Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leap Castle - weird photo

• 30-07-2010 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I visited Leap Castle in Co.Offaly for the first time yesterday and took a couple of photos. One in particular has been playing on my mind. Although I do believe in ghosts that was not the main reason for going to the castle (more historic, etc.) nor did I expect anything whatsoever to happen whilst there. The owner gave us a bit of a history lesson first (never once mentioning ghosts or anything paranormal) and then he showed us around. It was in a room known as the Bloody Chapel that the attached was taken, and it was only when we got up there that the owner told us a tiny bit about the spirits in the house. He mentioned two young girls that are frequently seen by the family, and about 2 mins later I took the photo.

I used a basic digital camera (Fujifilm, 6.3 Mega Pixels). I've looked at the photo about 20 times now and I'm not sure if it's just the rocks in the wall or my old camera or just me being a nutter, but I can clearly see a figure of what looks like a girl (under the arch, to the right) and the face of what seems to be a smaller girl in front of her.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Majestic 12

Hi sadhbhc15,

I csn actually see what looks like a number of faces in that picture, including one with Angelina Jolie type lips on the wall to the left of the door.

But I think it's a case of Pareidolia: http://www.skepdic.com/pareidol.html

It's where people see faces in inanimate objects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Thanks for reply Majestic 12. Yeah I agree you could find "faces" forever in the walls but that's just the way the stones are, plus 700+ years of wear and tear! I mean just inside the doorway / arch, to the right, though - am I going mad or is there what looks like a pale figure there :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Any combination of three dots or shapes can be made to seem like a face, were programmed to see that. (As explained by the paradolia link above).

I can see about 20 different 'faces' if I look. And some orbs.;) I dont think it means anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hi All
    I took the attached photo earlier this year and thought I'd post it here as it is a good example of pareidolia (which, by the way, I'd never heard of before, so thanks for the link above). We cleared out this area to lay a small patio-the low wall where the figure is drystone which the previous owner covered with a kind of rough cement. What do ye think? Pareidolia or evil fairy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Majestic 12

fifilarue wrote: »
    Hi All
    I took the attached photo earlier this year and thought I'd post it here as it is a good example of pareidolia (which, by the way, I'd never heard of before, so thanks for the link above). We cleared out this area to lay a small patio-the low wall where the figure is drystone which the previous owner covered with a kind of rough cement. What do ye think? Pareidolia or evil fairy?

That's brilliant!! It really looks as if some poor little troll type being has been turned to stone!

Maybe the Budda cast a spell on him.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's brilliant!! It really looks as if some poor little troll type being has been turned to stone!

Maybe the Budda cast a spell on him.......:rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

I can see what looks like a girl in the doorway.. not sure about the extra face. When i zoom in I cant really see it that much. but certainly when i first looked at the photo i could see something. could be optical illusion and Pareidolia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

rainyrun wrote: »
    . could be optical illusion and Pareidolia

It is

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Can someone point out to me where these faces are in the first picture? I can't see a thing :confused:

I can see a missile .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

aidoh wrote: »
    Can someone point out to me where these faces are in the first picture? I can't see a thing :confused:

there are none!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I dont see anything in the buddha pic either:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Im sorry I cant see anything either

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

fifilarue wrote: »
    Hi All

Underneath Captain Birdseye (for want of a better name) I see something like a small baby's head and further to the right what looks like a bird eating insects out of the wall (grey stone) does anybody else see the same ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I can't see anything in both pictures.

Here's a close up with the arrow pointing to the 'head'.
    Scawgeen-I can't see anything else there myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

When iI was on the way down to dingle before I saw a moutain and it had a face on the side of it, there WAS a face, but it wasn't a ghost. Is the picture above always like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Back from Leap Castle investigation, nothing paranormal happened but have to check sound recordings for EVPs.. I slept on a chair from 5:45 to 7 am... so my backs still aching, it was worth the trip even knowing in advance that we could vey likely strike out. I have to listen to recordings later. Has anyone out there had any joy with Leap?

Heading up there next month looking forward to it..Id say tis worth it just to see the place is it Not2good!! Shame ye didn't get anything but sure nine times out of 10 you dont

My 'boards name' says it all I guess! The Chapel at the top is COLD so be prepared! I was testing an old tape recorder with external mic as well as a modern voice recorder. Unfortunately nothing was recorded on the former and no EVP so far on the digital voice recorder, I'll keep on listening on digital voice recorder… good luck with your investigation …
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Heading up there next month looking forward to it..Id say tis worth it just to see the place is it Not2good!! Shame ye didn't get anything but sure nine times out of 10 you dont

• Advertisement

thank you I will pack a the jacket then for the church.. Ah twill be a decant weekend away if anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Not2Good wrote:
    Back from Leap Castle investigation, nothing paranormal happened but have to check sound recordings for EVPs.. I slept on a chair from 5:45 to 7 am... so my backs still aching, it was worth the trip even knowing in advance that we could vey likely strike out. I have to listen to recordings later. Has anyone out there had any joy with Leap?

I love investigating Leap, amazing place. Rarely does anything unusual happen, just soaking up the atmosphere is good enough for me, plus Seàn is a legend. I've heard strange sounds and knockings, and during our first stay there, the plaster was coming off of the walls in the Gallery Room and landing on the table, as though it was being picked off and thrown. Probably a completely logical explanation for this, interesting all the same!

Yeah quite an impressive building, great you had some experience,there..
    I love investigating Leap, amazing place. Rarely does anything unusual happen, just soaking up the atmosphere is good enough for me, plus Seàn is a legend. I've heard strange sounds and knockings, and during our first stay there, the plaster was coming off of the walls in the Gallery Room and landing on the table, as though it was being picked off and thrown. Probably a completely logical explanation for this, interesting all the same!

Not2Good wrote: »
    My 'boards name' says it all I guess! …

I agree with your name. Not going to go into specifics as i always come across as negative :cool:

Just back from leap! we got one interesting evp but must say the place was very quiet and not very spooky at all at all..great castle

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yemowt

The poster has closed their account but this is just some information for anybody looking at the thread at his point.

That place was said to have a demonic ritual done in there in front of many people. There is a small hole in the corner too, down there was there people were left to starve and die. Nobody cleaned out the place and just left the corpses there when the castle was in proper use.

Just some information I thought I would put in :)

Advertisement