Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playing with Google Now

• 01-01-2013 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Any good uses so far?
    I've trained mine to give me directions and time it'll take to get home or to work in current traffic. I did this by setting home and work in My Places in Google Maps.

Also, I searched man utd's fixture list a few times and now it gives me live scores and fixtures.

Another one was using my gmail to book flights. It picks up the flight number and gives live details. When me mate was flying over, I emailed the flight details to me self and that works too. Probably could have just googled the flight number either .

Any other tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

im intrigued, what exactly is it?

i feel such a gimp, i cant even find it in the play store. Is it only compatible with new devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its much more useful when you are travelling. I used it in the US a lot recently and it'll give me daily currency rates, tourist sites near me.
    If you have a calendar appointment with location added, it'll tell you when you need to leave based on current traffic conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

i feel such a gimp, i cant even find it in the play store. Is it only compatible with new devices?

It's built in to the latest Android Jelly Bean, not available in Play store.

As ongarite says, it's much more useful when you are away. I was in the USA earlier this year, it popped up lots of interesting stuff, weather, currency rates, nearby attractions, flight times etc.

I find it pretty boring at home, just weather, calendar and distance to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

This is it on the Play Store. As previously stated and on that page too you need to be running JellyBean, if you aren't go to XDA Developers and put a custom JellyBean ROM on your phone (providing there is one available).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

If you go into the settings menu in Google search you can see all the Google now options. Its also possible to tell it which is your favourite football team and how you'd like score updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I like it for casual use, but it's quite annoying that it doesn't show Munster rugby on the sports section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I've a drive-train-walk commute - doesn't show diddly for me even though I've set my work and home locations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I like it for casual use, but it's quite annoying that it doesn't show Munster rugby on the sports section.

no europa league results either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Or international soccer .

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Mine told me how many extra miles I walked in December than November . Thought that was pretty cool. Didn't even ask it, the card just popped up today.

• Advertisement

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Mine told me how many extra miles I walked in December than November . Thought that was pretty cool. Didn't even ask it, the card just popped up today.

yeah i got the same,

dont think its very accurate though, walk back from work every day (3k) and take dog for walk nearly every day too.

So unless i only worked 8 days in December....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Google knows you're a lazy bum! :pac:

Anyway, I saw that one and the weather one, I still haven't got any commute time cards, maybe because I have it set to public transport and it only works for driving?
    I already set my Home and Work locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

It's pretty useful but it's a big battery drain so I've had to turn it off recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Despite the battery drain I actually like Google now and use it all the time. In addition to the points made above if you do a search for say "Liffey Valley" in the browser or google search you will then see sometime later a card pop up with time and traffic to Liffey Valley, so its "thinking" ahead to what you might want to do next.

I think we'll see a lot more from Google Now over the next year. I think its going to be one of those killer apps for a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I really like it. When I'm away somewhere the translator is available & shows sites of interests near by. Cinema listings are shown when near a cinema, shows what restaurants and bars are in my area, if I searched for something recently on Maps it shows me the directions and shows the current traffic situation and time to get there. It shows the timetable for my train when it's time to go to work or home from work. It's pretty clever over all.

Plus I walked 10 more miles in December than I did in November :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

jester77 wrote: »
    I really like it. When I'm away somewhere the translator is available & shows sites of interests near by. Cinema listings are shown when near a cinema, shows what restaurants and bars are in my area, if I searched for something recently on Maps it shows me the directions and shows the current traffic situation and time to get there. It shows the timetable for my train when it's time to go to work or home from work. It's pretty clever over all.

Plus I walked 10 more miles in December than I did in November :D
    Are you in the US or UK ?

I have never got cinema info, i search quite a lot for movies, granted not always cinema releases but when i'm down near the cinema or a movie i searched for is released i still get nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

make sure you have it enabled in the settings.
    danniemcq wrote: »
    I have never got cinema info, i search quite a lot for movies, granted not always cinema releases but when i'm down near the cinema or a movie i searched for is released i still get nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

long_b wrote: »
    Are you in the US or UK ?

Germany.

I get movie listings near the cinema.

Another cool thing, kind of thing creepy is this. Every Saturday I collect my son at the same time. One Saturday a card appeared telling me the commute time to the destination. Now I get this every Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    make sure you have it enabled in the settings.

yup its all active.

just outta curiousity are people usually walking around with GPS enabled? or just relying on the network location

yup its all active.

just outta curiousity are people usually walking around with GPS enabled? or just relying on the network location

I have started leaving on the gps to make better use of google now. I was turning it off to save on battery but the way i see it I'm charging every night anyway so it doesnt make much difference to my battery.

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    I have started leaving on the gps to make better use of google now. I was turning it off to save on battery but the way i see it I'm charging every night anyway so it doesnt make much difference to my battery.

yeah guess i'll give that a go for a while and see

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I like the way it tells me how long my commute is to and from work, and any delays, and also how long to get home from anywhere I am - pretty cool. Impressive how it knows where I'm thinking of going based on my search although sometimes it gets it wrong.

What I would like it to be able to do is to take audio notes for me. I use Google Tasks within Gmail, does anyone know how I can get it to take a note and add it to my task list?

Leaving gps on makes no difference to battery usage if you don't have an app open using gps. I have always had mine on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does the same go for Bluetooth?

Zascar wrote: »
    Does the same go for Bluetooth?

No, Bluetooth like wifi is always beaconing

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Leaving gps on makes no difference to battery usage if you don't have an app open using gps. I have always had mine on.

i guess you would get more drain though for stuff like twitter when it grabs your position or any other apps that go looking when they really don't need too (really bad piggies really?) so i guess if you have them running the GPS will be looking.

Although LBE privacy Guard can put a stop to that (although if running jelly bean which Google Now requires it can cause boot loops but the chinese version translated by the lads over at XDA works a treat)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

I went to do an update for this recently and one of the permissions it was requesting was to read my sms.
    What's all that about?
    Needless to say I didn't update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I've my Nexus 7 for a few months and find Google Now getting better. I travel to Glasgow every few weeks and it works much better there.
    As soon as I get off the plane it tells me the weather, currency rate and that the next bus to the city center (the 505 which I always get) leaves in 8 minutes as well as the two after that. When the bus starts it tells me duration to destination etc. It suggests restaurants, night life, shows etc and shows distance to and from hotel.

At home it's not near as good just showing me distance to work/home, weather and Man Utd (fixtures, live scores and results). I must have once searched Fulham FC as it started showing their info too until I removed them manually. I added Apple, Google, Facebook in my stock portfolio on Google Finance and it shows me the price if they rise or drop more than 1% in a day. Probably see that card every 10 days on average.

I really wish it would use the info like birthdays from the contacts app to alert me. Currently it only uses the info from Google+ which none of my family or friends use.

Advertisement