Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

do I pay the deposit for Plassey as soon as I apply? Even without having a room yet? ^^

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aragneer wrote: »
    do I pay the deposit for Plassey as soon as I apply? Even without having a room yet? ^^

They charge €250 as an application fee. That becomes your deposit if you're allocated a room.

Alright and do you normally get a receipt with it?

I just paid with it but the place I applied only changed to big bold letters saying:
    Your Application
    Your Induction

and nothing else. Just two emails saying I completed the app,says nothing about paying

Okay never mind now it says this:

Your Application
    You have submitted an application but have not yet paid your application fee

Your Induction
    You may now complete your Induction

But the 'pay fees' button has gone and I'm pretty sure the money went through.
    does this mean I paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marteh

It was showing me that too, I rang to make sure like, thats only how i know.

• Advertisement

That's so annoying, grr.
    I will ring later to find out what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ldu

HIII!!!! I'm an erasmus student going to UL for the autumn semester and i'm a bit lost regarding accommodation :confused:

in which village are there usually more international students?? I was thinking of staying at Kilmurry or groody...i mean they are both "cheap" (not as cheap as in my country :eek: ) , but what do you think of the facilities, the distance to the uni and all that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Ldu wrote: »
    HIII!!!! I'm an erasmus student going to UL for the autumn semester and i'm a bit lost regarding accommodation :confused:

in which village are there usually more international students?? I was thinking of staying at Kilmurry or groody...i mean they are both "cheap" (not as cheap as in my country :eek: ) , but what do you think of the facilities, the distance to the uni and all that??

For a start, Kilmurry is on campus few min walk to center, Groody is a 15 min walk to center of campus. A lot of people in Groody cycle though but as an international student, doubt you'll be bringing bike with you.. If you don't mind the walk, all for it, and afaik Groody is quite a bit cheaper than Kilmurry.

Unfortunately can only comment on Groody, living there now, but I'm sure there's at least one on here who has stayed in Kilmurry.
    Groody though, currently living in 3 bed 1 bathroom apartment, rooms are very spacious, double beds, ample kitchen/living room (small tv) but internet is a little temperamental. I say that but it has been quite good as of late but was horrible last semester. That's the wireless though, stick cable into laptop and wall and LAN is much more dependable and generally faster.
    In contrast there are 6 bedroom places, each with en suites but besides that I think everything else is the same.
    Has a sturdy fence around it and gates lock around 12 each night and over weekends. Security guards around every now and then, particularly on rowdy weeks, which in autumn semester, you're less likely to come across. Is a bit of noise but you're bound to get that wherever students gather.
    Groody close to a couple of take-aways, a Chinese, a subway and an off license.
    Also 5 min walk from Aldi supermarket and 2 petrol stations, one 24 hr, good for emergency milk and bread.
    In terms of international students, I can only go by the languages spoken of people I hear walking by my window but can at least confirm that they're definitely present, in what numbers I'm unsure.. There was a group singing outside my window other night actually, unsure of the language but know there's at least 5 here.. :P
    You may be able to request to stay with other international students if that's what you want..

There should be some Kilmurry and Groody reviews as well if you look back a few pages.. Sure someone from Kilmurry will fill you in on their part.
    I think wnolan1992 is living there now, or has at some point, some on campus student village any way, all the same... :P
    He'll fill you in.. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Pfft, they're not all the same. Dromroe is the shpot. :P

In seriousness though, Chris summed it up well.

I'm not sure of the price difference between Kilmurry and Groody, but when you're considering it, be sure to factor in that Killmurry is right on campus. The walk in from Groody can be a killer in the rain, and since you're coming in the Autumn, well, it's Ireland so you're gonna get rain. :P

If you go on campus, you'll likely be put living with other international students as they try and group ye AFAIK. Though I've lived with internationals before so you won't necessarily be in an all international house.

I think chance of study is well and truly over now..
    So priced up the 2, may need info myself next year.. :P

Groody:
    3 bed - 3024 + 300 dep
    6 bed w/ ensuite -3290 + 300 dep

Kilmurry:
    6 bed - 4160 + 250 dep
    8 bed - 3770 + 250 dep

Have you looked into all options though?
    Why did you pick Kilmurry out of 5 on campus (bar Plassey) student villages?
    Granted, you can probably excuse Cappa and Thomand based on price and not ideally situated either really lest you're doing something medical or music related.
    Plassey situated just outside UL gate, was the cheapest of student villages when I last checked (2/3 years ago..)
    Kilmurry and Dromroe pretty similar then, but I think Dromroe is best placed, again, a lot depending on where you'll be spending most of your time, but is nearest to library and main building anyway...
    If money isn't an issue I'd probably suggest Dromroe, unsure on pricings among Student villages but think this one is most practical. Have to get in soon though, think spaces are reserved for x number of international students anyway, but are high in demand.
    If money is an issue or you don't mind a walk and in particular find a walk in the rain both revitalizing and invigorating, then I'd suggest Groody or two of its neighbouring student villas, Troy and Brookfield. They're both priced similar to Groody except they both have a shuttle bus to UL!
    Besides that I know relatively little about them.. Been to Troy a few times, living space nice, decent sized TV, basic channels, will say it has a small kitchen considering 6 live there, it's just an extension to kitchen, similar to Groody and it's a shared bathroom, but to my knowledge they're en suite rooms as well.
    Know nothing about Brookfield bar shuttle bus but believe it's the same.
    You could always pick look for digs, which would be cheaper still, but you could end up with absolutely anyone there, it's a complete lottery and there's very little you can do then if they do make a lot of noise or a lot of mess as landlords generally only come around to collect money whereas in student accom can complain or move apartment completely to a 'friendlier' one..

Definitely look into others before settling on either Groody or Kilmurry, there's plenty more out there. Some fella posted a page where people review where they've stayed a few pages back as well, give that a look as well and happy surfing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Anyone know of any nice 3 bed houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Anyone know of any nice 3 bed houses?

Never heard of a 3 bed house in any of the estates. You'd probably have to go the Groody/Brookfield direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jde

hello im hoping to go to ul and out of all my preferences i got cappavilla for my accomodation! ive read so many reviews that its not good for 1st years and now ive told myself ill probably end up hating it! im a quiet person that doesnt go out much and i dont drink! can someone tell me about cappa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 6YearStruggle

jde wrote: »
    hello im hoping to go to ul and out of all my preferences i got cappavilla for my accomodation! ive read so many reviews that its not good for 1st years and now ive told myself ill probably end up hating it! im a quiet person that doesnt go out much and i dont drink! can someone tell me about cappa!!

I lived in Cappavilla and I'd highly recommend it! Although it's expensive, it's definitely worth it with the large room and en suite and also decent living area/kitchen. It is a fair bit away from the main campus though but this is also a great way to meet people as there's always people walking!
    Cappavilla is probably considered the quietest campus accommodation, compared to Plassey and Kilmurry anyways and regardless of where you are, there'll be no pressure to drink so don't worry about that :)
    You'll be put in with fellow first years and there's a common area at the front and always people walking around!
    Tbh I think from what you said, Cappavilla will suit you perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

jde wrote: »

well I got a place in Cappavilla aswell ;) Not drinking much (from time to time but that is maybe every 2 months). Hope to meet few nice people there hehe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

All non-drinkers very welcome here : https://www.facebook.com/JCPropertyIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Anyone planning to stay on Parkview hall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Anyone planning to stay on Parkview hall ?

Do you have a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Nah I'll be cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 valerie visconti

Hi,

A few days ago I've reviewed an application form and there was an opportunity to choose and mention all 5 residences in order of preference. But today I found this option impossible so I could choose only one. Did I fill up a right application? Is that still possible to mention all 5 in order of preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Anyone ever live in Bru na Ghrudáin? Think thats how its spelt, up near Groody! Looking at a house for me and 2 others next year (going to be 3rd years)

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Anyone ever live in Bru na Ghrudáin? Think thats how its spelt, up near Groody! Looking at a house for me and 2 others next year (going to be 3rd years)

My boyfriend and 4 others did. They lived in a 5 bedroom house. It was alright, a little musty, a little cold but it was a lot nicer than Elm, Milford, etc. It's kind of like a posh Elm Park but it depends on the house you get and also the walk to class was awful on mornings but a grand bike ride :)

Anything you need to know? I was there constantly ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Aragneer wrote: »
    My boyfriend and 4 others did. They lived in a 5 bedroom house. It was alright, a little musty, a little cold but it was a lot nicer than Elm, Milford, etc. It's kind of like a posh Elm Park but it depends on the house you get and also the walk to class was awful on mornings but a grand bike ride :)

Anything you need to know? I was there constantly ha.

Cheers. The house we're looking at seems nice enough! I'd defo bring my bike down if I live there... Is there any crack there at all on student nights?

To be honest our choice of house is between Briarfields and Bru na Grudáin!!

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Cheers. The house we're looking at seems nice enough! I'd defo bring my bike down if I live there... Is there any crack there at all on student nights?

To be honest our choice of house is between Briarfields and Bru na Grudáin!!

Actually there isn't a lot of stuff going on in Bru na Grudain on student nights. You hear more noise from the 'locals' of the area than the students really. If you want craic for student nights, elm, college court and milford are always the places :)

Briarfields gets a bit of craic sometimes too. I did M&M student patrol on freshers week and rag week in that part and there were a good few things happening. I guess it really depends on the people around you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭B8ZZ

Does anyone know places that have 3 bedrooms? A list that has them or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

where is best to find out about summer accomodation? there doesnt seem to be much up on usual websites yet.
    My current lease ends net week and i will be staying in Limerick for bit of the summer anyway.
    Do they just put signs on windows etc. i would be looking to get a summer rate.
    Shud be loads available id imagine. or do some people just not bother rent out for summer

any ideas where to look?

where is best to find out about summer accomodation? there doesnt seem to be much up on usual websites yet.
    My current lease ends net week and i will be staying in Limerick for bit of the summer anyway.
    Shud be loads available id imagine. or do some people just not bother rent out for summer

any ideas where to look?

Best bet would be to walk around the estates and look for signs. I know there's one or two in Oaklawns. Milford Grange and College Court would be good bets too.

Some landlords don't rent during the summer for whatever reason. I rang a good few a few weeks back and only found one that was renting.

The accommodation office have a list of landlords, but they don't have summer specific list. I just got the list and started ringing numbers off it. You can drop into the office and get it off them, email them and ask for it, or if you want I can send you on the list I got a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

any ideas where to look?

There be an ensuite room available in Cois Ghruda from tuesday next week onwards if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Was successful at my PE mature student interview but have to wait for offers to come out from the CAO on 3rd July. Have been looking at Groody and Courtyard, mate of mine was in Groody this year and I had a look at them last month, seems decent enough as far as student accommodation goes.

I'm only 27 so noise doesnt bother me that much. Am a bit hesitant to book anything yet just in case an offer isnt made. I know you don't get a full refund from Groody if you cancel but does anyone know if Courtyard gives full refunds in the event you don't get your course choice?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Started to warm towards Groody towards end again until the last week or so where the internet decided to resume charge over whether or not its user deserved to gain access. Bedrooms - excellent, can't complain. Kitchen - basic but easy to maneuver. TV - seems to vary in each place, mine was prehistoric but channels were decent, gets Sky Sports 1 and a Sky Movies channel...
    Internet though, hopefully they'll improve it but it's turned me off them in the future. Doesn't have shuttle bus either whilst 2 nearby places do. If you've a car won't matter though but there's Troy across the road for similar price, nice layout but without Sky Sports and Brookfield a bit behind it, has a shuttle bus, never been there though so couldn't judge, know it's an extra 3-5 mins walk on from Groody.. :P

Advertisement