Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

I would definitely think that is a scam.

They dont use the term "winner".

I dont know what the official email or website notification looks like these days - i got the notification as a letter from Kentucky Consular. They didnt use the term winner.

Also, that statement about moving anytime to the states is completely wrong. You have to move over within a year (or two depending on that strategy you choose). And have to live in the US over 6 months a year.

Ha ha!!! and that crap about the US government helping get health insurance and jobs and living and education is also complete BS - i think. They do nothing for you.

And if it is asking for money now then it is definitely a scam. You only pay at the interview - if you end up getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

thenobody wrote: »
    I would definitely think that is a scam.

They dont use the term "winner".

I dont know what the official email or website notification looks like these days - i got the notification as a letter from Kentucky Consular. They didnt use the term winner.

Also, that statement about moving anytime to the states is completely wrong. You have to move over within a year (or two depending on that strategy you choose). And have to live in the US over 6 months a year.

Ha ha!!! and that crap about the US government helping get health insurance and jobs and living and education is also complete BS - i think. They do nothing for you.

And if it is asking for money now then it is definitely a scam. You only pay at the interview - if you end up getting one.

Thanks, Im gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The fees must be paid using Western Union money transfer and will be processed by the U.S. embassy in the United Kingdom.
    Western Union is a leading provider of International person-to-person money transfer. With more than 150 years experience and 245,000 Agent locations in over 200 countries and territories, Western Union is recognized for sending money quickly, reliably, and safety.
    You can send the payment in U.S. dollars or equivalent of your local currency.

Click on the following link to find the nearest Western Union agency and send the fees payment :
    Find Western Union Agency
    If you are unable to find a Western Union agency near your location, you may ask a relative or friend to pay the fee on your behalf.

After you find a Western Union agency you need to go with cash money, an identity card(e.g passport or national identity card) and send the payment to the U.S. embassy agent address in United Kingdom:

Name : Neil Pinkerton
    Address: 24 Grosvenor Square
    London, W1A 1AE
    United Kingdom

The payment must be sent to the above U.S. embassy agent address in United Kingdom because the U.S. Department of State decided this based on the diplomatic relations with your country.

THIS IS HOW THAT SAY TO PAY?
    Thinking it was fishy alright.

Ha!!
    Well thats obvious now.

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I am still a bit away from being eligible for the DV lottery but as I want to enlist in the USAF,I am curious as to how it works.
    Here are my questions;
    Is it possible to enter before doing the leaving cert and get your results and still be eligible?
    Can you enter "offline"?
    According to wikipedia,one country can have no more than 7%,and this decreases with the number of applicants and general popularity,considering the amount of Irish people who have emigrated does this mean we only get a ridiculously low amount?
    It's annoying to say the least to have to base your dreams and future on a lottery.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Honestly just forget about it.
    If you are that young and that inexperienced and without having completed education there would be little hope. You can apply of course without the leaving cert. Just need to have passed it before the interview. But just cos you have that will not mean you get it. You will need to prove a lot more and show you have good chances of getting jobs etc. Just out of school with just a leaving cert wont be encouraging to them. But really in this world these days you are going to have to go to college. Nowadays even degrees are worth nothing. Its Masters companies are looking for.
    And there certainly would be no hope without the lottery route.
    Sorry to be so brutal but that really is the fact of it.
    Just apply to the lottery thing each october, then go about your life and just forget about it. Check the results and deal with it then.

I tried forgetting about it, but completely fell of the road academically as I had nothing to work for.
    Considering I plan on enlisting ASAP I don't plan on applying for a job that's anymore important then to sustain myself through a recruitment freeze,as the USAF jobs I would be eligible for fill up fast.
    I know it seems like nothing more then a far-fetched dream to you,that doesn't apply to me.

Well if its what you want, then good luck to you.

Thank you

Is the interview date the same every year?

• Advertisement

Is the interview date the same every year?

Depends on your case number. They start in sept of same year and go to July following year. Generally eu case numbers to around 10000 would be same year. Above that would be follow year.
    You don't know if you have been granted the interview until your case number range is released. These are done each month and you hear about your interview about 6 weeks in advance.
    The rest of the thread has all the info about this

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

I am still a bit away from being eligible for the DV lottery but as I want to enlist in the USAF,I am curious as to how it works.
    Here are my questions;
    Is it possible to enter before doing the leaving cert and get your results and still be eligible?
    Can you enter "offline"?
    According to wikipedia,one country can have no more than 7%,and this decreases with the number of applicants and general popularity,considering the amount of Irish people who have emigrated does this mean we only get a ridiculously low amount?
    It's annoying to say the least to have to base your dreams and future on a lottery.
    Thanks in advance.

You do realise you would have to renounce your Irish citizenship to get security clearance in the USAF. Something to consider carefully.

I am aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

you have to be resident of the states for a number of years before joining the airforce,its a tough road and you would be better to concentrate on the Irish aircorp as a route to flying as I think your chances of usaf are very very slim.
    Sorry to be blunt but if your keen on a military career in the states the marine corp is your best option with a possibility of transferring to the usaf at a later stage.

I have never come across a residency requirement during my research.A link would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to be a nag but I don't want to waste my time by not meeting the requirements.
    If I do my leaving cert in June and get my results in august (17th I think),could I get my results in time for the interview,or maybe even change the date (I highly doubt they would).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Sorry to be a nag but I don't want to waste my time by not meeting the requirements.
    If I do my leaving cert in June and get my results in august (17th I think),could I get my results in time for the interview,or maybe even change the date (I highly doubt they would).

Nearly 100% sure you just need the green card to enlist, there's no set amount of years you need to have been a resident. After 1 year active duty service you're eligible for citizenship and then you could apply to OTS if you wanted to become an officer.

You probably already know, but since you'll be enlisting as a permanent resident, not as a citizen, there's a really limited amount of jobs you'll be eligible for. I guess if you got the citizenship and finished a 4/6 year enlistment you could cross train into a different job.

Your think the US navy/army are limited,you ain't seen sh##,the most exciting acronym you are eligible for is HVAC.(heating,ventilation,air conditioning).
    I plan on going for USAFA LEAD after I get citizenship which doesn't take more than a year.This is dependant on the DV lottery though.

Your think the US navy/army are limited,you ain't seen sh##,the most exciting acronym you are eligible for is HVAC.(heating,ventilation,air conditioning).
    I plan on going for USAFA LEAD after I get citizenship which doesn't take more than a year.This is dependant on the DV lottery though.
    It's just not as easy as you think,first it's a lottery and the amount of visas issued to Ireland this year is less than last year.
    Getting into the airforce is tough,how are your physics and maths good I hope but they need to be great.
    It is all conditional on your unit commander and your progress,can you cut the mustard in the regular infantry as it's no pushover.
    Focus on the Irish aircorp if you ate keen to fly you could have a good shot at the interviews.

I think I could qualify for the usafa lead program,but that still dependant on odds that are appalling.(D
    not forgetting the numerous AFROTC programs for enlisted available.
    Still though I guess I have to give it my best shot and just roll with the dice.After all you can't win if you don't play!

• Advertisement

I think I could qualify for the usafa lead program,but that still dependant on odds that are appalling.(D
    not forgetting the numerous AFROTC programs for enlisted available.
    Still though I guess I have to give it my best shot and just roll with the dice.After all you can't win if you don't play!

Good attitude and if you really want it follow it no matter what you can achieve things,just keep your options open and listen to people who have gone through it or similar.
    Best of luck

Thank you,sincerely.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Your stubbornness is commendable, if you want something bad enough I am sure you can make it happen. Good luck to you!

That's my idea,never take no for an answer!

If it turns out my interview is before my results come out could they move my interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Hey guys,im just reading here about the leaving cert needed to get a visa,is this just for the lotto visa or for all american visas??

im currently looking at trying to move to america and to find work there but i only have completed my junior cert which i passed,im 28 years old.im new to the whole visa thing and im trying to find out any informations i can

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Hey guys,im just reading here about the leaving cert needed to get a visa,is this just for the lotto visa or for all american visas??

im currently looking at trying to move to america and to find work there but i only have completed my junior cert which i passed,im 28 years old.im new to the whole visa thing and im trying to find out any informations i can

I would think it applies to all and probably even higher requirements. Your chances will be significantly reduced and processing time increase by lack of qualifications and experience.
    Be very hard to find a visa to just get to the states and look for a job.
    More like to have a job sponsor you to bring you over.
    I know a few people who have been turned down visas when their work was looking for them to go to the states because they did not have a degree. Others in the group who had degrees got to go, those without had to stay behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Technically the 12 years of education/ Leaving cert is just for the DV lottery, realistically work visas usually need a Masters, especially in these though economic times. An exception would be if you are highly skilled in a very specific area- for example a work friend of mine without the Leaving got a visa to play church organs in the USA because he had 10+ years experience and had given concerts etc. Not sure if he got a work or artists visa though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭spirityboy

seriously considering applying. I'm 35, married no kids and hanve a degree in business. so education wise i should be ok.

1)can I ask are there age limits for applicants?

2)Would it matter if my husband was unemployed for the last 2 years when we applied?

3) the statement of means, like most people I dont have much in the bank here, have a mortgage that luckly i'm able to pay and a few other small debts, nothing i cant currently handle. I have friends in the US that would be willing to let us stay with them in their spare room for a a month or two til we found our feet. am i right in thinking that should we be successful then we have 6 months after the granting to actually travel to the US? would we need to have a job in the US by then? so basically apply for work from Ireland and hope we're successful in securing that job with the 6 month time frame? or do we simply need to travel to the US within that 6 montsh to activate the visa?

4) could i apply for any job and not just the one you are qualified at? so basically in needs be try get a job in Walmart or Fatso Burger or what ever? until something more suitable came along?

• Advertisement

Just apply for its. Opens Oct 4th. Its free. Then forget about it and move on and deal with anything if you ever get chosen (unlikely).

No age limits. Doesnt matter if unemployed - you need the money, job offer there or affadvit of support.
    It also doesnt matter about circumstances at when you applied. It is about the time when you do the interview.
    Friends in US willing to let you stay wont mean anything.
    You need to travel to us to activate the greencard process. then generally have to move over within six months after that. I certainly wouldnt leave it that close on timelines.
    You are better off being in the states to get a job. Be very very difficult to get one from Ireland unless in same company or through familiar connections.
    You can get any job (with exceptions of citizenship required of course). What you do after you have been accepted for greencard is up to you. You can go over and never work at all - provided you have enough money to do that.

Advertisement