Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

claralara I am so happy for you.

A 2hr half is amazing. And in those conditions! Well done you.

If I could manage a 2hr half in ideal conditions Id be thrilled so you're my hero!!

Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Cheers for all those posts guys – I’ve recovered now without resorting to putting my head in an oven which is a good sign. I think getting over the mental challenge is the best achievement for me out of that one. :)

On another note - as much as I’d like to keep stum, I must say that it wasn’t my first Half… it was my third (the first two of which I actually trained for…)! Kildare was my first last May which I did in 2:04:54 on a bandy ankle which subsequently had me off my feet for 6 weeks. Then I did the Adidas Half in September in 1:58:49 – courtesy of Meno and RQ!! Waterford was my first hard run since South America, bad weather and Christmas beat me down; it felt a million times tougher than the other two HM’s put together! I think most of my issues were around the fact that I couldn’t get Conn out of my head and the thoughts of having to run Saturday twice back-to-back! Anyway I think I’m over it now – time to move on and ‘enjoy’ the rollercoaster for the next 12 weeks!! :rolleyes:

dublogic wrote: »
    Hey Clara - great post - very inspiring - just came in after my Sunday long run and was feeling sorry for myself - still feeling sorry for myself but good to know there are others out there facing similar challenges (I'm doing con too). Are you looking to do a 3:45?

Dublogic my goal is complete Connemara in one solid physical and emotional piece (hopefully in less than 5 hours!) – a 3.45 wouldn’t be on the cards for me even on a pancake course in the foreseeable future. Are you hoping to do a 3.45? Is it your first? Best of luck with your training - the bad days are the most rewarding...;) From the mouth of experience!
    Cabaal wrote: »
    claralara, I woudn't be too hard on yourself to be honest as you said yourself you were going to do the run as a LSR not a race.

The conditions were awful and still as you said yourself you kept with the 2hr pacers, atleast you know now what you need to work on for Connamara and its better you know this now then on the 11th April.

btw I don't think you were the only one who thought the finish was at the gates of the RSC :pac:

Cabaal I actually had to apologise for the profanities that slipped out of my mouth when I saw that track stretching out and got that smack of wind in my poor face!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    Dublogic my goal is complete Connemara in one solid physical and emotional piece

Surely you'd have to be emotionally together at the beginning of the race to achieve this?229.gif

Are you questioning the emotional stability of a possibly emotionally unstable lady?! Dangerous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dublogic

"Are you hoping to do a 3.45? Is it your first?" This will be no. 4 (Dublin, Madrid & Berlin) and training on a 3:45 schedule however I'm not too worried about time. I focus on time in my training as it motivates me (I use the virtual partner on my garmin).

Was looking to do 3:45 for Berlin but enjoyed the crowd and just looking around at Berlin (had never been before) so much I stopped looking at my watch and finished at 3:56 which I was happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Oh lets wait until the taper madness and the constant hungry feeling despite eating every bit of food near you kicks in.

Sure haven't we been all a bit unstable 3 weeks before a marathon. Ah the memories....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

chinguetti wrote: »
    the constant hungry feeling despite eating every bit of food near you kicks in.
    It's still just under 7 weeks to Barcelona and I already have that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I even got complimented on my running style – apparently it’s very ‘energy efficient’...

The Green party may be introducing an incentive for the purchase of your next pair of running shoes.....:D

Are you questioning the emotional stability of a possibly emotionally unstable lady?! Dangerous...

Possibly?, now there's a laugh! :eek:

Lady?:rolleyes:

mrslow wrote: »
    Possibly?, now there's a laugh! :eek:

Lady?:rolleyes:

Took you a while. Typical.
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    The Green party may be introducing an incentive for the purchase of your next pair of running shoes.....:D

I'll get a discount for the A+ rating on my T(rainer).E.R. Cert!

Ah nothing like a nerdy joke..
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Sure haven't we been all a bit unstable 3 weeks before a marathon. Ah the memories....

Nooooo..I have 12 to go! :eek:

• Advertisement

Took you a while. Typical.

25.gif

dublogic wrote: »
    "Are you hoping to do a 3.45? Is it your first?" This will be no. 4 (Dublin, Madrid & Berlin) and training on a 3:45 schedule however I'm not too worried about time. I focus on time in my training as it motivates me (I use the virtual partner on my garmin).

Was looking to do 3:45 for Berlin but enjoyed the crowd and just looking around at Berlin (had never been before) so much I stopped looking at my watch and finished at 3:56 which I was happy with.

Ah sure you're years ahead of me! I reckon if I can get through (and enjoy Conn) then I can pick a marathon to focus on time wise. Fair play in Berlin, I definitely want to do some races on far away lands over the next few years!

Ah sure you're years ahead of me! I reckon if I can get through (and enjoy Conn) then I can pick a marathon to focus on time wise. Fair play in Berlin, I definitely want to do some races on far away lands over the next few years!

I've Rome in my sights!

Right back to training momentarily - that's why we're here I suppose!

Sunday 17th Jan
    - 5.46 miles - Av Pace 9.19
    Met up with the group on their 10mile run and just did the first loop as a recovery after saturday. It was worth the trek over to the park for this because I definitely would have found an excuse not to do it otherwise!

Got the new timetable for the gym yesterday and there's a Pilates class on at 8.30 on Monday evenings which is a perfect time for me so Monday rest days are now Pilates days.

Week 3/14 - The Plan
    Monday Pilates
    Tuesday 4 miles
    Wednesday 6 miles tempo (?!)
    Thursday 4 miles
    Friday Rest
    Saturday LSR 10 miles (plus a short cool down :rolleyes:)
    Sunday 40mins Cross

Monday 18th Jan
    Pilates - first class ever - not really my thing but physio's orders! I think the whole yoga / pilates / meditation vibe completely bypassed me... can't imagine why... :confused: Surely it's my personality to a tee?! Anyway the physio got it in one when she said I needed to work on my core - I couldn't be doing much more than 14 / 15 miles with the back the way it is.

I've Rome in my sights!

26.2 miles buzzing around in the Popemobile...it'd suit you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I've Rome in my sights!

So did Bishop Brennan until he got kicked up the ar5e.......

''Crilly you pr1ck......."

26.2 miles buzzing around in the Popemobile...it'd suit you!

Excuse me?, I was referring to the marathon:rolleyes: try to keep up dear.

Excuse me?, I was referring to the marathon:rolleyes: try to keep up dear.

And I was referring to the fact you'll probably need some sort of motorized vehicle to get you around the 26.2 hilly miles of Rome. Typical. :)

I'm still in work...it's going to be very very easy to talk myself out of these 4 miles tonight. :mad: Hmmm.

And I was referring to the fact you'll probably need some sort of motorized vehicle to get you around the 26.2 hilly miles of Rome. Typical. :)

I'm still in work...it's going to be very very easy to talk myself out of these 4 miles tonight. :mad: Hmmm.

If you turned up for 5 miles after running a rough half you can lash through 4!

Out you go, it'll help to clear the head after a long day in work. :)

• Advertisement

If you turned up for 5 miles after running a rough half you can lash through 4!
    Out you go, it'll help to clear the head after a long day in work. :)

Ok fine! I did it. Thanks Mom, thanks dad... you were right! :cool:

Tuesday 18th Jan
    - 4.61 miles - Av Pace 9.02

Mumsy felt sorry for me being stuck in work late so she came in to collect me and like a good mumsy she brought me in a bag to leave in the gym so I can run into work tomorrow and get it out of the way early. This is the only good thing that has come out of living at home in a long time... :)

Wednesday 19th Jan
    - 7.19 miles – Av Pace 9.00

Thanks to mammy looking after me last night, I only had to run with a small backpack this morning. It was 6miles into the office where I dumped my bag and then did a mile-ish cool down around the block. Although I planned to do one 10minute mile as a cool down, the pace didn’t really drop at all once I lost the bag. As I’ve said before my run into work is handy enough – the first 3miles are fairly downhill and then it’s a flat run into town so even though a 9 min pace is good for me, it doesn’t mean that I was overly pushing it this morning. It was a nice enjoyable early run but my lower back is a little twingy now. I look forward to sitting a desk staring at a computer screen for the day as it tenses up even more..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done you! Beautiful morning for a run despite the chill in the air!

I look forward to sitting a desk staring at a computer screen for the day as it tenses up even more, trying not to breathe in the smell of my own stale sweat:rolleyes:

:P

I look forward to sitting a desk staring at a computer screen for the day as it tenses up even more..:rolleyes:

Are you running the Raheny 5 mile?

Are you running the Raheny 5 mile?

I dunno...LSR is supposed to be 14miles that weekend. And unlike RK, I absolutely do not have it in me to run for an hour and a half and then run a 5 mile race to cool down...

I could do the race and then do a very easy 9 miles after... Hmmm.

I must also bear in mind that I will be consuming a few beverages on the night of Saturday 29th.

Decisions decisions. What does your book say on the matter?! :rolleyes:

Thursday 21st Jan
    - 4.11 miles - Av Pace 8.49
    Managed to sneak out at lunchtime for this because I knew I wouldn't do it later as I have people to meet and food and drink to consume! I had planned 4 easy 10 min miles but town is so flat I just went with it...Plus I had to get back to the desk and continue the trend of letting every muscle in my body seize up while I breath in the stench of my stale sweat*. :)

* It's a tactic - I'm hoping I get sent home early to take a shower as my presence ruins the productivity of everyone around me! Mwah ha ha ha!

I dunno...LSR is supposed to be 14miles that weekend. And unlike RK, I absolutely do not have it in me to run for an hour and a half and then run a 5 mile race to cool down...

I could do the race and then do a very easy 9 miles after... Hmmm.

I must also bear in mind that I will be consuming a few beverages on the night of Saturday 29th.

Decisions decisions. What does your book say on the matter?! :rolleyes:

Thursday 21st Jan
    - 4.11 miles - Av Pace 8.49
    Managed to sneak out at lunchtime for this because I knew I wouldn't do it later as I have people to meet and food and drink to consume! I had planned 4 easy 10 min miles but town is so flat I just went with it...Plus I had to get back to the desk and continue the trend of letting every muscle in my body seize up while I breath in the stench of my stale sweat*. :)

* It's a tactic - I'm hoping I get sent home early to take a shower as my presence ruins the productivity of everyone around me! Mwah ha ha ha!

My book says ' Don't be such a wimp - sign up or else' , Page 4 I think;)

LSR on Saturday then. :pac:

I absolutely do not have it in me to run for an hour while I breath in the stench of my stale sweat

You've done that on every run we've been on together, myself and Digger always stay up wind of you.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

LSR on Saturday then. :pac:

That's waht I'll be doing. 20 on the saturday morning and the race the following day...hope it doesn't affect my performace too much.

ClaraLara, you could also do the LSR midweek/friday evening and be well rested for the race. Just swap the 5 miler for your midweek speed session...

Advertisement