Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Any idea what size download it's likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

its 970mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Will it be "Over the Air" too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

srumball wrote: »
    its 970mb

Thanks. That's an all-nighter for my internet connection so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

naasrd wrote: »
    Will it be "Over the Air" too?

Yes it's supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

I remember getting the update for iOS5 handy enough on release date. I think I put it down to the fact I already had the iTunes update downloaded and was using the uni internet, so it was pretty good.

As I have an iPhone4, would I not have a smaller update to download as I don't have Siri and all the updates that will go with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I have the GM version on my phone. Will the phone suggest an update OTA for me or will it tell me that I am running the latest software meaning if I wish to get the official release I will have to do a RESTORE via iTunes, as opposed to a software update.

Cheers....

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yes it's supposed to be.

Right, good luck everyone. Look forward to checking back in as soon I get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple's maps are an absolute disaster! I think I may have to hold off upgrading my iPhone until Google release a standalone app. The web version isn't an acceptable alternative and I have a funny feeling Google might delay the app as long as possible. I would strongly encourage anyone who relies on the Maps app to think twice before upgrading.

And remember to make sure you have enough spare memory available on your device! Around a 1g just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Available now on my iPad over the air. Downloading quickly, started at About 10 minutes remaining and immediately dropped to 7 minutes /thinly veiled boast about 50MB FTTH line

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's just become available on iTunes for my iTouch G4, downloading now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

Downloaded fine to my iphone 4s, great upgrade..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Still not showing ota on my iPhone 4 or 4s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'm on 5 mins remaining here, although I remember going to iOS 5 that it told me a few minutes but the last minute was about 20 mins long.

Maybe their new server farm will have fixed that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dannyc1

Downloading mine now too, probably take about 2hrs to download...damn eircom lol

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

On the way:) 17 mins remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ios6.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Have to leave home and don't want to leave home without the phone. It'll be a few hours before I get to download it but I have my mam's phone updating now so I'll get to get used to it while my own is downloading. Maybe the delay will allow my download to go quicker later on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

L5 wrote: »
    Still not showing ota on my iPhone 4 or 4s

Hi, Download with itunes, its quicker and available there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

My update just jumped from 22 minutes to 1 hour :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭guil

prob won't download if you have the GM, restore in itunes to get the final release

Download complete, backing up device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Is Apple Maps really that bad?

Might not bother if they're just terrible, I love the maps app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Is there anything other than Google maps that will be removed if you update? I haven't heard anything about this! :eek:

(Didn't think I was, but must off be living under a rock!? Or have Apple conveniently not publicised this?)

P.S. Using Iphone 4 not 4s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Stuck on 23 minutes. (now at 24 actually following writing this up)

Hmmm, when will big commercial companies start using p2p for this sort of thing? It would be of huge benefit, though you'd probably get people seeding bad data, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

dorkacle wrote: »
    Is there anything other than Google maps that will be removed if you update? I haven't heard anything about this! :eek:

(Didn't think I was, but must off be living under a rock!? Or have Apple conveniently not publicised this?)

P.S. Using Iphone 4 not 4s :)

The native Youtube App is also going...but its already been replaced by an improved one that went live last week in the App Store (few useful features missing from it though - like 'history').

Can anybody who is now using iOS6 comment on the new Maps App? I've read that its particularly lacking in detail for Ireland. Annoying too is the removal of Google Streetview in iOS6. I found Streetview a very handy feature for identifying addresses/shops that I hadn't been to before.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

updating mine at the moment 24 mins have a feeling prob take longer

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

Any apps with passbook work here

• Advertisement

Finished, it took just over 30 minutes to download to iTunes and apply to the iTouch.

Advertisement