Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Depends what weapons you want to use, if you go dex you want like 12-14 Str for the Uchigatana or Balder Side Sword

But yeah one handing a halberd is generally a crappy idea in general I would think

I one handed the black knight halberd for most of the game , found it good as it kept me out of reach of a lot of attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I one handed the black knight halberd for most of the game , found it good as it kept me out of reach of a lot of attacks

Fair enough, evidently it works :pac: Definitely wouldn't suit me

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I found it great too, used it once I could one hand it to the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Guys, does the prepare to die edition have the dlc on the disk or just a code? Are saves compatible between this and a digital version of the original?
    I just played ng+ upto O&S (OMFG!) and have decided to restart ng and play the dlc soon.

sweetie wrote: »
    Guys, does the prepare to die edition have the dlc on the disk or just a code? Are saves compatible between this and a digital version of the original?
    I just played ng+ upto O&S (OMFG!) and have decided to restart ng and play the dlc soon.

DLC is on the disc, not sure about saves working though. I would 'assume' it would work using a standard version save going into the prepare to die edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sweetie wrote: »

standard saves dont transfer over to the dlc disc game

I tried it a few years ago and it didn't work had to restart all over again :(
    unless they patched it or something it was quite a while ago

2Mad2BeMad wrote:
    standard saves dont transfer over to the dlc disc game

Tis grand, I fcuked it up on my first play through and need to do a replay anyhow.

O&S still making me **** bricks when I meet them :(

The Dark Wood Grain Ring takes a lot of getting used to as well.

If we've any regulars, how did you find the Balder Side Sword? The damage for me is prertty lacklustre at +14 with 40 Dex, not getting it.

In other news, the Cheat Engine on PC is a glorious invention, it saves farming Souls and Titanite so much. Waiting until you can buy the item or are in a place to farm it before cheating it in keeps balance, but saves having to farm for hours for Chunks and Slabs from Darkwraiths.

Strongly considering doing a Hyper Aggression and then a Random Weapon (new weapon every seven seconds) run, and possibly a mix of both.

And a true hybrid.

And a fist wizard.

This cheat engine is making me so much more arsed to play.

Had a few fantastic moments against Twinks, parry a hollow when I'm invaded so he sees me do 200 dmg or something, thinks he's in for an easy run, switch to Unarmed and hit him with 14,000 dmg on full Havel's :pac: Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The BSS is more about the move set than the damage. Just buff it and the flat damage bonus is per hit so DPS evens it out with the heavy hitters.

Have you tried a DEX/INT stealth build? Fog Ring/Hidden body and Slumbering Dragon Ring/Hush with a fast weapon buffed with Great Magic Weapon. Had great craic with that on my last run through DkS and it really makes for a different playstyle. Am doing it for my first run in DkS3 I enjoyed it so much.

I've been terribly boring in this game, probably 4-5 Uchi runs, half a sorcerer run, half a miracle run (hate Fth builds), have done a SL1, a two handed only, BBS is almost finished and i think I've done a str run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I wish there was a remaster for current generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I wish there was a remaster for current generation.

Give it a couple of years...

Next gen maybe, can't see the PS4 getting one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Today is Dark Souls "Global Restart Day" if anyone fancies starting a new character and playing with other people.

http://www.pcgamer.com/today-is-the-dark-souls-global-restart-day/

Started again with a sorcerer, and I also know how to parry fairly well... if this isn't easy mode I don't know what it.

Reached, and beat the Gargoyles in 33 minutes. New record for me, was following a bit of a guide so could bring it under 25 if I left out the Crimson Set in Blighttown and bothered running places instead of jogging bit I'm happy with it, my best time so far.

My fastest all boss run is a little under 12 hours and my fastest to O&S is 4 hours, so it's looking like I'll be able to beat those times here.

But Christ is the sorcerer OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Started again with a sorcerer, and I also know how to parry fairly well... if this isn't easy mode I don't know what it.

Reached, and beat the Gargoyles in 33 minutes. New record for me, was following a bit of a guide so could bring it under 25 if I left out the Crimson Set in Blighttown and bothered running places instead of jogging bit I'm happy with it, my best time so far.

My fastest all boss run is a little under 12 hours and my fastest to O&S is 4 hours, so it's looking like I'll be able to beat those times here.

But Christ is the sorcerer OP

My first run was a sorcerer build. I found it a struggle all the way to the catacombs. Then gave up and restarted.
    What spells and weapons are you using?

Was rocking all the default gear, now wearing the Crimson Set, swinging a Longsword and parrying with the Small Leather Shield. I have 2 Soul Arrows equipped and that's it.

I've put 1 point into Strength to use the Longsword and everything else into Int (it's at 31 now) so I'm a glass cannon at the minute, will probably remain that way until I reach Anor Londo.

My general strat is to use the Catalyst in one hand and sword in the other, as I never really use a Catalyst with a Shield, so I can either shield and sword or sword and spell, works fairly well for my style.

I've done Naked runs, SL1 and a hat of Light Dex runs so I'm fairly adept at dodging, which is probably a lot to do with why I'm flying as opposed to a new player who wouldn't have the timing, tricks and enemy strategies off the bat. Also, parrying is a godsend in the early stages if you know how.

I was a big fan of the Gold Hemmed set, used to regularly swap in parts of it for certain areas when fire or poison resistance was needed, in fact I think I wore the skirt for most of the game with heavier pieces from other sets to keep me underweight.

Edit: Reminds me that dark souls 1 was the only game in the series where I had to swap gear for resistances, 2 and 3 never felt like I had to 90% of the time. I could battle though it so to speak.

On hols till Wednesday and diving back into this for a play through inc the dlc. Can't wait!

What console sweetie?

Gold Hemmed set is one of my all time favourites, but ninja flipping in it just ain't right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm gonna pick this up for PS3. The original is available second-hand in a nearby store, but should I hold off and pick up the Prepare to Die edition online? I heard there was some frame-rate trouble with the original. Was that sorted with PTD?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get the prepare to die edition. There's no reason to get the regular edition.

They didn't fix the framerate issues but the prepare to die edition has the Artorius of the Abyss add on which is absolutely essential and is on of the, if not the best examples of how to do a DLC add on.

Frame rate issues in one area only, it's still playable.

AoTA is fantastic, definitely get the PTD Edition

Great, thanks.

Can the DLC still be purchased through the PS Store?

I'm so bloody impatient. I just want to play this game today! :mad:

Yeah but it's €15, I doubt you're paying much more for the base? Normally the PTD is about the same price as the base anyways.

I'll stop posting spoilers for you ;)

Yeah but it's €15, I doubt you're paying much more for the base? Normally the PTD is about the same price as the base anyways.

I'll stop posting spoilers for you ;)

The base is actually €25 in both CeX and Gamestop. I'm surprised by how well it's held its value.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    The base is actually €25 in both CeX and Gamestop. I'm surprised by how well it's held its value.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=3391891964562#.V2vOJTPTVnE

€28 for PTD

There's a good reason for it holding its value

A brand new PS Essentials edition of PTD is €28 on Amazon, including postage. I'll go for that but it won't be here until next week!! Ahhhhhh! I have a four-day weekend that I wanted to spend in Lordran!

I really shouldn't be complaining as I still have the final two bosses of Bloodborne to go, along with all of The Old Hunters. But that game has really gotten under my skin and I need a break. I never accepted the transition from werewolves to gooey, bug-eyed cosmic entities.

I had read plenty of reviews so I knew the Lovecraft influence became more prominent as the game progressed, and as a Lovecraft fan I couldn't wait. However it deeply unsettled me when it arrived. In fact it almost ruined the game for me because it was just so unnerving.

Those things clinging to the building are utterly horrendous.

The Amygdala? They're pretty freaky alright.

Genuinely, you could spend 4 days trying to fight the Orphan of Kos from the DLC, that lad is possibly the hardest Souls boss imo

• Advertisement

The Amygdala? They're pretty freaky alright.

Genuinely, you could spend 4 days trying to fight the Orphan of Kos from the DLC, that lad is possibly the hardest Souls boss imo

Yep, the Amygdala. Truly awful.

I noticed that I was finding it hard to summon in the areas that I felt were the creepiest (or just most disgusting), like The Nightmare Frontier and Yahar'Gul. So I suspect I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Yeah I can't wait to get stuck into Dark Souls. Some of the bosses look ridiculously difficult. Although I have no reservations about summoning whatsoever. 10 attempts is all I allow myself. It's a gang bang after that.

Edit: Sorry, I misread you there. I see that The Orphan of Kos is from The Old Hunters. I'm dreading it!

Advertisement