the first half of the year, but eventually fading away. I do think out squad is too strong for that, and without European football in the way we can pretty much concentrate on the league.

I think people are being a bit harsh on the team, granted last few performances have not been fantastic but i believe its just a minor blip. IMO we are the real deal and will be back in flying form again in no time. I say enjoy these great times and take wins when we get them, I have said many times before these are the best times we have seen as Spurs fans. COYS!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit harsh on the team, granted last few performances have not been fantastic but i believe its just a minor blip. IMO we are the real deal and will be back in flying form again in no time. I say enjoy these great times and take wins when we get them, I have said many times before these are the best times we have seen as Spurs fans. COYS!!!!

Well said. As i said already, i think we should have made a few changes last night, but who can argue with the result.

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Not every game we play is going to be scintillating football, we're not Barcelona unfortunately.

We've received plenty of plaudits this season, an absolute joy to watch more often.

It's about grinding out results like Utd do every season and coming away with the 3 points and winning titles.

Advertisement