Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us yer tank! (DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

fungun wrote: »
    id be interested to know the final cost of an entire marine setup.....it has been in my mind for a while as i moved from typical community to cichlids....seems like the obvious next step!

Over 1000 euro so far on the list of stuff I have posted.Still more bits and bobs to buy for going into the sump underneath the tank.

That doesnt even include the cost of having a tank made or the cabinet and sump made either.

Still will have to get marine salt,live rock and alot of other stuff just to get started.

We plan on producing our own marine water (RO water system and marine salt),so we wont have to buy it each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

This is my new marine tank, I moved everything over from my smaller 94 litre tank at the weekend, a few corals, 1 clown and a pair of seahorses.
    All are doing well and love the extra room!!

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

fungun wrote: »
    id be interested to know the final cost of an entire marine setup.....it has been in my mind for a while as i moved from typical community to cichlids....seems like the obvious next step!
    It's been my goal since I got into fish keeping to have a marine setup. From what I can see so far it's not even worth trying without a budget of €1500 of more...

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's been my goal since I got into fish keeping to have a marine setup. From what I can see so far it's not even worth trying without a budget of €1500 of more...

You would be more than wellcome to come up and view our 2 tank setups (Discuss and Marine),once the marine tank is made,delievered and its all setup and running.:)

My new marine tank,cabinet and sump tank,as of this evening,ready to be collected from Seahorse Aquariams.:)

300 litre tank

DSCF9958.jpg
    DSCF9953.jpg

Wallnut Cabinet (double doors on both sides)

DSCF9959.jpg

120 litre sump tank

DSCF9957.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Are fish tanks heavy on electric. Would love to have a fish tank some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cena wrote: »
    Are fish tanks heavy on electric. Would love to have a fish tank some time.

totally size and temp dependant....

marine use the most juice then tropical then coldwater. Bigger the tank the bigger the pump, heater and lighting requirements.

I ran a 90L tropical with minor minor increase it consumption, maybe a fiver a month. But you can watch the fish and leave the TV off saving power that way too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not my own tank (obviously), but i saw this online and thought it was a really cool idea. :)

6evdx.jpg

I'd get no work done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

how the hell would you clean that thing

plus the chicks working there would spend most of the day in the loo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Santa Clause (aka Ms Seafields) bought me a new tank for Christmas. Used to be well into it as a younger lad and had no idea I was getting one til Christmas eve.

Just set it up today and filled it. Added a few plants. Fish next week maybe. This forum (which I didnt know existed until a few weeks back! :o) has been a great read to catch up on things.

Like a child again :)

You'll need to leave it a bit longer before adding fish... read the "cycling a tank" sticky :)

here's another "it's not mine, but still it's pretty special" tank i found online. :)

gEYojh.jpg

Utterly beautiful but how on earth do you maintain a tank with a solid top?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd imaging the lid comes off, sure it would have to. Just looking at it there, where are the lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I think the top is Open

It looks like the water flows over the back of the tank , Gets filtered and is pumped back in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Very large tanks need very little maintenance. They are in their own eco system

Those thanks could be hooked up to a much larger volume of water else where that cuts down on maintenance

if you look at the top edge, it's curved in all the way around so that the water slightly overflows the top of the tank and runs down the outside, all the way around it into a gutter, also running right round the tank at the bottom, so when you look at the tank from the side, you are effectively looking through a thin film of water.

at least that's what it looks like to me, but i could be wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's a 120 litre consisting of 7 Neolamprologus multifasciatus, 1 Neolamprologus leleupi, 4 Cyps, 5 Golden Apple snails and 1 Pleco.

fish029s.jpg

fish035s.jpg

MULTIS

fish039s.jpg

fish027s.jpg

Leleupi

fish025s.jpg

fish020s.jpg

fish016s.jpg

fish013s.jpg

fish008s.jpg

fish005s.jpg

fish001s-1.jpg

da1dc977.jpg

Cyps

fish022s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Looks Great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The Leleupi is beautiful. Must post some pics of my own tank over the weekend.

I've gone up in the world
    2012-01-22164457.jpg
    :)
    218L, 120cm x 38 x 48; custom built with cabinet and hood
    Hydor Prime 20 external filter
    300W heater
    Airpump and lines
    Full set of test kits
    20+ fake plants and a giant bell

only the equiv of 180 euro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've gone up in the world

:)
    218L, 120cm x 38 x 48; custom built with cabinet and hood
    Hydor Prime 20 external filter
    300W heater
    Airpump and lines
    Full set of test kits
    20+ fake plants and a giant bell

only the equiv of 180 euro :D
    I am insanely jealous. Can't wait to see it all stocked up.

kylith wrote: »
    I am insanely jealous. Can't wait to see it all stocked up.

no idea what's going in it yet (or even where in the house it's going)

But it'll be a sand base, probably black since that's the colour of the sand here and people seem perfectly happy to take beach sand, clean it and use it.

Lots of plants in this one, the fake plants will not be used, or may just fill some gaps in the early stages. so some form of under layer will be needed for proper root growth and stability.

I'm torn between getting a large shoal of tetras / corys or fewer larger fish. Decisions, decisions...

I found out that although the shops around here are great stockwise, one of the larger wholesale suppliers are based here so I should be able to get the shops to custom order for me without too much trouble *crosses fingers

At 218l you can easily have a large shoal of tetras as well as a few larger fish. My community tank originally had 14 neon tetra a couple of clown loach, 4 dwarf gouramis, 4 guppies and a pleco.

I'd certainly recommend the dwarf gourami, they're beautiful fish and while they don't seem to take any guff from the other fish, I've not had any problems with fin-nipping / bullying.

Would it be big enough for discus? Kinsealy here have a beautiful display tank with discus and neon tetras.

Sleepy wrote: »
    At 218l you can easily have a large shoal of tetras as well as a few larger fish. My community tank originally had 14 neon tetra a couple of clown loach, 4 dwarf gouramis, 4 guppies and a pleco.

I'd certainly recommend the dwarf gourami, they're beautiful fish and while they don't seem to take any guff from the other fish, I've not had any problems with fin-nipping / bullying.

I had honey gouramis before which I really liked, dwarf was just a little big for my previous tank. Was thinking of them too though.
    I would be talking 20-25 tetras as a nice shoal, 10 or so cory, an apple snail or two.
    Plenty of time to decide though, at least 8 weeks before I can stock between cycling and other stuff I need to do before I can look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Just put this together over the last few weeks.

Jewel 120L tank, 2 air stones and box filter.

Just goldfish in it at the moment (from a smaller tank)
    They are going into the pond in May / June.

Have plans on moving these fish into my dad's tank in a few weeks while I research a tropical tank :D

photo.jpg

no idea what's going in it yet (or even where in the house it's going)

But it'll be a sand base, probably black since that's the colour of the sand here and people seem perfectly happy to take beach sand, clean it and use it.

Lots of plants in this one, the fake plants will not be used, or may just fill some gaps in the early stages. so some form of under layer will be needed for proper root growth and stability.

I'm torn between getting a large shoal of tetras / corys or fewer larger fish. Decisions, decisions...

I found out that although the shops around here are great stockwise, one of the larger wholesale suppliers are based here so I should be able to get the shops to custom order for me without too much trouble *crosses fingers

Some Discuss,amd a small shoal of cardinal tetras or chain loaches.

The above would make for lovely and gracefull fish and they would make perfect use of that tank.:)

buzz wrote: »
    Just put this together over the last few weeks.

Jewel 120L tank, 2 air stones and box filter.

Just goldfish in it at the moment (from a smaller tank)
    They are going into the pond in May / June.

Have plans on moving these fish into my dad's tank in a few weeks while I research a tropical tank :D

Yarrrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

My tanks:

Cichlid tank:
    cichlid1.jpg

Planted tank:
    planted1.jpg

My Melanochromis auratus babies!!!
    babiesinaline.jpg

My convict babies!!!
    motherandbabies.jpg