Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year Eve in Dublin

• 26-12-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all. I would like to get some suggestions of places where i could step into the new year in style. I am a non-drinker and have no family in dublin. This is my first Christmas and New year away from home. I just spent Christmas with my housemate's family ( which was cool:)) but i do not want to do that again on new years as i would feel like raiding their private space!! My friends are my only classmates and they all have their individual plans. Is there like a carnival or something like that that takes place?? pls help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hate to bring a downer on it, but NYE in Dublin is usually pretty dire, best spent at a house party with mates somewhere if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

http://nyedublin.ie/full-schedule/ this pretty much sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yeah we lack any genuine creativity for NY's and it's definitely best to spend it with some friends or family and tbh I doubt any friends would mind having a friend with them at their family home during it.

Although there is some concert thing on in College Green, Riverdance etc. Not sure what the ticket pricing is like but you could check it out maybe. Other than that it's just like any other night in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Maybe go to that concert at college green. Tickets are cheap enough I think. And afterwards you could head up to christchurch for the ringing in of the new year.
    As others have said though - maybe try to find out if any of your friends are having a house party and head along. I'm sure you could have fun without drinking

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

tickets are 10e for the college green festival.

also there is a gospel choir in christchuch, which sounds great - not sure of the price of the tickets but i like the atmosphere around christchurch for bells at midnight.

there is a concert/ session in Vicar Street and the Guiness Hop Store.

there is a gala in the National Concert Hall

there is quite a lot happening around the city - check this link http://www.dublinnewyearfestival.com/category/nightime-events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Hop on the 747 and when you get off get on the first flight out of Ireland for the night. There is actually nowhere worse to be on NYE. I'm nearly crying that I can't get away for it this year. Want to sleep through it, but my bf insists that I have to go out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Jaysis it's bad but I wouldnt be as suicidal about as some of you miserable fukcs are...

Dont waste your time going somewhere you know you'll regret. Don't pay in anywhere or go to anywhere you know you'll have to queue a minimum of 10-15mins for a drink. Don't make it the most important night of your year. People that go out and need to have the best night of the year to be content, deserve just the opposite.

imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 smartkid

Thanks all for the replies;)

bc dub wrote: »
    Jaysis it's bad but I wouldnt be as suicidal about as some of you miserable fukcs are...

Dont waste your time going somewhere you know you'll regret. Don't pay in anywhere or go to anywhere you know you'll have to queue a minimum of 10-15mins for a drink. Don't make it the most important night of your year. People that go out and need to have the best night of the year to be content, deserve just the opposite.

imo

I suppose that's a good rule of thumb for someone that "doesn't drink" isn't it? ;)

I wouldn't say people are being miserable at all. My first thought is the agro around town on the night, if you go to town of course. Crazy queues everywhere. Not sure there'd be many if any bars you'd go to that wouldn't have a long wait. Taxi drivers although not allowed - DO - try and hike the fair. That's after the hassle you have of getting one.

I remember being in Cardiff on a NYE, nice club, nice staff, busy but not long at eh bar. I remember leaving thinking how are we going to get a taxi. So we are greeted by Police manning the queues making sure they ran smoothly with no agro. None.

Poland then, organised nights where only a certain amount of tickets are sold for clubs, restaurants, etc. No pay at the door stuff. A safe amount of people allowed into the buildings to enjoy the night without it being way overcrowded. In addition they go on late, mine 5am. Others vary.

Our set up is shít. Overcrowded clubs, understaffed sa lot too. Go to maybe one or two late bars that are only so late with special hotel licenses etc. Yeah go down your local maybe not as busy. But yes we are a lifetime behind when it comes to celebrations for it. Bells of Christchurch? I'm sure they were popular in the 1100s. Other than that, maybe a few concerts, what is there to do? What about a community or "togetherness" spirit you see elsewhere?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343000/New-Year-2011-London-sees-New-Year-display-Thames.html

Instead we've no proper organisation for such crowds, amenities for them all to go to centrally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blue Lips

Are there fireworks for NYE? If so wheres the best place to watch them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Is it anything special, NYE in Temple Bar? Is there any pub/club open after 2.30-3.00 on that night?

Cos going to bed at 3 doesnt really appeal much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Jay D wrote: »
    Taxi drivers although not allowed - DO - try and hike the fair. That's after the hassle you have of getting one.

Actually they are allowed to raise the prices on NYE. When was the last time there was hassle getting a taxi on a busy night out (except for during really bad weather)?

markpb wrote: »
    Actually they are allowed to raise the prices on NYE. When was the last time there was hassle getting a taxi on a busy night out (except for during really bad weather)?

I was told by a few taxi drivers it was only Christmas that counted? I'll stand corrected but even still is it worth it? The last time like you say was that night it started snowing last year. I ended up staying in friend's place in town thank God. I was never one for queues in town anyway I always walk the Wood Quay direction for taxi if on south side,

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Hi as a non-drinker you could try The Funky Seomra

http://www.dancefree.ie/

Other than that Christchurch as someone mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

first new years in 7 years me and my friends will be in dublin for it, we always got out and had a weekedn in galway/westport/carrick on shannon etc.

In dire need of suggestions for tomorrow night, some people have told us its dead, other say mental. the lads would be into their indie/rock tunes before falling into a club. thought whelans but its tickets apparently. need somewhere we can just show up on the door tomorrow, very unorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

From the several times I have been out in the city centre on NYE, there has tonnes of drunk people everywhere. Especially 2 years ago when they decided to cancel the nitelinks due to the ice and taxi was near impossible to get.

Will be at The Pint on Eden quay for a decent rock/metal night. €5 entry. There will be a good crowd, hopefully not too packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Blue Lips wrote: »
    Are there fireworks for NYE? If so wheres the best place to watch them?

Bringing my girlfriend to Dublin for her first New Year's here. (and my first NYE in Dublin for years as well). Any fireworks? Also wondering, best place for trad seisiuns? (Temple Bar aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Bringing my girlfriend to Dublin for her first New Year's here. (and my first NYE in Dublin for years as well). Any fireworks? Also wondering, best place for trad seisiuns? (Temple Bar aside)

Cobblestone in Smithfield or o'donoghues on Baggott Street

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

So, any fireworks in Dublin at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Was a few from Dublin Castle, visible from Christchurch where myself and my girlfriend chugged a bottle of bubbly. Happy New Year y'all, cracking open another bottle of wine
    at home. Btw, no trouble with hooligans, no queues for that matter either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Birneybau wrote: »
    Was a few from Dublin Castle, visible from Christchurch where myself and my girlfriend chugged a bottle of bubbly. Happy New Year y'all, cracking open another bottle of wine
    at home. Btw, no trouble with hooligans, no queues for that matter either.

Ya can't imagine there would be queues to see the Coronas and Damo Dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

NickDrake wrote: »
    Ya can't imagine there would be queues to see the Coronas and Damo Dempsey

Didn't go near College Green, strolled down to Christchurch from home at 11:30...

Advertisement