Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oasis split

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

Oasis, or Blur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

jackncoke wrote: »
    Wow,Ive always hated the Bloc Party, but what a muppet

now that is sad. just makes him look like a tosser

as a lifelong oasis fan i am gutted to hear the news but hopeful they will be back, they have never had a "bad" album, just some of them are not up to the high standards they set themselves, its hard to recreate genius over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

jackncoke wrote: »
    I feel a day of Oasis music coming on

I spent my afternoon bangin out tunes on the guitar. The back catalogue is just fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I like Bloc Party a lot....but Kele is just a pretentious knob for saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bloc Party are just a part of an endless sea of poser bands in Indie right now, so I couldn't give a rats ass about what Kele thinks. Kele would have been kissing ass last night had it not been for Noel (I think) dismissing them as a band last year. So this is just petty stuff really.

As for this thread, I find it comical that people are dismissing Oasis as well past their sell by date, when they probably think that U2 have still got it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Miller Nice Utensil

Bloc Party are ****e and that video is just another testament to what useless and worthless ***** they really are.

Heathen Chemistry is as good if not better than WTSMG, and I'd also bet that most of the people on here saying they havent done anything good since the first two albums would be the same ones moaning if it had been another band that had put out everything Oasis had since WTSMG that had just split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

nm wrote: »
    Bloc Party are ****e and that video is just another testament to what useless and worthless ***** they really are.

Heathen Chemistry is as good if not better than WTSMG, and I'd also bet that most of the people on here saying they havent done anything good since the first two albums would be the same ones moaning if it had been another band that had put out everything Oasis had since WTSMG that had just split.

i think the 1st 3 albums were classics, really love be here now. heathen chemistry and sotsog were both half albums imo. 1st half of heathen chemistry is as good as they ever done. dont believe the truth and doys are good solid albums but not groundbreaking.
    the masterplan sh!ts over anything bloc part ever done, kele should mull over that! there are also plenty of great b-sides not on that album - lets all make believe, carry us all, i got the fever, eyeball tickler, shout it out loud.

i think too many people latch onto the line, not relevant since 1995/6 etc without even listening to what they have produced since. obviously some would have and just not liked their music, fair enough, i respect their opinion. none of their albums in the 2000s are as good as 90s stuff (what is?) but still a lot of great tunes in there and thats what matters.

live forever:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

at 17 ive grown up on oasis and i am sick its over :(

oasis all day 2day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

The Gallagher's have been giving Bloc Party **** for years, I can understand why Kele is delighted with the news.

Bloc Party have only been around a few years and have already made better music than Oasis have achieved in a 20 year career. All Oasis managed was 2 decent albums at the start of the 1990's and minimum good tracks on the 7 albums that followed, same ****e album after album. At least Bloc Party have changed their sound and are alot more diverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭jingx3

Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands.

I feel sick, sooo many good memories and gigs seeing Oasis over the years.

This is the worst day ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Im a fan of Oasis and Bloc Party, and i find that hilarious from Kele. Lets be honest, Oasis have given some grief to them down the years, so Oasis are fair game when it comes to this.

I love how when someone says anything bad about Oasis, in response their poor albums are suddenly boosted to "fantastic" status by the fans, come on theyve had some poor albums sprinkled with good songs, but shocking albums all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

exiot wrote: »
    The Gallagher's have been giving Bloc Party **** for years, I can understand why Kele is delighted with the news.

Bloc Party have only been around a few years and have already made better music than Oasis have achieved in a 20 year career. All Oasis managed was 2 decent albums at the start of the 1990's and minimum good tracks on the 7 albums that followed, same ****e album after album. At least Bloc Party have changed their sound and are alot more diverse.

Bloc Party are nothing but a bunch of self-obsessed aspie soloists pretending to be a band, led by a pathetic post-colonial pastiche who thinks he's a black Morrissey.

They're pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 greenandwhite

aDeener wrote: »
    i think the 1st 3 albums were classics, really love be here now. heathen chemistry and sotsog were both half albums imo. 1st half of heathen chemistry is as good as they ever done. dont believe the truth and doys are good solid albums but not groundbreaking.
    the masterplan sh!ts over anything bloc part ever done, kele should mull over that! there are also plenty of great b-sides not on that album - lets all make believe, carry us all, i got the fever, eyeball tickler, shout it out loud.

i think too many people latch onto the line, not relevant since 1995/6 etc without even listening to what they have produced since. obviously some would have and just not liked their music, fair enough, i respect their opinion. none of their albums in the 2000s are as good as 90s stuff (what is?) but still a lot of great tunes in there and thats what matters.

live forever:cool:

Great post man, Also find it strange that the people knocking Oasis agree that the 1st 2 albums were great, but then they use the argument it was just the same after that, well if something is the same as something that was great then what is the problem? Greatest band since The Beatles, will be missed by millions. Any comments made by ****e bands are irrelevant. Oasis kicked the ****ing door down for guitar bands and if bloc party, kol, the killers or any of the **** that has appeared since were to split i don't think anyone would give a **** or even notice. Oasis we're and are far more important to people than any other band in music.

Live Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Again?

And Bloc Party are assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 greenandwhite

Again?

?? Explain ??

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I think Its a real shame and the end of an era for music... I'd say Liam was a ****ebag to work with :)

as for Kele from block party everybody knows their a bunch of posh pretentious tossers and that little reel there says as much

Oasis 1992 - 2009 gonna live foooooooreeeeever!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

Still can't believe they're done, I'd have been quite happy with them going on forever as they still churn out some great tunes and theres nothin like an oasis gig (minus the pints of piss). Noel solo career would be great for a while but Liam's presence on stage (when he's there) would be sorely missed, I'd imagine after a few years Noel will be dyin to get back on the road with them, although him and Liam really need to sort stuff out. Don't think Liam has ever seen Noel's 2 year old kid?

p.s. don't think bloc party should be mentioned in the same breathe as Oasis. Oasis are the band of a generation, bloc party don't come anywhere near that type of status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 enola/alone

Still can't believe it myself either. Its a shame really. Still though, glad I got to see them in Slane and the Point. As for Bloc Party's Kele whateverhisnameis, they'll never be half the band Oasis are, and he knows this. No band has caused as big a stir as Oasis did. They are deserving holders of the top two albums of all time, as voted by the people, published in Q magazine.

Oasis - RIP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No more bloc party talk. Back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

exiot wrote: »

Personally I can't tell the difference between them, Hard Fi, The Kooks and every other generic indie band out right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Meh...seen this all before...they'll be back together next week.:cool:
    They just need a bit of space. Noel will do some session work for awhile. Say his services are in demand by plenty of artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They saw what Blur did with the reunion and got jealous. Simple as. In three years they'll be back stealing Blur's reunion thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

Absolutely GUTTED. I can't believe they've actually split. I know they've had their bust ups in the past and they've said they're splitting up before, but this time I think it's for real. I think Noel really has had enough.

Here's to hoping Noel goes solo!!!!

Just relieved I got to see them twice this year, otherwise I'd definitely be kicking myself!!!! ;)

Bubs101 wrote: »
    They saw what Blur did with the reunion and got jealous. Simple as. In three years they'll be back stealing Blur's reunion thunder
    In any case Oasis have not recorded a decent album since Whats the story. And even that was not a touch on Definitely Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

In any case Oasis have not recorded a decent album since Whats the story. And even that was not a touch on Definitely Maybe.

In fairness, how could Noel continue to write songs like that? He was twenty-something/living in a council estate in Manchester/fcuk all money/unemployed/roadie - social commentating about that life. He can't exactly write songs like that anymore now can he!

And to be fair, I do think that Dig out your Soul is their best album since WTSMG....biblical stuff! :D

mspacman wrote: »
    In fairness, how could Noel continue to write songs like that? He was twenty-something/living in a council estate in Manchester/fcuk all money/unemployed/roadie - social commentating about that life. He can't exactly write songs like that anymore now can he!

And to be fair, I do think that Dig out your Soul is their best album since WTSMG....biblical stuff! :D
    Fair enough but IMO they are not the band they once were. Same can be said for JAMC. Since whats the story, Oasis's material has not up to the high standards of first two albums. Surprised they have managed to stay together for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Great post man, Also find it strange that the people knocking Oasis agree that the 1st 2 albums were great, but then they use the argument it was just the same after that, well if something is the same as something that was great then what is the problem? Greatest band since The Beatles, will be missed by millions. Any comments made by ****e bands are irrelevant. Oasis kicked the ****ing door down for guitar bands and if bloc party, kol, the killers or any of the **** that has appeared since were to split i don't think anyone would give a **** or even notice. Oasis we're and are far more important to people than any other band in music.

Live Forever

agree with you on the others but kings of leon are immensely popular(liam gallagher loves them)and while not as popular as oasis, i reckon a lot of people would give a **** if they split.

anyway back on topic, sad news that noel is gone id say he will do some solo stuff which will be good

Fair enough but IMO they are not the band they once were.

What band are?

Okay bands who maintained a good level of consistency for a long time. REM. Thats your benchmark.

• Advertisement

Okay bands who maintained a good level of consistency for a long time. REM. Thats your benchmark.

Oasis have produced tons of great stuff since 95. If they were to stay consistent and release albums that had the effect of defeinitely maybe and morning glory again and again they would be without doubt the best band in history, but no band is capable producing albums of that calibre one after the other for that amount of time. Only band that comes close to that is the beatles.

Advertisement