Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

• 14-02-2012 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

New report came out on fri.Spotted this on Twitter. I know this has been discussed here many, many times, but how can we convince the Joe Duffy brigade that this is the right idea. And before anyone gets the wrong idea, decriminalise, no mention of legalise. Make it ok for anyone to grow a plant for their own use, in their own home. Remove the criminal element and let the Gardai spend the time and resources on more important things
    Drug warriors often contend that drug use would skyrocket if we were to legalize or decriminalize drugs in the United States. Fortunately, we have a real-world example of the actual effects of ending the violent, expensive War on Drugs and replacing it with a system of treatment for problem users and addicts.

Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half:
    Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal’s decision 10 years ago to decriminalise drug use and treat addicts rather than punishing them is an experiment that has worked.

“There is no doubt that the phenomenon of addiction is in decline in Portugal,” said Joao Goulao, President of the Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction, a press conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the law.

The number of addicts considered “problematic” — those who repeatedly use “hard” drugs and intravenous users — had fallen by half since the early 1990s, when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said.

Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added.

“This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies.”

http://onforb.es/pY4zDB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

And the Vancouver example.

Just getting the sources in early for when this turns to a debate on legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Vasco de gama would be proud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    New report came out on fri.Spotted this on Twitter. I know this has been discussed here many, many times, but how can we convince the Joe Duffy brigade that this is the right idea. ..........

1 - Brain transplants
    2 - Pointing guns at them.

As drug policy in most countries seems to be driven 'Moral Outrage', high horsing and so on, I'd say them above is the only chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

On the face of it, giving drug addicts free heroin is a contentious move, but that is exactly what happens in Switzerland.

A referendum last year was overwhelmingly passed to approve the program, which has been running for years as a trial.

It gives security to a system designed for those addicts who have failed all other treatment options. But it is not without its critics.

On an early morning in the heroin clinic, addicts line up for their turn to receive a syringe with a carefully measured dose of pure heroin.

They take it to a desk and either self-inject, or get a staff member to help.

Amongst the regulars is Jason. He still hopes to kick the habit, but says until then it is a whole lot better than his old life on the streets.

"Before I was on the program I was totally down to the floor. I was around not even 60 kilos," he said.

"I lost my job, I lost my apartment; I looked like ****.

"And then when I came here I was able to work again, I gained quite a lot of weight since then also and then I can be back to life.

"[If I didn't have this program] I would probably be dead."

Dr Christoph Buerki runs the Berne clinic. He has around 200 clients and says the program is good for addicts and for society.

"Once a patient enters our treatment he would very much to a large degree - and the statistics have proven that - would reduce his illegal activities," he said.

"So that's one very, very important point also for society."

Dr Buerki denies criticism that the program is just feeding the addiction and not actually controlling it.

"They come here from the heroin, but once you have them in treatment, you start working with them," he said.

"There's a whole lot of treatment involved in it."

Despite the referendum approving of this program by a two-thirds majority, it is not without its critics, like Sabine Geissbuhler from Parents Against Drugs.

She argues the system just feeds a habit rather than looking for a cure.

"I think it's very bad because there is no goal to make them free of drugs because you can't get free from a drug if you give it," she said.

Whatever side of the argument you are on, no-one would want a return to the early 90s, where public parks in the major cities were turned into drugs bazaars.

Evelyn is a long-term user who is still on the program. She returns to the Berne park where she used to buy her drugs.

It looks very different and a metre of topsoil has to be removed because used needles had contaminated the soil.

The ABC's Foreign Correspondent first met Evelyn 12 years ago when she had joined the heroin trial to escape a life of degradation.

"[I was] begging in the streets for instance or even prostitution. I didn't do that very much, but [I did it and] I hate myself for this," she told the program.

But she says these days life is better.

"I'm still on heroin, but I don't drink anymore, I don't run after the drugs, I don't have to lie to anybody anymore," she said.

Detractors say the fact she is still an addict after all these years is evidence the program has failed.

But she says the fact she is alive and living a productive life without resorting to crime is clear evidence of its success.

Either way, conservative Switzerland opted for a radical solution, one some say could work equally well in places like Australia.

Or Ireland This would really work here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

Some great news there for Portugal....

In even better news;

Actor Steven Seagal Sued for Driving Tank into Arizona Home, Killing Puppy.

Two of the best stories ive heard in ages on the same page - what a news day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Heroin use has dropped in Ireland too im guessing. There were epidemics all over the world and i think educating people on the dangers of drug abuse have tackled the epidemic. It is a statistic that can derived from many factors and i wouldn't contribute this to just a change in legislation it was more significantly and decision to tackle a problem rather then ignore it.

I think people more educated about heroin and whether you legalise it or not is i irrelevant and it is the effort and approach that changed even here in ireland with a more sympathetic system.

If you look more closely at portugal you will likely find they established a service to educate people and deal with addicts effectively.I doubt they just handed out heroin.

pirelli wrote: »
    Heroin use has dropped in Ireland too im guessing. ........

"Ireland is suffering a surge in heroin use with both in major cities and in towns across the country, a new report has shown.
    According to the Merchants Quay Ireland (MQI) Annual Review for 2009, lunched today (24 September),  the numbers attending MQI drugs services increased by 9 per cent last year.
    The heroin problem continued to grow in Dublin with 642 new injectors presenting to the MQI Needle Exchange Services while the numbers availing of the MQI prison-based addiction counselling service, which operates in 13 prisons across the country, exceeded 1,000 for the first time"
    http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/heroin-in-ireland-skyrockets-005555-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Over the past few weeks, I've learned to look past drug users's raving ruses. I've learned to look past some of the unsavory things drug users has said. I've even learned to look past its attempts to unleash carnage and barbarity. But I cannot stay silent about drug users's incomprehensible and unforgivable audacity regarding a specific event that recently occurred. Here's the story: Drug users preys on the rebellious and disenfranchised, tricking them into joining its Praetorian Guard. Their first assignment usually involves destroying our culture, our institutions, and our way of life. The lesson to draw from this is that drug users has been teaching young children to parrot such Pecksniffian sentences as, "Drug users possesses infinite wisdom." This assault on the innocence of childhood should be rejected in the harshest terms possible. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that drug users has, on a number of occasions, expressed a desire to replicate the most xenophobic structures of contemporary life. On all of these occasions I submitted to the advice of my friends, who assured me that it makes a living out of mercantalism. I call this tactic of its "entrepreneurial mercantalism". Drug users and its assistants have unmistakably raised entrepreneurial mercantalism to a fine art by using it to turn our country into a vicious, censorious cesspool overrun with scum, disease, and crime.

It would be great if all of us could serve on the side of Truth. In the end, however, money talks and you-know-what walks. Perhaps that truism also explains why drug users views ultraism as a succedaneous religion that authorizes it to poison the relationship between teacher and student. It follows from this that exclusionism has served as the justification for the butchering, torture, and enslavement of more people than any other "ism". That's why it's drug users's favorite; it makes it easy for it to pooh-pooh the concerns of others. I'll talk about that another time. I have other, more important, things to discuss now. For starters, if drug users believes that its tactics are Right with a capital R, then it's obvious why it thinks that superstition is no less credible than proven scientific principles.

Regardless of what philanthropic enthusiasts or visionary dreamers may say about corporate perfectibility, drug users has a history of weaving its unreasonable traits, illaudable roorbacks, and sex-crazed warnings into a rich tapestry that is sure to rule with an iron fist. That's too big of a subject to get into here so let me instead discuss how drug users uses the word "orbiculatoelliptical" to justify defacing property with racially and sexually derogatory epithets and offensive symbols. In doing so, it is reversing the meaning of that word as a means of disguising the fact that the main dissensus between me and drug users is that I assert that drug users is unable to deal with a world populated by human beings. It, on the other hand, contends that character development is not a matter of "strength through adversity" but rather, "entitlement through victimization". I challenge all of the cantankerous, Bourbonism-prone nithings out there to consider this: Drug users is on some sort of thesaurus-fueled rampage. Every sentence it writes is filled with needlessly long words like "interchangeableness" and "pseudolamellibranchiate". Either drug users is deliberately trying to confuse us or else it's secretly scheming to stifle dissent. Let me end this letter by challenging my readers to provide an atmosphere of mutual respect, free from obscurantism, phallocentrism, and all other forms of prejudice and intolerance. Are you with me, or with the forces of tuchungism and oppression?

TheZohan wrote: »
    Over the past few weeks, I've learned to look past drug users's raving ruses. I've learned to look past some of the unsavory things drug users has said. I've even learned to look past its attempts to unleash carnage and barbarity. But I cannot stay silent about drug users's incomprehensible and unforgivable audacity regarding a specific event that recently occurred. Here's the story: Drug users preys on the rebellious and disenfranchised, tricking them into joining its Praetorian Guard. Their first assignment usually involves destroying our culture, our institutions, and our way of life. The lesson to draw from this is that drug users has been teaching young children to parrot such Pecksniffian sentences as, "Drug users possesses infinite wisdom." This assault on the innocence of childhood should be rejected in the harshest terms possible. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that drug users has, on a number of occasions, expressed a desire to replicate the most xenophobic structures of contemporary life. On all of these occasions I submitted to the advice of my friends, who assured me that it makes a living out of mercantalism. I call this tactic of its "entrepreneurial mercantalism". Drug users and its assistants have unmistakably raised entrepreneurial mercantalism to a fine art by using it to turn our country into a vicious, censorious cesspool overrun with scum, disease, and crime.

It would be great if all of us could serve on the side of Truth. In the end, however, money talks and you-know-what walks. Perhaps that truism also explains why drug users views ultraism as a succedaneous religion that authorizes it to poison the relationship between teacher and student. It follows from this that exclusionism has served as the justification for the butchering, torture, and enslavement of more people than any other "ism". That's why it's drug users's favorite; it makes it easy for it to pooh-pooh the concerns of others. I'll talk about that another time. I have other, more important, things to discuss now. For starters, if drug users believes that its tactics are Right with a capital R, then it's obvious why it thinks that superstition is no less credible than proven scientific principles.

Regardless of what philanthropic enthusiasts or visionary dreamers may say about corporate perfectibility, drug users has a history of weaving its unreasonable traits, illaudable roorbacks, and sex-crazed warnings into a rich tapestry that is sure to rule with an iron fist. That's too big of a subject to get into here so let me instead discuss how drug users uses the word "orbiculatoelliptical" to justify defacing property with racially and sexually derogatory epithets and offensive symbols. In doing so, it is reversing the meaning of that word as a means of disguising the fact that the main dissensus between me and drug users is that I assert that drug users is unable to deal with a world populated by human beings. It, on the other hand, contends that character development is not a matter of "strength through adversity" but rather, "entitlement through victimization". I challenge all of the cantankerous, Bourbonism-prone nithings out there to consider this: Drug users is on some sort of thesaurus-fueled rampage. Every sentence it writes is filled with needlessly long words like "interchangeableness" and "pseudolamellibranchiate". Either drug users is deliberately trying to confuse us or else it's secretly scheming to stifle dissent. Let me end this letter by challenging my readers to provide an atmosphere of mutual respect, free from obscurantism, phallocentrism, and all other forms of prejudice and intolerance. Are you with me, or with the forces of tuchungism and oppression?

Are you going to credit the author of that?

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you going to credit the author of that?

Yes.

TheZohan you're a legend.

• Advertisement

Yes.

TheZohan you're a legend.

Doesn't look like it was written for this thread.
    Over the past few weeks, I've learned to look past drug users's raving ruses.

Let me end this letter by challenging my readers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

No ****.

Are you not reading my post? Does that not make you a reader? A letter is a form of written communication, strictly speaking it doesn't have to be drafted upon papyrus parchment and written in ink. I may not be as verbose as some posters but from time to time I will put in some effort to construct a more serious argument.

Good day Sir.

Are you not reading my post? Does that not make you a reader? A letter is a form of written communication, strictly speaking it doesn't have to be drafted upon papyrus parchment and written in ink. I may not be as verbose as some posters but from time to time I will put in some effort to construct a more serious argument.

Good day Sir.

In fairness "Drug Users" was clearly substituted in place of something else in every instance.

:pac:

Seachmall wrote: »
    In fairness "Drug Users" was clearly substituted in place of something else in every instance.

:pac:

Sush!!

Oh a grammar Nazi is it?

Good day Sir.

I'm sure you do. This, for no reason I can imagine, doesn't appear to match your normal writing style though. It doesn't match well to the subject matter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Somebody read Zohans post, are you on drugs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I lol'd.

Somebody read Zohans post, are you on drugs?!

...strangely enough, no. Nor, sadly, have I had any in some considerable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

1 - Brain transplants
    2 - Pointing guns at them.

As drug policy in most countries seems to be driven 'Moral Outrage', high horsing and so on, I'd say them above is the only chance.

Brain transplants eh? The liberal illuminati strike again :rolleyes:

How could you expect people to listen to any argument for anything with answers like that? It's not just moral outrage and high horsing. For every study showing that decriminalising or legalising drugs works, there's another one that says hash is a gateway drug for other far more dangerous drugs, so people have a right to be concerned.

This study actually looks good. As long as it stops with growing hash/marijuana/weed in the home and only amounts to enough for personal use, then fair enough. Worth trialling it and seeing what happens. Also worth noting that the Netherlands are curbing their marijuana laws and imposing restrictions. So clearly legalising marijuana the way they did, opening it up to everyone and anyone, didn't work. Any talk of legalising heroin or anything is nonsense. Headshops got a chance. Look how that turned out.

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »

How could you expect people to listen to any argument for anything with answers like that? .

I don't actually expect them to listen to any argument. Nor do I expect dogs to fly. The treatment of various advisers to the UK government and its recriminalisation of cannabis shows a far too common mentality.
    Headshops got a chance. Look how that turned out.

'Moral Outrage', high horsing?

token101 wrote: »

How could you expect people to listen to any argument for anything with answers like that? It's not just moral outrage and high horsing. For every study showing that decriminalising or legalising drugs works, there's another one that says hash is a gateway drug for other far more dangerous drugs, so people have a right to be concerned.

This study actually looks good. As long as it stops with growing hash/marijuana/weed in the home and only amounts to enough for personal use, then fair enough. Worth trialling it and seeing what happens. Also worth noting that the Netherlands are curbing their marijuana laws and imposing restrictions. So clearly legalising marijuana the way they did, opening it up to everyone and anyone, didn't work. Any talk of legalising heroin or anything is nonsense. Headshops got a chance. Look how that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Decriminalising is the only logical route. It will never happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

RichieC wrote: »
    Decriminalising is the only logical route. It will never happen.
    I'd agree with that, thankfully. Maybe you need to read the report quoted in the OP again -

"Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added.

“This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies.” "

So a multi-phasic, multi-dimensional approach can work, a solution that has been advocated by many treatment and medical professional for decades.

Ah yes, between the plagiarised post with the consequentially appalling grammar and the detail missed from the useful OP, a potentially informative thread has become yet another boringly familiar re-hash of "the facts, ma'am, just the facts"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mathepac wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, thankfully. Maybe you need to read the report quoted in the OP again -

"Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added.

“This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies.” "

So a multi-phasic, multi-dimensional approach can work, a solution that has been advocated by many treatment and medical professional for decades.

Ah yes, between the plagiarised post with the consequentially appalling grammar and the detail missed from the useful OP, a potentially informative thread has become yet another boringly familiar re-hash of "the facts, ma'am, just the facts"
    So I'm confused: are you against a decriminalization measure because you might have to couple it with ... Treatment and Risk Reduction policies?

Bet you a tenner it would be cheaper than the cost of enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Honestly not sure if serious....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 grazz

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    New report came out on fri.Spotted this on Twitter. I know this has been discussed here many, many times, but how can we convince the Joe Duffy brigade that this is the right idea. And before anyone gets the wrong idea, decriminalise, no mention of legalise. Make it ok for anyone to grow a plant for their own use, in their own home. Remove the criminal element and let the Gardai spend the time and resources on more important things

http://onforb.es/pY4zDB

Prohibition does not work with any drug, it breeds crime and black markets. Alcohol would be no different if it was illegal, it would be a booming industry with criminals. When any drug, marijuana included is legalised and people are treated like adults and allowed to experiment with completely natural substances found in nature, those drugs are just as social as alcohol, if not more given that people on weed dont start up fights and smash things. Most people on other drugs would have no problem paying taxes on substances if they were legal like we pay on alcohol, I hate it with a passion when some try to make out that weed smokers are some sort of criminal sponsoring, tax dodgers. What other choice do people have when we have a nanny state that tells what we can and cant put into our bodies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Overheal wrote: »
    So I'm confused: are you against a decriminalization measure because you might have to couple it with ... Treatment and Risk Reduction policies? ...
    I have stated explicitly what I could support (from both a professional and personal perspective) -
    ... a multi-phasic, multi-dimensional approach ... [as]... has been advocated by many treatment and medical professional for decades. ...
    Does that clear your confusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

tl;dr.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I lol'd.

Me too, Long Live The Zohan!

Advertisement